Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > New Member Introductions

Old 04-06-2012, 08:05 AM   #1

How much experience do you need for a voyager?

Hey guys, I do not have a bagger yet, infact just started riding. I am an older guy that has always found the allure of the open road enticing. I am cutting my teeth on an older Ninja that my son left here while he does his stint in the Navy.

Got to say it is what I expected it to be. I love riding! I was looking at the new Voyager over the weekend and really like this bike. So much so that I almost pulled the trigger on one. I know thug I am not ready for something this large yet. I wanted your options about how long you guys waited until moving up to something this big. Can you fell the weight of the bike? Is it hard to control at slower speeds or when coming to a stop?

Thanks again for such a good forum. Hope to be apart of your community one day.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-06-2012, 08:27 AM   #2
Sr. Contributor

Welcome to the forum.
I haven't tried the voyager out yet, maybe this spring. I started when I was 16 and have progressively purchased bigger rides as time went by. If you haven't taken the Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) course, I strongly urge you to do so. Lot's of guys have started on large bikes, and have been successful. Educating yourself would be a huge plus to your success and enjoyment. Give it some thought.
Ride Happy, Stay Healthy.
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Old 04-06-2012, 08:37 AM   #3

Welcome from Minnesota. Learn some basics and get that Voyager. here is a website that may help you. http://www.ridelikeapro.com/

Ray
Minnesota
2010-1700-Nomad
VBA#01525

Old 04-06-2012, 08:38 AM   #4
Mega-Contributor

Hi and welcome!

It really depends on the individual. In my case, I hadn't ridden in 25 years then in March 2007, I bought a 2005 Suzuki C50T (805 cc's) I rode it for 6 months before I got tired of its limitations and I traded in in on a new Nomad in September 2007. I rode that for 52000 miles until I crashed and totaled it a year ago. After I settled with the insurance company I bought my current bike, a 2011 HD Ultra Limited.

A Voyager is going to ride different than the Ninja, it's going to be much heavier as well. I wouldn't recommend any new rider jump right on a big 800 pound-plus bike and hit the road.

At a minimum, I would recommend you first complete a MSF Basic Rider course and obtain your motorcycle endorsement. Even as an experienced rider, I learned a lot in that class and it rewards me every time I ride.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 04-06-2012, 08:42 AM   #5

Welcome from Ontario.
I also grew up on smaller bikes, the Voyager is a big bike, but if your not impatient you should get the hang of it before long.
Heavy bikes are great on the open road, but you can notice the weight at slow speeds. Just be careful, what about a 800-900 Vulcan, that would be a great stepping stone.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-06-2012, 08:43 AM   #6

Been ridding for about 40 years and the Voyager still took some getting used to. Mostly because it's so different from what I've ridden (sport bikes, standards, and super motos).

It is a heavy bike but like a big boned gal it carries the weight well. It also handles well considering the size and its intended use.

Like Loafer said, some folks start on very big bikes and don't have any issues. I prefer the working your way up approach but if you are super confident and comfortable with your ridding and you resolve to take things slow I' sure it's possible.

A MSF course is a very good idea and would be one of the first things I would make time for.
Vance & Hines Pro Pipe with Supertrapp meg can, Thunder Air kit, Corbin heated seat, Fuel cap mod (close w/o key), I-Pod, Thermometer, mounted dual heat-troller, rear speakers, rear rack, bag liners, Dobeck's Gen 3, grips, backrest, removable coffee holder, 1500 kick-stand, marbled, air horn, adjustable windshield (8"-12.5"), Race Tech Gold Valve Cartridge Fork Emulator & springs, Küryakyn floorboard mount Hwy pegs, etc...

Other rides:
2003 ZRX1200r (X2)
2006 ZX14

Old 04-06-2012, 08:52 AM   #7

I am taking the MSF later this month.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:00 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjr123 View Post

Outstanding!
Vance & Hines Pro Pipe with Supertrapp meg can, Thunder Air kit, Corbin heated seat, Fuel cap mod (close w/o key), I-Pod, Thermometer, mounted dual heat-troller, rear speakers, rear rack, bag liners, Dobeck's Gen 3, grips, backrest, removable coffee holder, 1500 kick-stand, marbled, air horn, adjustable windshield (8"-12.5"), Race Tech Gold Valve Cartridge Fork Emulator & springs, Küryakyn floorboard mount Hwy pegs, etc...

Other rides:
2003 ZRX1200r (X2)
2006 ZX14

Old 04-06-2012, 09:14 AM   #9
Top Contributor

When I first bought and rowed my drift boat down a raging western river....there was no school or training academy. I just got in, grabbed the oars, shoved off and hoped for the best....haha..... My point is that it was a sink or swim proposition....and I made it okay.

I think as long as you are aware of what you are riding and be cautious, you should have a pretty short learning curve no matter what you ride. Sure, it may weigh a little more, but once you are rolling, these bigger bikes are very well balanced and actually easier to ride than smaller bikes. If the Voyager is the bike you are drooling over....why waste time buying another bike. Jump on, shove off, be careful....and you will figure it out pretty quick. It's not that big a deal, but it will however, feel greatly different from your sport bike. My gut though tells me it will feel like an old glove in no time at all. JMHO......
VBA #0691
2017 HD Ultra Limited Low
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

"Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional"

Custer 2009|Kalispell 2010|Cortez 2010|Crescent City 2011|Kanab 2012|Canmore 2012|Estes Park 2013|Orofino 2014|Lake Tahoe 2015|Red Lodge 2016

Old 04-06-2012, 09:18 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjr123 View Post
Once you buy your Voyager, I suggest you also invest in the tapes from Ride Like A Pro... (buy them online).

You can preview some of their tapes (shorts) on YouTube. If you listen, learn, practice, and apply what they tell you... it will shorten your learning-curve a lot, and also help prevent some early-bad-habits from forming and becoming part of your riding style.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 04-06-2012, 09:29 AM   #11

In 98 I went and got my motorcycle license. Previous to that I had about 5 hours of motorcycle riding time. I went to my local Honda dealer looking to buy a Goldwing and twice I walked away thinking it's too large for a newby like me. On the third trip I bought it. My only prayer was not to drop it while pulling away from the dealer.

It's all about balance, danialson. Once I lifted it off the side stand, I didn't notice the weight.

If you want a Voyager, I'd say go for it. Do what I did and take it to a large parking lot and practice.

Another thing, learn the proper way to right the bike just in case you drop it. For pratice when I first got my new Goldwing, I laid it over onto it's left side. I then put my butt against the seat, left hand on the passenger grab rail and right hane on the handlebar. Pushing with my legs and NOT lifting with my arms, the bike came right up.

Old 04-06-2012, 10:37 AM   #12
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwilson View Post
Once you buy your Voyager, I suggest you also invest in the tapes from Ride Like A Pro... (buy them online).

You can preview some of their tapes (shorts) on YouTube. If you listen, learn, practice, and apply what they tell you... it will shorten your learning-curve a lot, and also help prevent some early-bad-habits from forming and becoming part of your riding style.
Tapes...? Really? 8-track, cassette, Beta or VHS? After Greg watches his tapes, he listens to music on his phonograph.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 04-06-2012, 10:47 AM   #13
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
His town of Bedrock has no electricity Scott!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 04-06-2012, 11:23 AM   #14

Getting back on track
I hadn't rode for a number of years and in 07 bought a 650 Yamaha Silverado. Rode that for a year and then went to the Nomad.
Nomad was intimidating at first but not for long.
Rode a Voyager at the National and it handled much like the Nomad.
I don't think I would want to start out on a Voyager or a Nomad but you have to make that decision for yourself.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 04-06-2012, 02:42 PM   #15

I did a lot of riding in my younger years, and like many on here didn't ride for around 25 years before getting back into it in 2006 with a 650 v-star.
I thought it would be big enough for me, but it didn't take too long before I wanted bigger. I suppose I could have handled the Nomad from the start but it would have been a bit intimidating for sure. The smaller bike did give me the chance to re-learn and the confidence to move up and handle a bigger bike.
One thing to keep I mind, the voyager is not that much different from a Nomad, it just looks bigger because of all the fairing and tour box.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136