Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Rallies & Rides > Archived > NorthCentral Regional Rally - 2010

Old 02-20-2010, 12:58 PM   #1

TRIP 5: LaCrosse Rt 33

This route is a bit north of our home-base location of Prairie du Chien; however it is often referred to as the "Mini Deal's Gap of Wisconsin".

I have listed it as only a one-way trip; as a return route can be discussed at the rally before departure for those that wish to take this route.

While it isn't as "twisty" as Deal's Gap, it does provide for a beautiful ride through the West-Central part of Wisconsin on great pavement that twists its way through a variety of terrains and countryside of Wisconsin -- including a brief ride through Wild Cat State Park -- a favorite ride of many other rallies that are based in this area.

Skill Level: Moderate
As mentioned; this ride is on good two-lane pavement with wide sweeping turns; twisty-curves; and a variety of elevation changes.

Time & Distance: One way is 78.4 mi – about 2 hours 6 mins without stops.

While this appears to be an average of only around 38 MPH we will be riding at faster speeds for the most part. The reason for the overall trip-time is due to the time it takes to twist through the variety of road elevations.

Food Stop: There are few places to stop enroute to Reedsville, WI. A lunch-stop will be determined based on which route the group decides it wishes to take back to homebase.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-21-2010, 03:14 PM   #2

:)

Old 02-22-2010, 06:13 PM   #3

I am so ready for spring & really getting excited about attending rally. Preparing to put trailer hitch on Nomad as we have decided to pull a cargo trailer. With all the items the wife says she does not need it seems like we never have enough room. All the day rides look like they are going to be very nice. GL you have done a lot of work. Looking forward to meeting KawaNOW members & making friends.

Old 02-22-2010, 07:25 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1600bluekaw
I am so ready for spring & really getting excited about attending rally. Preparing to put trailer hitch on Nomad as we have decided to pull a cargo trailer. With all the items the wife says she does not need it seems like we never have enough room. All the day rides look like they are going to be very nice. GL you have done a lot of work. Looking forward to meeting KawaNOW members & making friends.
Ha!! I know what you're saying about having enough room to carry "stuff"!!

Have you bought a trailer yet? If not... there was a guy on here that had a stainless steel trailer for an incredible price. I can't remember who he was or where he was; but it was priced really low. Anyway... just wondering.

Dave, Ponch, and the rest of the guys all have put time into the rally -- just so everyone knows.

My big worry is in hoping everyone has fun and enjoys themselves and the rides.

Rayski and Dave have ridden with me before around that area, and I believe they liked it.

Through the years I have put together several group rides and always worry whether people will enjoy themselves and don't get hurt. I hope everyone that attends this rally rides away having had a good time.

So... hopefully we'll have a decent "crowd" show up and everyone will have fun!!!! ;)

Oh yeah... I am looking forward to the rally as well. I love riding around that area and look forward to sitting around shooting-the-breeze; rekindling old friendships; and starting some new ones!! :)

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 02-23-2010, 08:35 AM   #5

Since we wont be doing more than 1 long road trip this year I will not be buying a trailer. I belong to a breakfast riding group here at home, one of the riders is letting me borrow his trailer. If things go right we will be doing more than 1 trip nxt year. We will then look into making a trailer purchase at that time. We are planning already to do the National rally in Deals Gap & a few others through out the year.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-23-2010, 10:26 PM   #6

That will work. It's always best to have a friend that owns what you need to borrow!!! Ha!

VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 03-11-2010, 01:52 AM   #7

Is this going to be an off shoot ride from the July rally? I have done this ride a couple of times and it is a great road for a nomad. You could take a left or a right off of hwy 33 and the roads just keep getting better! I hope to make it to the rally myself.

Old 03-11-2010, 10:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewdogg
Is this going to be an off shoot ride from the July rally? I have done this ride a couple of times and it is a great road for a nomad. You could take a left or a right off of hwy 33 and the roads just keep getting better! I hope to make it to the rally myself.
Stewdog... I guess I didn't realize you are in Madison.

You undoubtedly know the road choices I have been talking/referencing for these rides. As you said... you can go right or left and only find better roads.

This route was merely added as a suggestion depending on what the group may want to do for the rides.

I was thinking that once everyone is there, we could discuss several of the choices and then decide which we would like to take for the second or third day.

I was thinking that the first day we should do the Mississippi Loop ride up to LaCrosse and then across the river to the Minnesota/Iowa side and on back down south... with stops in several places, including Pikes Peak State Park.

Anyway... glad to hear you'll be making it in July. We'll look forward to seeing you there.

VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 03-12-2010, 12:08 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwilson
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewdogg
Stewdog... I guess I didn't realize you are in Madison.

You undoubtedly know the road choices I have been talking/referencing for these rides. As you said... you can go right or left and only find better roads.

This route was merely added as a suggestion depending on what the group may want to do for the rides.

I was thinking that once everyone is there, we could discuss several of the choices and then decide which we would like to take for the second or third day.

I was thinking that the first day we should do the Mississippi Loop ride up to LaCrosse and then across the river to the Minnesota/Iowa side and on back down south... with stops in several places, including Pikes Peak State Park.

Anyway... glad to hear you'll be making it in July. We'll look forward to seeing you there.

Looks like you are doing a great job with the rides! Are you gonna leave enough time to go back and fourth over Wildcat Mountain a couple of times? That road is great as long as you don't get stuck behind too slow of a car... that's why you need enough time to run it again just incase you get stuck behind that driver ;)
We usually go the the Iola Old Car Show which happens to fall on the same dates as the rally. I think we are going to skip it this year for the rally. Even though the theme is "sensational sixties" and those are some of my favorite cars. There's always next year...
Maybe we will do Thursday and Friday at the car show and Sat and Sun at the rally?

Old 03-12-2010, 07:51 AM   #10

Wildcat is a part of Trip 5, which is a route that didn't include a return route on purpose. I figured that the group could decide how they would want to return. I guess going back through Wildcat wouldn't be out of the question.

I know what you mean about a slow car... We run that risk on any many of these roads. Since we'll be riding in a group... I can't see us going real fast along these roads... at least not at "screaming-speeds" for safety reasons. So, I expect the pace to remain at a comfortable speed.

See you there.

VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417