Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 02-22-2018, 04:54 PM   #1

New rider lowering question VN1700 voyager

Hey everyone, I'm trying to lower my 17 vulcan voyager and was wondering if anyone can give me any tips or point me in the right direction! As a 5' 7" guy with a 29 inch inseam, this bike can be a pain with the misses on the back. I feel like I've been all over Google and called multiple kawi dealerships with no luck. My goal is a 2 inch drop front and rear. I've looked at scootworks (guess they're out of business?) And progressive (I've heard the 412s should work but I called and they wouldn't even try to find out) with no luck. I apologize if this has been brought up before, but it seems like every link and topic that I've found has been a dead end.

Thanks!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-22-2018, 05:44 PM   #2
Top Contributor

Hello and Welcome to the forum.

I think a 2 inch drop at the front might be a challenge but there is a lowering kit for the rear. Not sure how much it lowers the bike but some on here have done it. They might chime in. A last resort might be to have the seat modified to lower you if the other mods don't get you 2 inches lower. Thick soled shoes are also an option.

Old 02-22-2018, 05:56 PM   #3

I was contemplating doing the same thing as your are . Here is an older thread that has a bunch of info on lowering that you might find useful . Someone is sure to chime in soon enough to help you with your question .

http://www.vulcanbagger.com/forums/s...lowering+links

Old 02-22-2018, 06:03 PM   #4

http://www.vulcanbagger.com/forums/s...archid=1210995

Welcome to the forum!

The above link will show you some options. I would not lower the bike 2" because you would be scraping the floorboards a lot and possibly sliding out. My Voyager is stock and I sometimes scrape mine with just myself on the bike. They are usually slower speed turns but sometimes it happens at faster speed.

The Luverne option would be the way to go with thicker soles on your boots, seat modification (like redjay said) and maybe raising the front fork tubes.

I'm 5' 7" with a 30" inseam and I know what you mean.

2005 Vulcan Nomad Sold
2006 Honda 1800 VTX (Freebie) Sold
2008 Harley Ultra Classic Sold
2001 Harley Ultra Classic Sold

Hangtown, Kalifornia

VBA #2625

Old 02-22-2018, 09:15 PM   #5

I had the luverne lowering links installed on my new Vaquero. My inseam is also 29 inches and my feet are flat on ground after the links were put on.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-22-2018, 10:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekawasaki View Post
I had the luverne lowering links installed on my new Vaquero. My inseam is also 29 inches and my feet are flat on ground after the links were put on.

I wish I had the extra inch of inseam. 28” inseam with Luverne lowering links and I’m still on the balls of my feet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 02-23-2018, 12:50 AM   #7

29" inseam here also at 5'9". I went with the Luverne links, shaved seat and work boots with thicker soles. Shaved seat was basically a waste of money for what I gained and I ended up having to get a wool pad to stop the pain in my a$$.......Mike

Old 02-24-2018, 08:58 AM   #8

Greetings DoRagOn92,

The Luvern lowering links work well on the Missus Vaq. She is 5'5 and probably close to the inseam you mentioned. With the Corbin, she is on the ball of her foot, one side or the other. Meaning, if she let's it lean a little, one foot is solid and the other is on the ball. We *toyed* with also adding the Progressive's, becuase they are another inch shorter. *if* we did that (not inclined to), we would also put in Progressive front springs and try to drop the front a bit. To keep rake and trail in a tollerable range. My fear is she would have a near zero cornering clearance.
Just thoughts, not sure if they helped or not...

Ride safe,
Smokier
2012 Victory Crossroads in Sunset Red "Ruby"

Previous Vulcans: '15 Vaquero, '12 Vaquero, '10 1700 Nomad, '04 1500 Classic, '01 1500 Classic, '88 Vulcan 750
VROC # 10967 | VBA # 3115

Old 02-24-2018, 04:23 PM   #9

I went with full air shocks and compressor. I am 5' 6.5". I ride two up and trailer. The adjustable of the shocks made me love my bike again. I have a remote and dash switch to adjust on the go. Has been installed since 2014 when I bought the bike. Looking to invest in a air tank this year. Even my dealer's mechanic keeps commenting about the ride difference over stock shocks.
VBA #02668
2014 Voyager ABS
Thunder Mfg Tear-drop breather
V&H Slip on's
Ivanated ECU
Air shocks with compressor and remote
Rear speaker kit
Clarion Amp
6.5" speaker adapters
Polk Audio 6.5" front speaker.
RACNRAY ISO grips with throttle mod.
Bushtek Turbo 2+ trailer
LED Headlight
LED Driving lights
Pulsating break light

Old 02-28-2018, 05:41 PM   #10

If you lower this bike two inches good luck leaning over in turns. It's already clearance challenged.
Ivan's ECU reflash
Chuckster's Risers
Chuckster's Badge Plate
Chuckster's Trailer Hitch
Custom Shaped and Cut Lowers

Old 03-02-2018, 06:46 PM   #11

Awesome, thanks everyone for the info and ideas and everything. I'm gonna go with the lowering links and see how that works before I drop 600 bucks on a seat, but I've definitely been looking at the Corbin. Thanks again!!

Old 03-06-2018, 01:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by doragon92 View Post
Awesome, thanks everyone for the info and ideas and everything. I'm gonna go with the lowering links and see how that works before I drop 600 bucks on a seat, but I've definitely been looking at the Corbin. Thanks again!!
I just ran across this thread and wanted to make sure you got taken care of getting your lowering links? If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
As to lowering the bike 2", I don't believe that's a very good idea. As someone else mentioned, I think it would make the bike nearly unrideable. Add our lowering links, drop the forks in the clamps 1/2" and see if you need to pursue other options would be my recommendation.
Thanks
Rick