Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 09-22-2007, 11:58 AM   #1

Two questions for the experts

First question: I'm looking for a maintenance manual for my 2005 1600 Nomad, something similar to the following:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/boo...y&cds2Pid=9481

I didn't see anything on Barnes & Noble, nor Amazon's website. Any suggestions?

Second question: I've seen several posts regarding engine noise, so I wanted to get some clarification regarding engine noise on the Nomad. the engine just seems awfully "chatty". It's not quite a "knock" and not quite a "tick", but in the lower gears, especially 2nd and 3rd, when winding out this sound just seems to be really prominent. It doesn't quite sound like lugging, because I've lugged it before and know what that sounds like. After the engine is completely warmed up, say 10 or 15 miles down the road, it seems to be less prominent. So, again, is this normal, and I should not worry about it? Or, is something wrong?

Thanks all.

Best,
B.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-22-2007, 12:02 PM   #2
Top Contributor

From what I've noticed and read here, that engine noise is normal and will become less prominent over time. As many have said, put aftermarket pipes on it and you won't hear it as much.

As for the manual, I haven't seen much that says exactly what to do or how to do it. You might want to look on the Kaw website or as a stealer where they get theirs.
VBA #0002
VBA VP-Global
B.A.C.A. Hoss
2005 "StrongBear" Black/Silver

Todd and BD

Old 09-22-2007, 03:59 PM   #3

Trust me Burk!!!!! I am the king of dissatisfaction with the clickity clickity noise but I have surrendered to the truth..... FINALLY. I traded in my 05 for and 07 to get rid of the noise, he he he he , guess what, I got rid of the noisy 05 for a noisy 07. Get use to it. Take a pill and chill is the only way to accept it. I decided I would rather listen to the noise than ride a Harley.

Old 09-22-2007, 07:43 PM   #4
Advanced Member

Quote:
First question: I'm looking for a maintenance manual for my 2005 1600 Nomad, something similar to the following:
Keep a check on E-bay. I've seen them on there every once in a while
VBA #00077

Old 09-23-2007, 04:48 AM   #5
Top Contributor

Ebay has them on disk for around $20

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-23-2007, 08:42 AM   #6

B,

If you want to send me your address, I'll mail you the manual on CD. You can reach me at rlfaubion at gmail dot com.

As for the "chatty" noise, I just added the 1K OHM resister in-line between the ECU and fuel temperature sensor. It quieted the motor down, and feels like it gave me an additional horse or two.

Gadget and a few others explain how to do it. I think there's a write-up about it on this site too. Files or something like that. I believe it was this site that explains how to solder the resistor in-line coming off the ECU under your seat, rather than behind the air intake cover (this where mine is).

I may add another .250 OHM in this location with a switch to activate it when gett'n it on or as temperatures warrant.

I did this to my '06 Nomad. My '03 Classic has a Power Commander and Kuryakyn hyper-charger which does the same thing, and then the Vance & Hines allow me to only hear those pipes.

Old 09-23-2007, 09:22 AM   #7
Top Contributor

be carefull about ordering manual on CD off E-bay. I did and got a blank CD for $16. Talk about mad! it will take me a month to get a credit on my card. Thx GH for the site for the book. thats what I want is a hard copy to look at. Buyer beware.

Old 09-23-2007, 10:20 AM   #8

Ron welcome to KAWANOW

Old 09-23-2007, 10:35 AM   #9
Advanced Member

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KAWAS...spagenameZWDVW
Cheaper at the former mentioned site though.
Peace Makers LEMC

Old 09-23-2007, 12:31 PM   #10

Wow, thanks everyone for the replies!

Ron, I'll send you an email today. I appreciate your willingness to send a copy of the manual.

I took the bike for a short little two hour ride yesterday. I've only been able to go on short rides (less than 20 miles) for so long, I forgot how well the bike rides after it's completely warmed up. The "chatter" is indeed less noticeable after it's completely warmed up. As a matter of fact, I couldn't really hear it at all at any stops I had to make.

It just cements the feeling I've had all along: the Nomad just isn't a short ride kind of bike. I'm so overwhelmed with work and school that I don't have much time for anything else lately, but that ride yesterday reminded me what it is all about: wind and wheels.

Thanks, everyone.

Best,
B.

Old 10-03-2007, 07:56 PM   #11
Top Contributor

jayc: you link is a dude. the item is no longer offered because it is bogus.

Old 10-03-2007, 10:19 PM   #12

Send a message via MSN to scion0

Quote:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KAWAS...dZViewItemQQca tegoryZ34238QQihZ005QQitemZ150163917161QQrdZ1QQssp agenameZWDVW
Cheaper at the former mentioned site though.
Try " http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=290165964367 " http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=290165964367

for the 4 year Kawasaki GTPP for $350.00.

Mike
"Scion0"
VBA#: 0097
Former VBA North Central Asst Regional Leader
St Jude Rides Peoria to Memphis Rider
Retired MSgt, USAF (1979 -99)
"Don't sweat the small stuff, and it's all small stuff!"
Current ride: 2012 H-D Ultra FLHTCU (Black)
Past ride: 2007 Black Nomad