Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 01-28-2016, 05:44 PM   #46
Advanced Member

Nice job on the Speaker adapters! Did you do those on a 3d printer? I would be interested in a set if you want to print me up a couple more :-)

Dave
Rockford Fosgate Punch PEQ Equalizer
Garmin Nuvi 4555 GPS Unit
Kawasaki Aux Light Kit
Ipod Kit w/4th Gen Ipod
Laam Custom Seat w/modified Backrest
Avon Grips w/RACNRAY's mod
Aluminum Mirror Risers
Clearview Large Windshield
Chuckster Trailer Hitch
12v accessory plug
VROC Member #36236

"I have not failed, I just found 10,000 ways that won't work" - Thomas A. Edison

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-25-2016, 06:31 PM   #47

Does anyone know how to reach OhioVoyager? I'd like to try a set of his speaker adapters.
I can be reached at 507-283-1800.
Thanks
Rick
Luverne Kawasaki

Old 02-26-2016, 12:13 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvernekaw View Post
Does anyone know how to reach OhioVoyager? I'd like to try a set of his speaker adapters.
I can be reached at 507-283-1800.
Thanks
Rick
Luverne Kawasaki
This is his FB page, try sending him a message through here.
https://www.facebook.com/randy.brewster

Old 02-26-2016, 06:11 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick6375 View Post
This is his FB page, try sending him a message through here.
https://www.facebook.com/randy.brewster
Thanks but didn't work. Say's the link doesn't exist.

Might just try removing some material from the fairing. Sounds like others have done it this way, plus I'd rather have the stock speaker grills anyway.

Old 02-26-2016, 06:17 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvernekaw View Post
Thanks but didn't work. Say's the link doesn't exist.

Might just try removing some material from the fairing. Sounds like others have done it this way, plus I'd rather have the stock speaker grills anyway.
Tried it again and it worked? Technology....
Thank you.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-20-2017, 03:17 PM   #51

Just followed this thread and used the same amplifier and speakers on my 14' vaquero. Has anyone experienced problems with a parasitic draw through this amplifier? My battery is dead after the motorcycle sits one week. The draw seems to be intermittent and tough to track down.

At first I suspected I was back-feeding power through the acc circuit. I used an in-line diode on the amplifier signal wire. This diode didn't help. I currently have the main amplifier fuse pulled, if the bike starts a week from now then I will know the problem is for sure in the amplifier. Only other mod I did at the same time was Ivan's reflash.

Old 03-21-2017, 06:57 AM   #52

My amp has been running since I wrote the thread. Only changes I've made is the 6.5" speaker adapters and the 6.5" Polk component speakers. Zero battery issues. I would have your battery load tested for sure or get a new one if your test does not prove that it's the amp. I can't seem to get more than 3-4 years of reliable use out of my motorcycle batteries the way use them. I've killed my Vaquero battery several times listening to music in the garage and forgetting to plug the bike in, so that all adds up to shortened battery life. If you've had the same experience you might be due for a battery.

Are you using the remote turn on for the amp correctly? If you tapped into the wrong wire that's hot all the time, so is the amp. But considering you're using a diode to trouble shoot the issue I'm assuming you have enough electrical sense to make it all work. I can't think of anything else that would draw down your battery. I've got Ivan's flash as well without issue. If you have an iPod, unplug that as well to make sure something isn't haywire with that connection, I don't see how that could happen but just saying...

Let us know what you find out.

Old 03-21-2017, 07:00 AM   #53

30 Pin Apple Dock to Lighting Connector Question for you guys...

Anyone running the Apple adapter for a new iPod with a Lighting connection? Does the iPod charge how it's suppose to? I just included one in my VW Passat to run our new iPhones off an old (2009) VW connection in the glove box to play music off the phones on the stereo and it does not charge. Not sure that's a VW thing or a fault of the adapter. I'd rather not pull it out to see because of the way I have the wires all run in the VW so I'm asking here.

Thanks

Old 03-21-2017, 10:45 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fried Chicken Blowout View Post
Are you using the remote turn on for the amp correctly? If you tapped into the wrong wire that's hot all the time, so is the amp. But considering you're using a diode to trouble shoot the issue I'm assuming you have enough electrical sense to make it all work. I can't think of anything else that would draw down your battery. I've got Ivan's flash as well without issue. If you have an iPod, unplug that as well to make sure something isn't haywire with that connection, I don't see how that could happen but just saying...

In the right side of the fairing near the compartment, kawi tied up a couple wires on my vaquero presumably for the 12v cig. lighter plug used on voyagers. It is key on power, and this is where i tied in my remote signal for the amp. I also have a phone charger hard wired into this harness that has been there a couple years no problems. Charges phone with the key on only.

See any problems using this circuit for the remote signal? What wire is everyone else using?

I'm with you on the lifespan of bike batteries, but I find the timing odd. Bike sat in storage for a few months, started fine, I did the stero work, and now the battery is dead after a week.

Old 03-21-2017, 02:52 PM   #55

Quote:
30 Pin Apple Dock to Lighting Connector Question for you guys...

Anyone running the Apple adapter for a new iPod with a Lighting connection? Does the iPod charge how it's suppose to? I just included one in my VW Passat to run our new iPhones off an old (2009) VW connection in the glove box to play music off the phones on the stereo and it does not charge. Not sure that's a VW thing or a fault of the adapter. I'd rather not pull it out to see because of the way I have the wires all run in the VW so I'm asking here.

Thanks
When I got my Voyager I had an iPhone 4 and everything worked well. When I got my iPhone 6 I started to used a 30-pin to Lighting adapter. This did not work well as the space in the fairing pocket is quite limited and the adapters kept breaking. I finally fixed things by buying an iPod nano (which uses a 30-pin connector) at Easy Pawn for $25. This has worked beautifully for several years now. The iPod charges and plays through the stereo with no problems.

Physics & Astronomy Teacher
Boulder High School
Boulder, Colorado

Mysteriously, wonderfully, I bid farewell to what goes, I greet what comes; for what comes cannot be denied, and what goes cannot be detained. --Master Chuang--

Old 03-26-2017, 09:30 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswans90 View Post
In the right side of the fairing near the compartment, kawi tied up a couple wires on my vaquero presumably for the 12v cig. lighter plug used on voyagers. It is key on power, and this is where i tied in my remote signal for the amp. I also have a phone charger hard wired into this harness that has been there a couple years no problems. Charges phone with the key on only.

See any problems using this circuit for the remote signal? What wire is everyone else using?

I'm with you on the lifespan of bike batteries, but I find the timing odd. Bike sat in storage for a few months, started fine, I did the stero work, and now the battery is dead after a week.

I don't think there's a problem with using that as long as you checked that it's key triggered. The keyed power from the stereo itself is the blue wire that runs with the speaker wires in that same stereo harness. That's what I'm using and mention it in the posting, but don't really show it. I don't know that there's a difference between what you're using and what I'm using. The only bonus to mine is if you turn off the stereo, you also turn off the amp, even if the key is on.

Old 03-28-2017, 09:24 AM   #57

Quote:

Well I pulled the fuse for the amplifier and let the bike sit exactly 1 week again. The bike started up with no problem this morning. I usually don't like to blame a brand new component for failing, but it seems to me I have an internal draw from the amplifier that shouldn't be there.

My plan now is to pull the fairing apart again and double check every connection closely for a short. If I find nothing, I may just install a 100A relay between the battery and the amp with a key on signal. I don't really like this band-aid fix, whats everyone else think?

Old 03-28-2017, 09:53 AM   #58

As Fried Chicken Blowout said, are you sure that wire you have the turn on connected to is switched? Have you checked it with a meter? Not trying to be a wise guy, but I've been bitten by things like this more than once.

Old 03-28-2017, 10:40 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluemeanie View Post
As Fried Chicken Blowout said, are you sure that wire you have the turn on connected to is switched? Have you checked it with a meter? Not trying to be a wise guy, but I've been bitten by things like this more than once.
I'm 99% certain, but this will be the first thing I double check. I have a cell phone charger wired into the same circuit and the key must be on to charge a cell phone. I will likely switch this circuit to the blue wire just to remove any doubt.

Do you guys get a fairly heavy spark when plugging in the amplifier fuse? Even with the ignition off? I'm fairly sure I did, but figured it was normal.

Old 03-29-2017, 05:27 PM   #60

Alright, I did a little testing with my multimeter to see what this amp is drawing for power with the ignition off. I pulled out the 25A fuse and have the multimeter in series with the amplifier now. I have the remote signal wire completely disconnected for this test, so there are no worries of it being hooked up incorrectly.

It looks like this amplifier is drawing .037A, or 36.87mA all the time while the bike is off. 37 milliamps Doesn't seem like much, but is this enough to drain a battery over a week? Anyone else wanna pull their amplifier fuse and measure theirs?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170329_155027.jpg (97.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 20170329_155048.jpg (97.1 KB, 6 views)