Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 09-30-2007, 07:02 PM   #1
Top Contributor

Sunday's NC Ride

I've really enjoyed seeing everyone's pics from their rides and have started throwing the camera in when I go somewhere....so here's today's story and I hope you like the pics and will come to Carolina to ride sometime.

I live in central NC....got up this morning and thought I'd go for a LITTLE ride and kept turning away from home at each new intersection ....turned into 348 miles through NC mountains.....some Tennessee and some Virginia. Had to break in that new ME880 didnt I???

This was Hwy88 in NC mountains where I pulled over for a quick rest...thought the Mtns looked nice.

Followed 88 over into Tennessee....I WAS LOOKING FOR YOU UNWIND2...probably still 200+ miles from you though.

Check this out...will have to be in my sig. line now I guess....ran across this little town...population less than 100...

Jumped on the Blue Ridge Parkway for about 20 miles and stopped to see a few Mountains on the way.

Last stop on the BRP...you can see Pilot Mountain in the background about 50+ miles away. (if anyone has ever driven up central NC on HWY 52 you go right by this mountain all by itself...it was the inspiration for Mount Pilot in the old Andy Griffin show..he was from an area about 20 or so miles from there)

The leaves will start turning up on the Parkway soon and traffic gets a little crazy, but I am sure we will make some runs up there and I will post some pics.....a few trees were starting to turn already.

Todd Frazier
VBA #0003
VBA National Leader-USA Operations/Garage Moderator - RETIRED
2006 Black Nomad since she was born
Greensboro, NC

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-30-2007, 07:06 PM   #2

Sunday's NC Ride

Hey Todd.....I enjoyed the pics. I should be there Wednesday. Just figured out today how badly I need a back tire. Boy, they sure look different sitting on a lift. Oh well, I don't have time to get one now. Will have ride very carefully and get one when I get back.

Old 09-30-2007, 07:58 PM   #3

Sunday's NC Ride

nice looking ride todd!

Old 09-30-2007, 08:44 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Idaho
Sunday's NC Ride

Very pretty country Todd, thanks for sharing.
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Old 09-30-2007, 09:15 PM   #5

Sunday's NC Ride

Nice pis Todd...This country we live in sure is beautiful!!!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-30-2007, 09:34 PM   #6

Sunday's NC Ride

Beautiful Pictures, Todd. Reminds me of when I was in Black Mountain a few years ago. My bike has been in the shop for six days, ten hours, and 22 minutes waiting on a damn valve stem for the front tire. :(" title="" border="0"/> And, my digital camera is in Italy for a year with one of my daughters. But, looking at your pictures, I'm inspired. I've decided when I pick up my bike tomorrow I'll drive straight to Target and pick up another camera.

This looks like a great ride you had today. I'm green with envy sitting here grounded. :'(
Neill

Old 09-30-2007, 09:51 PM   #7
Top Contributor

Sunday's NC Ride

Quote:
Nice pis Todd...This country we live in sure is beautiful!!!
Yes it is....and with all the pics we see on here it makes me appreciate it even more....its so different in the various regions

Quote:
Beautiful Pictures, Todd. Reminds me of when I was in Black Mountain a few years ago. My bike has been in the shop for six days, ten hours, and 22 minutes waiting on a d**n valve stem for the front tire. :(" title="" border="0"/> And, my digital camera is in Italy for a year with one of my daughters. But, looking at your pictures, I'm inspired. I've decided when I pick up my bike tomorrow I'll drive straight to Target and pick up another camera.

This looks like a great ride you had today. I'm green with envy sitting here grounded. :'(
Neill
That sucks Neill.....how did your valve stem go bad????

I know Black Mountain well and my daughter attends a youth camp in the area...I guess my son will be going there since he is getting to high school age too.

Todd Frazier
VBA #0003
Greensboro, NC

Old 09-30-2007, 09:52 PM   #8
Top Contributor

Sunday's NC Ride

Quote:
nice looking ride todd!
the ride or the RIDE (bike?).....I kinda like the looks of your bike too!!! ;)

Todd Frazier
VBA #0003
Greensboro, NC

Old 09-30-2007, 10:05 PM   #9

Sunday's NC Ride

[That sucks Neill.....how did your valve stem go bad????]

O.k. confession time. Stupid mistake. You know what a bother it is to air up the back tire with the bags still on? I got this great idea in the auto parts store when I saw this little valve stem extender with a chrome cap. I put it on there and sure enough, it makes it easier to reach even with the bags on. So, since they come in sets of four, I was standing there with three more in my pocket and I've got another tire. Hate to waste all three of the extras. Unfortunately, it extends the valve on the front tire just a little too much and when I backed it out of the garage it whacked it on the brake assembly. Bent it just enough to leak slowly and steadily. Dumb, dumb, dumb . . .

To top it off, nobody seems to carry the L-shaped valve stem in stock between California and Atlanta, so it's taken nearly a week to get the part in. Couldn't believe there wasn't a warehouse in Dallas or Houston with a drawer full of them.
Neill

Old 09-30-2007, 10:17 PM   #10

Sunday's NC Ride

Great Pics - Todd. I was born and raised in Asheville and I have lived in flat Texas for the last 25 years or so. I go home every summer but your picture made me homesick and made me wish I could get my bike up there sometime!! Thanks again!

Old 09-30-2007, 11:46 PM   #11

Sunday's NC Ride

Great pics Todd. 200 miles ....no it's further than that. I live all the way over in West TN. I am 350 miles west of Knoxville, 80 miles north of Memphis TN. I always grip about being in the flat part of the state, have to hop over to Missouri to catch some hills.LOL

I almost took a travel assignment in Asheville NC a couple of years ago. Tempted to take it 'cause of the roads to ride but turned it down 'cause of the nurse to patient ratio I was quoted. 10 patients per nurse was a bit much.....no thanks not on my nursing license.......I would have really enjoyed my days off though.
Kawanow Member #23
Hubbie-Ken '10 Metalic Black Goldwing

Old 10-01-2007, 10:45 AM   #12

Sunday's NC Ride

That would have been a sweet ride. We are talking about taking the Nomad up to the Big Meadow Lodge on skyline drive. It would be a better journey with a group of 3 to 4 bikes.

My bride of 24 years and I took a ride south from Virginia Beach over back roads and entered North Carolina at Moyock heading toward the Outer Banks. Our plan was to simply pack the saddlebags for an overnight trip south...somewhere. We ended up taking Route 34 to Elizabeth City, NC. Got a room at a brand new Fairfield Inn that had only been opened for 5 days! We were the first to stay in the room (that doesn't happen much). Elizabeth City was pretty dead. We ended up following the tag of a small sign on Route 17 and spent the entire evening at the Chowan County Fair in Edenton, NC. Total miles traveled was 197. Everybody was friendly (kinda like the folk in the town in the movie "Wild Hogs" ) It was a good time but the chance to "runaway" for the weekend was totally PRICELESS!

Old 10-01-2007, 11:53 AM   #13
Top Contributor

Sunday's NC Ride

Big Meadows Lodge is an incredible place.....If you decide to go sometime give us some warning and the wife and I may meet you there. We stayed in one of the upstairs...eeehhhemm...studios that are just above the office....its really tiny but nice if its just the wife and you (that's YOUR wife and you).

Skyline Drive is nice to ride but the deer are plentiful and the Park Rangers are really tough on catching anyone doing over 35mph..they hide everywhere!!!

Todd Frazier
VBA #0003
Greensboro, NC

Old 10-01-2007, 01:32 PM   #14

Sunday's NC Ride

A trip back to Big Meadow sounds great. I could not believe how tame the deer were in the field by the lodge. I will run it by my lady and see if we can try and arrange one before it gets too cold. Below are some pics of deer the last time we were there.

Being that you are from NC I assume that you have ridden the roads around Mt. Airy, NC (aka: "Mayberry")? I attended a classic Gold Wing rally there on a weekend in 2006. It was alot of fun and the curvey road riding was plentiful.

Old 10-01-2007, 02:37 PM   #15
Top Contributor

Sunday's NC Ride

Quote:
Being that you are from NC I assume that you have ridden the roads around Mt. Airy, NC (aka: "Mayberry")? I attended a classic Gold Wing rally there on a weekend in 2006. It was alot of fun and the curvey road riding was plentiful.
Yessir...came back through Mt. Airy yesterday on HWY 89...nice sweeper curves along that road. You cant go wrong with that whole area.....

This weekend was 'Mayberry Days' in Mt. Airy..lots of classic cars and bikes..........................and Thelma Lou!

Todd Frazier
VBA #0003
Greensboro, NC