Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Old 10-28-2014, 08:09 PM   #1
Top Contributor

Looking for a truck/SUV

One of the reasons I sold my Vision was because I needed to free up some credit to buy a replacement for my '04 Blazer. Now, I'm tentatively in the market for something. I'm not in a big hurry so I can wait on a "deal". There are a few things that need to be done to my Blazer so it will make it successfully through the winter but that's nothing a few hundred bucks won't take care of (and should be done in the next couple of weeks).

I honestly don't know exactly what I'm looking for. I like "big" trucks (probably more of a mental issue than a necessity) so my next vehicle would either need to be a full size or an easily liftable (3-4" max) mid size. Eventually, I will need to tow a trailer (RV) so I think most non-V8s will probably be out. It needs to be in VERY good condition with relatively low mileage (I'd prefer under 100k but would consider a little over depending on the vehicles reputation (i.e. some drivetrains are well known to hit 200k miles, etc).) Looks aren't important (hey, I rode a Victory Vision for 2 years) but condition is. No rust, dents, etc. Most of my previous vehicles have been pretty stripped down (other than cruise, tilt and power windows, locks, etc) so this time, I'd like a little bit of "luxury". Leather seating would be nice as well as all the little gizmos and gadgets that make driving a little more luxurious (and are more prone to breaking). I don't care about navigation (most are outdated) or a high end stereo (I can add my own for cheap) UNLESS they are integrated into steering wheel controls. Color is unimportant (my Vision was poop brown). Maintenance costs are important. For example, if a certain vehicle is known for eating up front suspension parts and it's expensive to replace them, it might not be worth it to me. It MUST be 4 wheel drive. With the weather Indiana tends to have, I'm NOT getting stuck with 2 wheel drive.

My budget is sub-$12k but ideally I'd like to stay around $8-10k (but would sure appreciate less). The newer, the better as it cuts my interest rate a little and the bank will only loan so much on older vehicles. (I found a cherry mid '80s Suburban with stupid low miles but the seller wanted $8k. No way the bank would loan me that money on a truck that old.)

I'm not opposed to buying out of state (I regularly look on eBay, CL and Autotrader) but with winter coming on and lack of available vacation, it couldn't be too far away until spring.

I've looked into Suburbans, Tahoe/Yukons, Jeep Grand Cherokees (2nd gen), Jeep Commanders and Ford Expeditions and Excursions. I really don't know what else is out there that 1) isn't rediculously expensive, 2) doesn't have high maintenance costs or 3) simply has high maintenance.

What else is out there that might fit my bill? There are good examples of everything I've mentioned out there at good prices but I want to consider all my options before sticking to just one make/model.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
2014 Nomad - SOLD
2012 Victory Vision - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-28-2014, 08:16 PM   #2
Mega-Contributor

I've got a '91 Bronco Eddie Bauer I'd sell you. 5.8 liter V8, 3" lift, Pioneer stereo system. I retired it when I bought a 2008 Expedition in May. I'm running out of room in my garages and driveway.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 10-28-2014, 10:03 PM   #3

Look into a Toyota Highlander, most are pretty well equipped and haul well.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 10-29-2014, 12:33 AM   #4
Top Contributor

Thanks, CJ but I doubt my bank will loan anything on a '91 no matter how nice it is.

Norm --- The Highlanders all seem to be V6 powered and small.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2014 Nomad - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 10-29-2014, 03:51 AM   #5

My nephew just drove down from northern Idaho in his Dodge Cummins Diesel 4X4 w/stick trans.. he runs pretty hard and was averaging over 21 mpg....he has 375,000 miles on the truck and say's it just runs better and better...I think its a 2005 !

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-29-2014, 08:25 AM   #6

Oops, Chris I meant the 4 runner. Different beast.

WebImagesVideosNewsMore

Fuel economy is estimated at 17 mpg city, 20 mpg highway for the V6 and 15/19 mpg for the V8. Towing capacity is 5,000 lb (2,300 kg) on V6 models and 7,300 pounds (3,300 kg) on RWD V8 models (7000 pounds w/4WD). The 4Runner first entered dealer showrooms in October 2002 for the 2003 model year.
Toyota 4Runner -

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 10-29-2014, 08:34 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyman View Post
Thanks, CJ but I doubt my bank will loan anything on a '91 no matter how nice it is.
Take out a personal loan. In many cases the interest rate on a personal loan is actually lower than on a used car loan. I bought my first bike through a personal loan.
VBA #02996

2008 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Nomad

Old 10-29-2014, 02:23 PM   #8

..Personal Loan YEP ...I went to my bank and got a loan (cash) for $8,000 and sent a cashiers check to one of my nephews, so he could buy a really nice used VStrom 1000
He had gone under in the great dupe and loot of 2008, and couldnt get a loan at that time...worked out great, and he payed it off in about half the time it was due !

Old 10-29-2014, 03:14 PM   #9
Mega-Contributor

Quote:

Norm --- The Highlanders all seem to be V6 powered and small.
I wasn't really serious, but I do have a '91 Bronco for sale.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 10-29-2014, 06:37 PM   #10
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
One of the reasons I sold my Vision was because I needed to free up some credit to buy a replacement for my '04 Blazer. Now, I'm tentatively in the market for something. I'm not in a big hurry so I can wait on a "deal". There are a few things that need to be done to my Blazer so it will make it successfully through the winter but that's nothing a few hundred bucks won't take care of (and should be done in the next couple of weeks).

I honestly don't know exactly what I'm looking for. I like "big" trucks (probably more of a mental issue than a necessity) so my next vehicle would either need to be a full size or an easily liftable (3-4" max) mid size. Eventually, I will need to tow a trailer (RV) so I think most non-V8s will probably be out. It needs to be in VERY good condition with relatively low mileage (I'd prefer under 100k but would consider a little over depending on the vehicles reputation (i.e. some drivetrains are well known to hit 200k miles, etc).) Looks aren't important (hey, I rode a Victory Vision for 2 years) but condition is. No rust, dents, etc. Most of my previous vehicles have been pretty stripped down (other than cruise, tilt and power windows, locks, etc) so this time, I'd like a little bit of "luxury". Leather seating would be nice as well as all the little gizmos and gadgets that make driving a little more luxurious (and are more prone to breaking). I don't care about navigation (most are outdated) or a high end stereo (I can add my own for cheap) UNLESS they are integrated into steering wheel controls. Color is unimportant (my Vision was poop brown). Maintenance costs are important. For example, if a certain vehicle is known for eating up front suspension parts and it's expensive to replace them, it might not be worth it to me. It MUST be 4 wheel drive. With the weather Indiana tends to have, I'm NOT getting stuck with 2 wheel drive.

My budget is sub-$12k but ideally I'd like to stay around $8-10k (but would sure appreciate less). The newer, the better as it cuts my interest rate a little and the bank will only loan so much on older vehicles. (I found a cherry mid '80s Suburban with stupid low miles but the seller wanted $8k. No way the bank would loan me that money on a truck that old.)

I'm not opposed to buying out of state (I regularly look on eBay, CL and Autotrader) but with winter coming on and lack of available vacation, it couldn't be too far away until spring.

I've looked into Suburbans, Tahoe/Yukons, Jeep Grand Cherokees (2nd gen), Jeep Commanders and Ford Expeditions and Excursions. I really don't know what else is out there that 1) isn't ridiculously expensive, 2) doesn't have high maintenance costs or 3) simply has high maintenance.

What else is out there that might fit my bill? There are good examples of everything I've mentioned out there at good prices but I want to consider all my options before sticking to just one make/model.
How much do you have to tow? The Jeep with the 4.0 six is a good vehicle. The Tahoe/suburbans up to 2006 were good, the Excursions aren't bad if they have the 7.3L powerstroke. Stay away from the 6.0L diesel. The Trailblazer might be ok too. It's a little difficult because of the price constraints. If you want something rust free in that price range, you'll have to go to a warmer state to find it. I'll also add that 4 wheel drive is going to be more expensive to buy, own and maintain properly. Just the way it is. All this with under 100K miles, that's a tough one. Even my 2009 Suburban is pushing 90K miles.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 10-29-2014, 10:19 PM   #11

Take a look at the Ram Ecodiesel 1500. I bought a Laramie Longhorn in mid August and love it. 3.0 V6 Italian diesel with 8 speed automatic transmission. 28 mpg highway and 23 city. 220 hp and 440 lb ft of torque. Never had a Chrysler product before but very happy so far.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 10-29-2014, 10:26 PM   #12
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajunrider View Post
Take a look at the Ram Ecodiesel 1500. I bought a Laramie Longhorn in mid August and love it. 3.0 V6 Italian diesel with 8 speed automatic transmission. 28 mpg highway and 23 city. 220 hp and 440 lb ft of torque. Never had a Chrysler product before but very happy so far.
That's way out of his roundhouse. He wants to spend 10K not 45-50K.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 10-30-2014, 07:34 AM   #13
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnc View Post
Oops, Chris I meant the 4 runner. Different beast.
They seem a little pricey but I'll definitely check them out. Thanks.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2014 Nomad - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 10-30-2014, 07:44 AM   #14
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponch View Post
How much do you have to tow? The Jeep with the 4.0 six is a good vehicle. The Tahoe/suburbans up to 2006 were good, the Excursions aren't bad if they have the 7.3L powerstroke. Stay away from the 6.0L diesel. The Trailblazer might be ok too. It's a little difficult because of the price constraints. If you want something rust free in that price range, you'll have to go to a warmer state to find it. I'll also add that 4 wheel drive is going to be more expensive to buy, own and maintain properly. Just the way it is. All this with under 100K miles, that's a tough one. Even my 2009 Suburban is pushing 90K miles.
I don't currently have anything to tow but I'll be looking for a 23+' travel trailer in about a year. I plan to live in it but will travel with it, too. The 4L Jeeps are nice but the V8s aren't much more expensive and (at least in the GCs) add a better tranny, Tcase, axles, etc. Did something change for the '07+ 'Burbs? One of the good things about the Excursions is that they're all 3/4 tons. If I found one of those, it would either be the V10 gas hog or the 7.3 diesel. I have yet to hear ANYthing good about the 6.0s. Someone said that the heads are one of the bad things about them and you pretty much have to dismantle the entire front end to replace the heads.

Not at all opposed to going out of state to buy one. I know 4wd is more expensive to buy/maintain and worse on gas but up here, it's almost a necessity. As far as the mileage, I'm not saying I refuse to buy something with 100k+ miles, just that sub-100k is my goal. If it's something that has a reputation for being maintenance free (or at least easy on maintenance), I'd go more than 100k. Much past 125k or so and I'd start getting worried. For example, the Jeep GC with the 4.7 has a reputation for lasting 250k miles and I have yet to hear of the tranny going bad unless someone has really beat on it. But...with too many miles, everything else is liable to be shot.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2014 Nomad - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 10-30-2014, 08:03 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Sam View Post
..Personal Loan YEP ...I went to my bank and got a loan (cash) for $8,000 and sent a cashiers check to one of my nephews, so he could buy a really nice used VStrom 1000
He had gone under in the great dupe and loot of 2008, and couldnt get a loan at that time...worked out great, and he payed it off in about half the time it was due !
Another great thing about a personal loan is that you get your title right away, which means you own the sucker outright and if for some reason you had to sell it, you could do so with no strings attached.
VBA #02996

2008 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Nomad