Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Rallies & Rides > 2018 CanadaEast/Northeast U.S. Rally

Old 02-22-2018, 02:52 PM   #1

Atlantic Canada Tourism Sites

Just some helpful sites should you come to the Cape Breton Rally early, or you want to stay a while. Plus for those who have wanted or now would like to attend the "Wharf Rat Rally" Digby, Nova Scotia on Labour Day weekend. It's the largest bike rally some say in Canada.
Here are some sites:
TOURISM N.S.
www.novascotia.ca>visitors
www.novascotia.com
www.explorenovascotia.com
TOURISM N.B. www.tourismnewbrunswick.ca
TOURISM P.E.I. www.tourismpei.com
TOURISM NFL/LAB. www.newfoundlandlabrador.com

Nova Scotia,Maine,New Brunswick, and Prince Edward Island Ferry Services
www.ferries.ca

Marine Atlantic Ferry-to Newfoundland www.marineatlantic.ca

Hope some of this information is helpful, and see you in July

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-22-2018, 04:35 PM   #2

Hey Pete thanks for posting this. Being a “Local” anything you can dig up for us tourists is helpful, especially any one day rides from the hotel and back to attractions. I was thinking maybe https://www.google.ca/search?q=fort+...Lc6zggeR7p2oBg as one. Not sure on the return distance, but since we plan no formal group rides other than small groups deciding what to do or go see, a list of this sort of thing will be invaluable.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 02-22-2018, 09:09 PM   #3

Could make a couple group rides. First....Cabot trail ( anti-clock wise for outside view ) Second.... Coal Miners Musium and Fortress Louisburge. Just a thought. Put it out there....what do the Attendee's like for a day ride.

Old 02-22-2018, 09:29 PM   #4

Well Pete off at 9 back by 4 is good, mileage will vary with the amount of stops or length of time at an attraction, but just riding maybe 200km. The Cabot Trail is a given but we thought to do it in a couple of small groups. Yes when we did it, we did it counter clockwise too with a stop at Neal’s harbour for lunch. Do you remember Caper from a few years back on the forum?

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Last edited by cnc; 02-22-2018 at 11:39 PM.

Old 02-23-2018, 12:59 PM   #5

Thanks for counter clockwise, one of those words that just wasn't coming to me. Can say I don't remember Caper, sorry.
One thing is certain, everyone is coming to ride the Trail. Could do the trail in both directions. Split the group in 2 on Tuesday. First group goes clockwise the other counter clockwise. Then on Thursday, switch. This way everyone gets to ride the trail in both directions. Wednesday is usually for what ever we want to do, so things like Louisburge, Coal Miners Musium etc: can be done on that day. Or anything else people wish to do. What I'm looking forward to is the ride, and meeting up with some old friends. So just about anything works for me, as long as that happens.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-23-2018, 01:26 PM   #6

Was in Cape Breton back in 2007. Cabot Trail is for sure not to be missed. We also visited Fortress Louisburg and the Coal Miner's museum, and they are both well-worth the visit. There was also some type of settlement re-enactment a little north of Baddeck that was pretty good. Also did a whale watch out of Cheticamp, visited Meat Cove, and partook of a little single-malt for breakfast at Glenora Distillery (the only single-malt distillery in North America). And finally, no trip to Cape Breton would be complete without visiting Joe's Scarecrow a little south of Cheticamp (if it is still there). Would also like to see a ceilidh (sp) if we can fit it in. And an evening walk along the Sydney waterfront is pretty nice too, along with a picture in front of the giant fiddle.

Pete - thoughts on any of the above?

Tom Maziarz (tomm)
VBA #00766
2008 Kawasaki Nomad (Black)
1978 Suzuki GS750EC (My son is riding it now.)

2017: National Rally - Lake George, NY
2016: NE US / E Canada Rally - Mont Tremblant, QC
2015: National Rally - Eureka Springs, AR
2014: NE US / E Canada Rally - Lincoln, NH
2012: NE US / E Canada Rally - Wellsboro, PA

Old 02-23-2018, 03:32 PM   #7

Caper mentioned Lona village, I think this is it.
https://highlandvillage.novascotia.c...s/location-map
fort Louisberg is about 1hr-1.5 hr Ride from the motel I think. Pete,
Caper ( Donnie ) lives in Sydney. He was very active a number of years back but then gave up bikes. He is planning on attending and renting a bike. He has some thoughts on some rides too. I can’t think of anything thing better than two locals being the group’s tour guides. If you have some favourite rides and he does like wise we can split the group up into smaller rides and folks can pick and choose. And / or a list of rides with way points so folks can self guide if they prefer. What do you think?

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 02-24-2018, 08:02 AM   #8

Have not been on the trail since May of 1981. The last time I was on Cape Breton was 2016, picked up our Motorhome. Strictly highway driving, up and back in one day. Not the person to leed a ride, heck knows where we would end up. Hope we get a couple members from the area, they would be perfect to leed a group. There are so many places to stop and see, could turn into a long day.

Old 02-24-2018, 09:13 AM   #9

Well we originally planned this get together with no set rides and more of a guide your self ride idea, so we will stick to that. But any ideas for rides from the motel would be welcome.
Thanks Pete.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136