Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 10-01-2007, 09:19 PM   #1

Modular Helmets

My wife wants a modular flip-up helmet. Anyone have experience with these or any recommendations? (She got her E endorsement today) so her head is big and she wants a new helmet. LOL.
Thanks,
Zoom45

Bobby Risher
Terry, MS
Kawanow member # 124
South Central Group
2000 Nomad 1500 (carbed) 128,000 miles

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-01-2007, 09:22 PM   #2

Modular Helmets

I've been looking at an HJC. I think the style is Symax. It retails around $250. I have two friends who have that one and they really like them.

Old 10-01-2007, 09:39 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Idaho
Modular Helmets

Have friends that use them and seem to like them. They appear to have advantages over the solid full face helmet. I think that there will be one in my future.
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Old 10-01-2007, 09:48 PM   #4
Advanced Member

Modular Helmets

Never wore one. I still wear the half helmet. But I do have a friend that likes his.

Never could find one that would fit.. I got a big head you know
VBA #00077

Old 10-01-2007, 10:53 PM   #5

Modular Helmets

I have the HJC Modular helmet. It is so hot here that I usually wear a half helmet unless it's raining. The HJC is comfortable and well made. I find the noise from the pipes is actually louder when I wear the HJC over the 1/2 helmet - go figure.

I did read some post somewhere when I was researching the HJC that expressed concern over the helmet not holding up in a crash as well as a standard full face. I figured - oh well probably better than the 1/2 helmet I wear all the time.

PS Dont ever ride with the face flipped up - If you wrecked it could pull your head back hard enough to break your neck. Not pretty.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-02-2007, 05:04 AM   #6
Top Contributor

Modular Helmets

They're nice but not as strong as a fullface

Old 10-02-2007, 08:06 AM   #7
Top Contributor

Modular Helmets

Look for DOT approved of course but the best ones are Snell approved also. Not all common helmets will even pass the tests helmets are put through even though they cost couple hundred bucks. Shoei and Arai are two of the best brands but pricey. My TCW

Old 10-02-2007, 09:43 AM   #8

Modular Helmets

I have the Nolan N-100E...... It's awesome..... http://www.mxdirtrider.com/h-product...0e-vintage.htm

Old 10-02-2007, 10:17 AM   #9

Modular Helmets

Hey Doc,

Why do you think a Snell approval makes the helmet better? Never understood that. I thought Snell test were just different.
I went from a half to a full helmet following my accident. I'm going to purchase a flipup for next year. I don't like the full face. It's comfortable but is a hassle if I want to do something like take a drink of water while riding.

Old 10-02-2007, 10:22 AM   #10

Modular Helmets

I don't believe any of the modulars have Snell approval...... I may be mistaken.....

Old 10-02-2007, 10:38 AM   #11

Modular Helmets

Just my opinion but the front flip up section of the modular helmets have one screw on each side to hold that section to the rest of the helmet. It seems to me in an accident where significant force is applied to that part of the helmet it would shear off. Also that section of the helmet is held closed with a small metal and, in some cases a plastic, pin. this could unhook in a significnt crash also.

I found the following information on the webbikeworld website pertaining to snell and dot tests.

All motorcycle helmets sold in the U.S.A. must be DOT certified, but they are not required to be Snell certified. A motorcycle helmet that carries both DOT and Snell certification may have gone through different testing schemes, but may not necessarily be superior to helmets that carry only the DOT certification, although many motorcyclists look for both DOT and Snell certification. Snell publishes a listing of motorcycle helmets that are Snell certified on their website.

There's some level of controversy regarding which standard or testing regime is the "best", and it gets more complicated if you consider the European ECE 22.05 standard. For example, it's our understanding that Snell uses an edge anvil test that is not required for DOT certification.

You may hear different opinions about this particular test, and some manufacturers claim that a helmet designed to meet the Snell edge anvil test may end up being heavier than the same model designed to meet DOT-only or ECE 22.05.

Heavier helmets may not be as desirable as lighter helmets (see below), and may cause different types of trauma in case of an accident.

VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 10-02-2007, 10:50 AM   #12

Modular Helmets

I think the thing to be aware of is that a mod helmet should be considered a 3/4 as far as total protection goes. If having your face completely covered in a crash is important to you go with a full face to be assured of that.
The info that Topcat ( thanks) provided above I believe makes my point that snell approvals doesn't mean better it means different.

Old 10-02-2007, 10:52 AM   #13

Modular Helmets

Nico you are correct. None of the mods have snell approval most likely due to the facts that Topcat brought up.

Old 10-02-2007, 01:32 PM   #14
Top Contributor

Modular Helmets

Snell is a more strigent testing according to an in depth article I read on helmet testing. Alot of helmets can pass the DOT but few can pass the Snell. Guess you can read this how you want. I just use a half helmet myself but have a Shoei 3/4 also.

Old 10-02-2007, 03:36 PM   #15

Modular Helmets

doc do you have a website or web page we can reference? My helmet means a bunch to me. I want to wear the best I can get.

thanks