Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 10-23-2013, 06:39 PM   #1

Cruise control

I've had my new to me 2010 Voyager for about 6 weeks. During that time I've devoted some effort to wading thru the Owners Manual and to a certain extent the Maintenance Manual. Both of them say "The system (Cruise Control) is not disengaged when shifting change without using the clutch." I read that to say you can shift gears without using the clutch. Neither the OM nor the MM provides any guidance on how to perform this action safely.

Many years ago we did that with manual transmissions in cars but that was many years ago and I always questioned the prudence of the practice.

So the question, "Is it mechanically safe to shift without the clutch and what is the proper way to do that?"

Thanks,
Ed

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-23-2013, 07:00 PM   #2
Mega-Contributor

I think it's telling you that if you don't disengage the clutch, you're not going to disengage the cruise control when shifting. It is not suggesting that it's recommended to shift without using the clutch.

I have accidentally shifted without the clutch and with the cruise control on and it's jerky to say the least.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Tags
cruise control, voyager