Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Rides/Trip Reports/Travel Information

Old 10-13-2008, 10:05 AM   #1
Advanced Member

3rd Annual NorCal Fall Colors/Polar Bear Run

I told Valdez, after this weekend, he should rename this the Polar Bear Run.

Can you believe 22 degrees? That was the coldest it got Saturday on the top of Kit Carson Pass. After that, the weather warmed up gradually to a high of 38 over the next 100 miles. When we checked into the MeadowCliff Lodge in Coleville Calif. it was back down to 30*.

All though it was bitter cold, nobody was miserable at all, as everybody was prepared for the polar like conditions. Heavy jackets, winter gloves & face masks were a necessity on this ride.

We had 10 people on 5 bikes & one warm pickup as a support vehicle. Roll call included two Nomads, Valdez & Patty on one & myself on the other. One Honda VTX 1800, Uncle Bill. One BMW 1200, Les & Lorie. And one Harley Ultra, Alex & Jennifer. Anita & Sam drove the support vehicle.

Saturday night Valdez & his wife Patty hosted a party in their room that included a buffet style Mexican dinner that warmed everybody from the inside out. The burritos were delicious & the Margarita's from the blender were an added bonus. All the while NASCAR blasted from the TV.

Sunday morning we woke up to bright sunshine & a cold 23* outside. After a great breakfast we found out our return route & alternative, Hiway's 89 & 108, were closed due to snow & ice on the road. (I knew I should of packed that tire chain). So we back tracked over Carson Pass. This time the temperature had warmed up to a balmy 37* at 7990' elevation.

All the bikes ran w/o any problems in the cold. Not even a starting problem Sunday morning.

A big Thank You to Ron Valdez & his wife Patty for a fantastic & safe ride.

I cannot post pictures now due to my computer is in the repair shop & I'm on a loaner as I type this. Maybe Valdez will check in later with his pic's.....-Rich

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-13-2008, 10:21 AM   #2

Tough break on the weather, but hard to have a bad time with the company you mentioned. I rode with Valdez and company and did an overnighter near Bryce Canyon with them; and I'll second that it's a good group to spend time with.

I look forward to the pictures.

Old 10-13-2008, 01:11 PM   #3

Heading out

Hot ladies on a cold day 22 degrees here

Warming up with Hip Hop in Hope Valley

Burritos cooked in ice buckets and Margaritas in the blenda - An evening to rememba

Breakfast on Sunday

Head back home

Riders: Alex & Jennifer, Rich (Redeye) & Anita and Samantha (Sam), Les & Laurie, Uncle Bill, Ron (Valdez) & Patty at Meadowcliff Resort, Coleville California

Hope to see you next year!

Old 10-13-2008, 07:10 PM   #4

Looks like a great time! Wish I could have joined you, cold and all!

Audiogooroo - Daryl Porter
Colorado Springs, CO
VBA #248
VROC #17261
1999 Grn/Grn Nomad

Old 10-13-2008, 08:10 PM   #5
Top Contributor

Looks like you ladies and gents had a good time.
VBA 213
VROC 16913

Custer 09: Cortez 10: Crescent City 11: Kanab 12: Estes Park 13: Tahoe 14: Red Lodge 16

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-15-2008, 09:35 PM   #6

ditto