Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 10-28-2014, 03:14 PM   #1

Voyager dies when cold won't restart.

First off, I know this is self inflected, but is it normal? On a couple of cold days, I have started my 2012 Voyager 1700 to run it outside the garage while I put on my gear. Both times I put the kickstand down while in gear and it died as intended. Problem is it won't restart. It spins over like there is no compression. I have discovered that it must be fuel flooded. I have to hold the throttle wide open before turning the switch on and cranking to get it to "clean out". This is the same "de-choke" process used on fuel injected automobiles. Any thoughts?????

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-28-2014, 04:17 PM   #2

Not being a wise ass but my thought would be for you to put the bike in neutral before you put the sidestsnd down
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 10-28-2014, 05:33 PM   #3

TopCat, that was my first thought also. Simple solution. But it is not normal for a no start after a safety device acts appropriately. It would be great to come to this forum and get only fact. But we both know that rarely happens. I do see the humor and hope to find neutral.

Old 10-28-2014, 06:02 PM   #4

Have to disagree with Top Cat. Kill switches commonly go bad on many bikes and many use side stand in stead of a kill switch. This is not particular to VN1700 or Kawasakis, many riders including myself do it on all bikes. Side stand kill switch tends to be more reliable. Using it should not cause any problems. Don't know what is causing your voyager not to start but I doubt it is related in any way to using side stand as a kill switch. Does not matter if you kill it in neutral or in gear, using traditional kill switch or side stand.

Old 10-28-2014, 06:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by H8BUGZ View Post
TopCat, that was my first thought also. Simple solution. But it is not normal for a no start after a safety device acts appropriately. It would be great to come to this forum and get only fact. But we both know that rarely happens. I do see the humor and hope to find neutral.
Sorry if you took my post the wrong way. I was not trying to be funny, L was serious. If I were having the problem you are I would just put the bike in neutral while warming up.
If you use the kill switch while it is warming up does it do the same thing?
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-28-2014, 06:37 PM   #6

Will the bike restart later on, if so, how much later? Or does it require a boost or charge. The battery may be getting weak and needs to be replaced, and the throttle body or air filter may need cleaning.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 10-28-2014, 08:34 PM   #7

Cold Start Only

The first time this happened, I thought battery too. I had the dealer load test the battery and it was ok. This only happens on cold engine starts and after less than a couple minutes run time. It spins/cranks over easily. It will start when you use the de-choke procedure, but runs on one cylinder for a couple minutes before it cleans out and runs normally. I can't say that the exhaust smells rich, but the restart procedure suggest to me "flooded". It just bothers me that a common mistake that activates a safety device causes a no/difficult start.

Old 10-28-2014, 08:42 PM   #8
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by H8BUGZ View Post
The first time this happened, I thought battery too. I had the dealer load test the battery and it was ok. This only happens on cold engine starts and after less than a couple minutes run time. It spins/cranks over easily. It will start when you use the de-choke procedure, but runs on one cylinder for a couple minutes before it cleans out and runs normally. I can't say that the exhaust smells rich, but the restart procedure suggest to me "flooded". It just bothers me that a common mistake that activates a safety device causes a no/difficult start.
What is the de-choke procedure ?
I had none of the symptoms you describe. I had a 2010 Voyager.
Do you have an aftermarket fuel processor ?

Old 10-28-2014, 10:16 PM   #9
Advanced Member

What do your plugs look like? Almost sounds like they are on the edge of crapping out and the extra gas from the side stand kill is pushing them over the edge. Or maybe a weak spark. I shut my bike off often the way you do, been doing it all my life. Never had any restart issues with my Voyager.

Old 10-29-2014, 03:45 AM   #10

My 02 Nomad has the "flooding problem" on cold start up below about 45-50 degree's(f)

I havent cured it..but having to many cases of frost bite, I very seldom try to ride in those temps, and thus the issue is not very urgent in my case !...Good Luck !

Old 10-29-2014, 09:49 AM   #11

Perhaps you need new plug wires, mine got hard to start, and wouldn't start in the rain or damp weather. New wires and caps made a huge difference.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 10-29-2014, 02:32 PM   #12

After thinking on your problem over night...my lightening quick mind thought to mention...after a kick stand shut-down switch situation....try RE-CYCLEING The Ignition Switch (ie: shut it completely off and wait a few seconds..then try a re-start...a "tip-over kill switch" event, will also require a ignition switch re-set ! )

Old 10-29-2014, 03:25 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Sam View Post
After thinking on your problem over night...my lightening quick mind thought to mention...after a kick stand shut-down switch situation....try RE-CYCLEING The Ignition Switch (ie: shut it completely off and wait a few seconds..then try a re-start...a "tip-over kill switch" event, will also require a ignition switch re-set ! )
Beat me to it. I was thinking the same thing. Kind of like rebooting the ECU.

Oldest Saloon In Nevada
http://www.pioneersaloon.info/

"Sin City Stan"
Henderson, NV
VBA #01004
VROC #29365
2004 Nomad 1500L5 +100 "The Bike"
2009 Nomad 1700 (past)
2004 Vulcan Classic 800 (past)
2010 Cortez - 2011 Crescent City - 2012 Kanab - 2013 Estes Park

Old 10-30-2014, 12:58 AM   #14

I had a simular problem last year on my 12 Voyager about starting. Did it about 8-10 times over a 2 week period, but not the kickstand issue, and hot or cold. Cranked fine but no start. Some times it ran on 1 cylinder, or seemed like it, after it finally did start. Took back to dealer and the could not duplicate it, and hasnt done it since. They said possibly bad gas. Only had it about 3 months with about 5000 miles at the time.

Old 10-30-2014, 10:44 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Sam View Post
+1
Also, when it starts and is only running on one, cycle the ignition, then re-start. I've had that happen a few times, too.
Thunder Mfg Prototype Hi Performance Kit Rev 2
109 cid
Klockwerks Windshield
Corbin Young Gun
Throttle Mod
Freedom Performance 2-1
Roarin Toyz Intake
PCV with AutoTune
Ivanized ECU