Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 06-26-2011, 04:29 PM   #1

OEM exhaust minus bladder

I’m going to remove my goat bladder and leave my stock mufflers. Has anyone ever done this and if so how does it sound? It looks to be an easy thing to do just bend up some connecting pipes and weld or clamp it all together. I think I’ll go with clamping it together in case I don’t like the results.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-26-2011, 06:18 PM   #2

You are attempting to make a piece known as a Dutch Bypass.

It was a popular, but expensive, option over the years. Most just buy aftermarket pipes.

MT
VBA 936

Old 06-26-2011, 06:36 PM   #3

I didn't do it, but I just recently realized when I bought the bike it happened.
(I've got a thread going on here - (http://www.vulcanbagger.com/phpBB3/v...tart=15#368564)

overall I like the sound. It's quiet but you can still hear it.
I've also got a set of valk tips on there - so I would be curious to see what the sound is like compared with V&H with ultimate baffles....

I don't know what it sounds like with the goat, but without it I like it.
still very quiet, but has a bit of a rumble. (nothing loud enough to bother any of the neighbours), and I guess it's getting more air through the system too.

2004 1500fi - Blue and Grey
Ultra Nomad - In progress

CMC#12065 - Edmonton

Old 06-26-2011, 07:29 PM   #4

Gadgets site has a good article on the Dutch Bypass.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 06-27-2011, 05:41 PM   #5

Thanks for the info on the Dutch bypass. I don’t like the way that looks mine would be much cleaner. The reason for the Y is to connect the two pipes to even the back pressure to eliminate the popping when you de-accelerate. I’m sure it will not pop much worse than after market exhaust, the popping was one of my concerns on doing this mod. Sounds like no one has done it without the Y pipe.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-27-2011, 10:02 PM   #6

The popping is actually more likely caused by the exhaust reed valves. Take a look at Gadgets site for coasters or marbling. I purchased a set of coasters, Chuckster makes them, and removed the reed valves along with the cold start solenoids. Bike is much quieter and was able to get rid of a lot of unnecessary tubing.
VBA Member #1356
jandreu@hawaiiantel.net

Old 06-28-2011, 08:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by James "Bubba" Andreu
The popping is actually more likely caused by the exhaust reed valves. Take a look at Gadgets site for coasters or marbling. I purchased a set of coasters, Chuckster makes them, and removed the reed valves along with the cold start solenoids. Bike is much quieter and was able to get rid of a lot of unnecessary tubing.
Popping is caused by removing the connection crossover between the two exhausts. This is why they connect them together; it helps midrange torque and helps the exhaust equalizing their pressure because both pipes are on different pulses. This is why people with aftermarket exhaust have the popping when letting off on engine compression. Yes you can do things to help eliminate this but the easiest thing to do is put in a balance cross over pipe. This pipe helps the exhaust gases flow easier and smoothes out the pulses. The manufacturer spends many hours configuring the system to operate with the best efficiency and sometimes it’s better to leave things alone. I like the pop pop sound an unbalanced system has and I am willing to lose a little mid range power to have it. I’m going with an easily removable pipe on both exhausts in case I give up to much performance by removing the goat bladder and leaving of the crossover pipe. I don’t want to spend money on a power commander to bandage the problem I’ll just put it back to stock.