Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 08-16-2007, 09:35 AM   #1

SEAT CHANGES

Hi folks,

I was considering having my seats cut down and having gel pads put in place and then recoving them. Have any of you ever had this done before? I'm trying to avoid shelling out the big bucks for a whole new seating system.

thanks

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-16-2007, 11:18 AM   #2

SEAT CHANGES

A friend of mine did it on his VTX, he loves it. He used an electric knife to shave it down.
I am going to try something along those lines this winter.

Old 08-16-2007, 11:25 AM   #3
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
SEAT CHANGES

I've thought of that but I'd hate to screw up my seat if I messed it up.

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 08-16-2007, 11:57 AM   #4

SEAT CHANGES

A friend of mine just bought the Kawi upgraded gel seat for his new Vulcan 900.... I tried to talk him into getting a Mustang seat... I totally love mine but they are pricey.... luckily it had it on there when I got the bike....

Old 08-16-2007, 12:46 PM   #5

SEAT CHANGES

winter time is when I do my "projects" to the bike too. I think I'll call around to uphosterly shops and see if any would do it. If any of you hear anything I'd apprciate a posting

thanks

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-16-2007, 12:53 PM   #6
Sr. Contributor

SEAT CHANGES

Yea, some of us were born with a silver spoon in our mouths!!!!!! LOL

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

Member # 0005

Old 08-16-2007, 09:55 PM   #7
Top Contributor

SEAT CHANGES

BD, must be nice to have that kind of $ huh?
VBA #0002
VBA VP-Global
B.A.C.A. Hoss
2005 "StrongBear" Black/Silver

Todd and BD

Old 08-20-2007, 09:43 AM   #8

SEAT CHANGES

If you are refering to me..........I wouldn't have the slightest idea.

Old 08-20-2007, 02:10 PM   #9

SEAT CHANGES

Quote:
Hi folks,

I was considering having my seats cut down and having gel pads put in place and then recoving them. Have any of you ever had this done before? I'm trying to avoid shelling out the big bucks for a whole new seating system.

thanks

Hey, Well maybe i can shed some light for you. When I got my stock nomad I had a real issue with my OEM seat. So I shelled out over $600.00 for my Mustang studded wide touring seat. Now that made me sit up and foward a bit and it was a little better than my stock seat. But it wasnt right becasue after riding like 50 miles i would get the same sopre ass as my stock. So now I have this expensive Mustang seat that is only slightly better than my stock. So I took my ride down to Richs custom seats ( in Seattle) and had them re work my seat to just fit me. It has all the gel and padding and custom fitting. That now cost me $320 plus i had them stud my stock passanger back rest to match for another $50.00 for total of 370.00 out there door and boy did that mke the difference. Now I can ride abot 200 miles before my butt starts to let me know it's time to stop for the day. So now I have over $1,000 in my seat . Is it 100% no, but it's about as good as it gets.
If I was to do it all over again I would have kept my stock seat and had Rich's re-work that stock seat for about $600 and that would have been that and I could have saved myself some big money but hey you live and learn so learn from my experince and get your seat done a custom seat place instead of spending all that money on a mustang or cobin seat that may OR may NOT fit. So good luck and I hope this helps you or someone else out about seats for the nomad.

Old 08-20-2007, 02:37 PM   #10
Sr. Contributor

SEAT CHANGES

That wouldn't help Nico. He's only good for about 50-70 miles per day.

Member # 0005

Old 08-20-2007, 02:44 PM   #11

SEAT CHANGES

Old 08-20-2007, 02:58 PM   #12
Sr. Contributor

SEAT CHANGES

I figured you'd be sitting in the back seat taking a nap! ASTRO!

Member # 0005

Old 08-20-2007, 06:00 PM   #13

SEAT CHANGES

It has all the gel and padding and custom fitting.

I have the same issues as you do. The mustang is better for me but not great. I talked to a guy saturday who will trim the sides a little & put in a gel pad for $150. I just hate the thought of spending more on a brand new seat. I have 10xxx miles with this seat & about 80 miles i need to get off of it. the most i have ridden is 200 for the day. I hope if i get the work done it will be worth it. Just a gamble i guess.

Old 08-20-2007, 07:58 PM   #14

SEAT CHANGES

Quote:
It has all the gel and padding and custom fitting.

I have the same issues as you do. The mustang is better for me but not great. I talked to a guy saturday who will trim the sides a little & put in a gel pad for $150. I just hate the thought of spending more on a brand new seat. I have 10xxx miles with this seat & about 80 miles i need to get off of it. the most i have ridden is 200 for the day. I hope if i get the work done it will be worth it. Just a gamble i guess.
Yeah it's sorta of a pregnant dog isnt it!!! but $150 is way better than a sore butt all the time. I hear ya i was pretty mad :(" title="" border="0"/> after spending all that cash on my mustang seat too. Hey a quick tip. Tell your guy to remove that mustang seam right in the middle of the seat. Once my guy did that it made a huge difference, why they would do put it right there is beyond me. If you need pics of what I'm talking about just send me an e-mail and I will shoot them off to ya for ya guy to use as reference if you want.. Man this board keeps switching my words around ??? like pregnant dog for the word Bitcchhhh WTF???? ROFLOL

Old 08-20-2007, 08:14 PM   #15
Sr. Contributor

SEAT CHANGES

Board switched silver spoooooone to silver thingy

Member # 0005