Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Forum Support & Feedback

Old 11-18-2011, 11:30 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwilson View Post
Is there any way to keep the "jokes" from appearing on the "Today's Posts" page? That would be a HUGE improvement to me.
+10000000000!

I like a joke just as much as the next person, but when a majority of the posts on a motorcycle forum are jokes, it's kinda annoying. JMHO.
VBA #1051 (Former President)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-19-2011, 07:54 AM   #32
Sr. Contributor

When there's not much to read, I post jokes.
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Old 11-19-2011, 08:34 AM   #33

Every time you change something on the forum it just makes it harder to get use to it. What was wrong with the old layout.

Old 11-19-2011, 01:55 PM   #34
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarge1057 View Post
Every time you change something on the forum it just makes it harder to get use to it. What was wrong with the old layout.
I disagree. Actually it's easier now. Take a minute and just look at each forum, and what goes in it. Not much was changed anyway, but a couple forums were in categories that didn't fit them. Now everything is organized nicely and will make browsing much easier. And we reduced the number of forums on the index page by putting certain forums (that dont get a lot of activity) into sub-forums, which makes things less cluttered and makes for less scrolling.

I think any kind of change is scaring some of you, no matter how much sense it makes, or easier it makes things. Take a deep breath, look it over, and I'm sure you'll see it just makes sense.

Old 11-19-2011, 02:19 PM   #35

But can we still not have "jokes" show-up on the "Today's Posts"? This was a major complaint on the old forum and is still on this one.

If you could remove those from the Today's Posts that would receive almost universal approval from the membership

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-19-2011, 03:05 PM   #36
Top Contributor

Or...when you browse the forum, look for every post, jokes or not. I've never used the "Today's Posts" thing. Rather take the time to browse thoroughly but to each their own. (Or to eat their own. I can never remember which it is.)
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
2014 Nomad - SOLD
2012 Victory Vision - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 11-19-2011, 03:09 PM   #37
Top Contributor

Mike,
I PM'ed you this regarding our Regional boards, but will share the thoughts here with the group as well.....

(What seems like) long ago on the old KawaNOW forum, the Regional boards played a much larger part in the overall forum...and were essential to the Regions themselves as a way to communicate with riders within your Regional states.

Then fairly recently (a year or so ago), along came this "New Topic" link. Every post...no matter what board on the forum it was posted, went right to the top of the list. It was similar to how this board works....click on "today's posts" and voila....every post made today is listed....regardless of the board they were posted on. Posts intended for Regional members are commented on by members of every other region. That never happened before....as you had to actually go into another regions board in order to comment on their threads.

When that "New Topic" link was formed, an unforseen casualty was that it resulted in the quick demise of our Regional boards. We still have them, but they have completely lost their relevance in terms of how they were intended. Posts made in Regional boards today are less than 10% of what they were, and since we are a National organization with Regional affiliations....I think it is paramount that we find a way to make our Regional boards relevant again.

One way might be to keep any post made on a Regional board from showing up on the main board, period. Posts made in a Regional board should stay there...as it used to be. This will force members to actually go to their regional boards in order to keep up with whats going on there. This in turn will bring some unity back to the individual regions....something many of our members sorely miss...me included.

This will become even more important as the VBA grows and continues to add members. It is hard to keep track of the hundreds of members who post on the main board...much easier to relate and get to know those on your Regional board. There will always be a need for the main forum board, but if the Regional boards are going to remain irrelevant, then we should consider doing away with them...JMHO. Many of us here would love to see them once again become the great unifying place they once were.
VBA #0691
2017 HD Ultra Limited Low
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

"Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional"

Custer 2009|Kalispell 2010|Cortez 2010|Crescent City 2011|Kanab 2012|Canmore 2012|Estes Park 2013|Orofino 2014|Lake Tahoe 2015|Red Lodge 2016

Old 11-19-2011, 03:21 PM   #38
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwilson View Post
But can we still not have "jokes" show-up on the "Today's Posts"? This was a major complaint on the old forum and is still on this one.

If you could remove those from the Today's Posts that would receive almost universal approval from the membership

There's just some things you have to live with. Personally, I would just not read those threads and skim over them.

You can use the "Advanced Search" and pick which forums you want to see results from...but I'm guessing if skimming over certain threads is a hassle, that you won't want to go through the trouble of using the advanced search for new posts. But that is the way to do it.

Old 11-19-2011, 05:22 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admin View Post
There's just some things you have to live with. Personally, I would just not read those threads and skim over them.

You can use the "Advanced Search" and pick which forums you want to see results from...but I'm guessing if skimming over certain threads is a hassle, that you won't want to go through the trouble of using the advanced search for new posts. But that is the way to do it.
I understand what you are saying; but it still would be nice if the jokes weren't linked to the Today's Posts. It is nice to glance at the Today's Posts to get a general idea of what is being talked about and who is doing the talking. But typically the jokes and email-spam posts dominate the Today's Posts virtually making it useless.

I just thought it would be a good suggestion; but apparently you are not willing to make the change or cannot.

Just saying...

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 11-19-2011, 06:31 PM   #40
Administrator

That's what I'm saying, it's not possible/not an option.

If it's really a must, you can use the Advanced Search to essentially do the same thing.

Old 11-19-2011, 06:35 PM   #41

Understood. That's too bad though...

VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 11-19-2011, 06:54 PM   #42

At least on this new board, when you use new posts you can tell at a glance where a post has been made.

Kris, I was one who agreed with you when you commented on the regional boards some time back.
It would be good if they didn't show up on the new posts but, as Mike has said, that is not an option
I think the only thing you can do is to keep using them. That's what I try to do.
I know and have met many of the folks in the South Central Region and I always check there first.

Dave Jesse
2012 1700 Gray/Black Voyager
2006 1600 Nomad Green/Silver Sold
VBA #1108

2010- Eureka Springs - Antlers - 2011- Maggie Valley - Antlers
2012- Margaritaville Ride - Van Buren - Antlers - 2013- Estes Park - Antlers
2014- Mountain View - Antlers - 2015- Eureka Springs - Antlers
2016- Salem - Antlers - 2017- Eureka Springs - Lake George - Antlers - 2018- Custer - Antlers

Old 11-20-2011, 08:00 AM   #43

If it is not possible then why doesn't the region leader board so up on the new topics?

Old 11-20-2011, 08:56 AM   #44
Sr. Contributor

I thought they all showed up. (?)
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Old 11-20-2011, 01:20 PM   #45
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbikers View Post
If it is not possible then why doesn't the region leader board so up on the new topics?

It does.