Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 08-04-2014, 10:57 AM   #1

After a Long Wait...New Exhaust

I still remember the day way back in, ohh, the beginning of last month. I was bouncing around a couple of site, looking for new parts for my Vaquero, and there it was...Freedom Performance 2-into-1! I quickly called FP directly and inquired about this pipe, as I thought it must be a misprint. Scott was very helpful and informative, and confirmed the existence of the much awaited exhaust. A couple day later, after much deliberation and sleep loss about which tip I wanted (that's aright, there is a choice of tips), I ordered my new noise-makers.

Then...TRAGEDY...an email from West End...BACK-ORDERED!!

A couple weeks later (Thursday 7/24) the sun began to shine again. I got the email that the back-order was over! The new pipes were starting to ship to distributors. I got my tracking info the Monday after that, and last Friday, check the delivery status every 10 minutes until they were delivered...then I left work early to fly home to get my hands on them.

I get home to a huge box on my front porch with "Freedom Performance" proudly emblazoned on the front. I hurriedly brought the box of wonder iin, and began tearing it open. Inside I saw the most beautiful sight I have seen in a long time (sorry honey)...the pipes, at long last!

Well packed, nice fit and finish, decent directions for someone with some experience (take the advice about using the painters tape...in fact, I would tape the heat shields completely to avoid scratches). A couple hours later, the pipes, Roarin Toyz air cleaner, and my own custom made plate for the left side of the motor were installed. Top it off with the Pro Pipe map in my PCV (FP's suggestion until I can get it tuned in a couple weeks), and I was ready.

Thumb the started, and...WOAH!! WHAT A SOUND! Deep, throaty, big, beautiful! Test ride time. Massive gains in the mid range, big top end, I can tell the map isn't quite right, but it's close.

This exhaust is exactly what I was hoping it would be, and at $639 for the "Outlaw" tip, not a bad price. It has a stepped header and the same muffler core as the duals, making it a 3 step system.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0757 resized.jpg (90.6 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0759 resized.jpg (94.5 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0760 resized.jpg (91.5 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0761 resized.jpg (96.0 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0762 resized.jpg (96.7 KB, 99 views)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-04-2014, 11:02 AM   #2

It looks real nice. I wish I could hear it in person.

2012 Vaquero
1700 Nomad
(Deceased)
Cobra Tri-Ovals
Racnrays Invention (Throttle Mod)
Ivan's flash
Thunder Tornado Big Air Kit

Old 08-04-2014, 11:21 AM   #3

I'll see what I can do about getting some vids with sound up somewhere

Old 08-04-2014, 12:44 PM   #4

Very cool looking exhaust and intake. I have the cobra tri-ovals and am thinking about going to a full aftermarket exhaust. Thanks for giving me another option.

Old 08-04-2014, 02:33 PM   #5
Top Contributor

Wow!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-04-2014, 03:24 PM   #6

That's funny, I had the same exhaust and intake arrive at my doorstep on Friday also. Now just waiting on my PCV with base map so I can install the intake. Took it for a test ride and had massive lean afterburn (backfiring and popping) on low rpm decel. hoping it is just the no tune yet causing this not leaks. Does yours being tuned have this issue as well?

Old 08-04-2014, 03:35 PM   #7

Gypsy Dragon, where do you live in Round Rock? I live at Lawnmont Dr. I see a Gypsy go by on a green Vaquero most every day. If it is you stop by some time when I am out front and have a beer/coke or water.

TX1700

TX1700 on VBA
plunge on Texas VROC
VROC #36447
VBA #02703
Ivan's reflash
2013 Vulcan Voyager ABS
2002 Road Star (sold)

Old 08-04-2014, 06:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX1700 View Post
Gypsy Dragon, where do you live in Round Rock? I live at Lawnmont Dr. I see a Gypsy go by on a green Vaquero most every day. If it is you stop by some time when I am out front and have a beer/coke or water.

TX1700
That's me! I recognize your bike in the pic. I'm right down the road from you. Small world!

Old 08-04-2014, 06:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky2shoes View Post
That's funny, I had the same exhaust and intake arrive at my doorstep on Friday also. Now just waiting on my PCV with base map so I can install the intake. Took it for a test ride and had massive lean afterburn (backfiring and popping) on low rpm decel. hoping it is just the no tune yet causing this not leaks. Does yours being tuned have this issue as well?
Right now, the only time I get any popping is when I am cruising at around 1800 rpm and let off the throttle (in other words, in heavy traffic). If I close the throttle all the way, it isn't as bad. I have done quite a bit of work sealing up the intake leaks tho, and i highly recommend checking to make sure you don't have any instead of hoping you don't. The Roarin Toyz intake also comes with a plug for the fresh air recirc hose, which made a HUGE difference. I have an appointment in a couple of weeks that will end up with a really accurate dyno tune...but can't say much more than that...it's a secret...

I had originally wanted the duals, but after learning a bit about them, and the tuning issues due to the extremely different length pipes, and what's going to happen next, I decided I needed a 2-into-1. The timing on the release of these was absolutely perfect! I doon't like the sound of the Pro Pipe, so i was just about to pull the trigger on some Supertrapp Kerker Stout slipons, and adapt them to the Vaquero (they are an HD pipe).

Old 08-04-2014, 07:20 PM   #10
Advanced Member

they do look awsome man, I recently bought the burnt orange vaq and want some sort of pipes and they have to be black and sound good seeing a lot of good things freedom exhaust. blk and orange would look sweet and eventually no chrome

Old 08-04-2014, 09:12 PM   #11

Nice looking exhaust.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:44 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy Dragon View Post
Right now, the only time I get any popping is when I am cruising at around 1800 rpm and let off the throttle (in other words, in heavy traffic). If I close the throttle all the way, it isn't as bad. I have done quite a bit of work sealing up the intake leaks tho, and i highly recommend checking to make sure you don't have any instead of hoping you don't. The Roarin Toyz intake also comes with a plug for the fresh air recirc hose, which made a HUGE difference. I have an appointment in a couple of weeks that will end up with a really accurate dyno tune...but can't say much more than that...it's a secret...

I had originally wanted the duals, but after learning a bit about them, and the tuning issues due to the extremely different length pipes, and what's going to happen next, I decided I needed a 2-into-1. The timing on the release of these was absolutely perfect! I doon't like the sound of the Pro Pipe, so i was just about to pull the trigger on some Supertrapp Kerker Stout slipons, and adapt them to the Vaquero (they are an HD pipe).
I will definitely be sealing up the intake as I had popping and backfire on the stock exhaust system. I am hoping that my install of the exhaust doesn't have any leaks is what I meant. I did it pretty carefully so I should be good there.

On the breather install, did you do anything to make that more secure? It seems like it will fall off pretty quickly.

Old 08-05-2014, 09:16 AM   #13

As I am somewhat partial to how the 2-1 looks on my skoot, the FP 2-1 in black really does fit ur skoot nicely and looks badass. And as you say it has the same internal baffle design as their duals, the sound has to be great. I wonder what are the tubing sizes FP used and what is the collector diameter?
The supplied baffle of the V&H 2-1 was a joke, very restrictive and produced a tremendous amount of resonance that absolutely drove me crazy. FP's baffle design would not cause that.

RACNRAY

Old 08-05-2014, 10:30 AM   #14

Sparky- I went ahead and splurged for new exhaust crush gaskets when I put the pipes on, and haven't heard anything untold from anywhere on them. The air cleaner assembly is held on by 5 bolts to the TB, just like the stock one, so it is very solid. Roarin Toyz told me to mount it directly to the TB, no gasket, just metal to metal...I went ahead and put some fuel resistant sealant between them.

Ray- I believe the tubes start at the head T 1.75, then step to 2, not sure of the collector, but the baffle starts at 2.5 then goes to 3. The sound is truly amazing! In one of my conversations with Scott at FP, he talked about the Union 2-into-1 for the HD Dressers. He told me they were bolting on 15 hp with those pipes and a tune. He didn't have numbers for the Combat (what they are calling the 2-1 for the metrics), but figured, as I do, it should be something close to that. I know it needs a tune, and that the Pro Pipe map doesn't account for the open air cleaner. I also know the mid range and high end gains are massive, and it has redefined what I think of when i think of a great, balanced V-twin exhaust sound.

I also have to admit one thing, the air cleaner, although really beautiful, and incredibly well constructed, is a bit uncomfortable. Nothing I can't get used to, but not ideal. If you are thinking of a big, open air cleaner, get one that has smooth edges around the cover...those points where the bolts hold the cover to the base plate can dig in to your calf...and they suck when you pick your leg up quickly to put your foot on the floor board, and forget it's there...

Last edited by Gypsy Dragon; 08-05-2014 at 01:27 PM.

Old 08-05-2014, 10:58 AM   #15

Nice looking pipes, and a nice looking bike!