Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 12-21-2008, 07:51 PM   #1

Passing the tedium

For the snowbound. I hope you get a day out soon. ;)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Texas VROC stirred up a ride for Saturday December 20th to have lunch in Austin at Pit Barbecue 4707 Burnet Rd. It was come one, come all and this was where the action was going to be.
Saturday a.m. the alarm went off as per usual but I turned it off and got an extra 45 min in. After all I wasn't going quite as far as I intended. So when I finally rolled my lazy butt out I geared up and put a new card that I had gotten the previous evening in the camera. The rechargable batteries were naturally dead with no time now to recharge so I was going to have to aquire some when I gassed up.
The weather was forecast to be perfect so I wasn't quite expecting a dreary day but it was heavily overcast. As I stepped outside with helmet and gloves in hand I was relieved that it wasn't the spoiler it looked like thru the glass. It was a relatively warm 65* at 8:30am. There had been a heavy fog earlier and it wasn't completely gone. You were still enveloped within the cloud. Warm, yet with a kiss of cool moisture caressing bare skin.
I cranked the bike and let it idle while I put my helmet and gloves on. Dewdrops were disappearing and the street was drying as I backed out of the shed and motored slowly through the sleepy neighborhood. Cracked the throttle out on the highway feeling my way into the morning and making the necessary asjustments in my mind that puts man in harmony with machine. Lightly clad with jacket and gloves and topped with a half helmet, I was still comfortable as the wind had no real bite to it.
Five or so miles to fuel up and put batteries in the camera and the journey began in ernest. Traffic was lite thru town and only a couple bikes. Whoa! What's up with this? Aww man, there was a bike laying on its side on a steep drive a couple miles out with the owner on his cell. Turned out not serious. His electric gate failed to shut completely behind him so he stopped to check it out. He just stopped in the wrong place. Thank God for crash bars. No harm. A young man also stopped to help and the bike was quickly righted. We moved it off the slope to a safer spot. Figured it would be rude to add insult to injury so I didn't take a pic. Wanted to though.
Had intended to take all back roads out of Fredericksburg. I had left with an abundance of time. Spent too much time jawin'. Went thru FBG on Hwy 16 to 290 E. headed to Johnson City. Some may know the area. Went right on by the turn to Lukenbach where we laid Chuck Burts' memorial brick. Didn't think of him yesterday as I passed but I am now. I've been down this road so many times. I suppose if you want to go anywhere your going to have to trod a familiar path. Thoughts turn inward as I merely acknowledge the outside world and go through the necessary motions. I had skipped the morning cup of coffee being excited with getting out but I was looking forward to a short break and a stretch in Johnson City.
As I pulled into the Exxon in JC, there seemed to be a motorcycle at every pump. First Group I had seem all morning. There were a couple pairs but also 3 and more gassing up the enjoy the promise of nice weather. Hey! that guy has a helmet like my full face Arai. We chatted a minute or two and they were off to the Kawasaki shop in dripping Spring to maybe purchase a new bike. Had some Goldwings out including a trike, waiting for the remainder of their group to show. Got my coffee and chatted up a man with a BMW. He and his wife had already been to breakfast in Blanco and were on their way home back to New Braunfels via as it turned out the way I was going.
I didn't know this until he was taking off down 2766. I finished pulling my gloves on and caught up quick. Always easier to follow someone that has been there. Especially when you want to look around a bit as I did. KSU about 10:30. Only took a minute to confirm he knew what he was about. I hung back a bit so as to not distract him. That is to say not to worry him about me crawling all over him and let him ride his ride. The morning was shaping up and getting a little brighter but the Sun just wouldn't break through. We pass Perdenales State Park Rd. on the right and the pavement suddenly was not as wide or as well maintained. Typical old country road with the ribbon following the contour and the easiest route. Oh Yeah! 20 mph recomended posting. At least they were posted. You had to be on your toes. Some were typical that you could take at 10 to 15 over. Others, you'd better take at 20 if you've never been there. Then there's the sign you wonder why they bothered with. Two or three curves into the series you realize they were giving you an early warning. There is a narrow bridge and a cattle guard in there somewhere. I'm still being lazy behind the other fella.
We crossed rr12and this guy is still going my way. I was going to try and snap picture for posterity when a got a chance. My map showed 2766 T'ing into 185 so when he put on his blinker and turned into a side road I thought 'Oh well" and waved. A few miles down the road I started recognizing some land marks and new I should have followed the guy with the GPS. I back tracked and turned down the proper path. Back to solo. Got to pay attention now. 185 or Crumley Ranch Road ( it wasn't marked any where as 185) was pleasant and scenic. I think it climbed a bit more. Wasn't long before it Teed into 3238. Some nice sweepy turns on this one. 3238 T's into Hwy 71. quick pit stop at the corner station and head South about three lights and take a left on Bee Cave rd. Bee Cave will take you through West Lake Hills and all I remember of it were ups and downs and curves all at the same time. I seem to recall quite a few lights but I only caught one. With traffic at speed, what fun!
I ramped on to Loop 1 right about 12 noon so I was only slightly late. Exited onto 45th and caught the light at Burnet Rd. I knew the Pit was supposed to be close and as I turned left I looked up the street in time to see a bike turn on the left side of the street. I watched that spot searching intently for the sign with no luck and no sign of any bikes. After the second pass I looked at the numbers. Odds were on the other side of the street.
Seeing my friends would have been worth driving the cage. It was great to see everyone and hope to see more next week in Gonzales at "High Noon". Will post as soon as we figure out where to eat for sure. Special thanks to Jefe for the invite and for buying everyones lunch. I can't say enough what a pleasure it was to see you all there. May the Lord bless you and keep you.
I won't bore you any more with the ride home. Enjoy the pics. Have a very Merry Christmas.

PS. The Sun did Come out and I had to shed my jacket and use sunscreen. My cheeks got rosey.
Today it barely broke 40* for a high. I rode to church anyway.

for those who didn't see them
http://s411.photobucket.com/albums/p...ustin%20Lunch/

Robert(skeeter)Dozier
07 Red&Titanium Nomad
81 Suzuki 850GL
KawaNow pre#

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-21-2008, 08:17 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to dabull
Passing the tedium

nice outing;)

Aloha

Derry

Old 12-21-2008, 09:22 PM   #3

Passing the tedium

That was a GREAT write-up Skeeter. When I sit up here in cold and snowy Iowa, I wished I could have trailed behind you. Thanks! BnG

Dave Mills AKA BiscuitsNGravy
2006 Vulcan Nomad "BiscuitsNGravy"
Kawanow #150
Vietnam @ Jan67-Jan68
Retired USAF
Patriot Guard Riders/American Legion #431

Old 12-22-2008, 12:24 AM   #4

Passing the tedium

Thanks, Skeeter. It's postings like that that will get me through the next 3-4 months. I have to live vicariously through posts now!

Old 12-22-2008, 09:33 AM   #5
Advanced Member

Passing the tedium

Thanks for sharing, I enjoyed the story and the pics.

I really like the last couple of pics with the nomad parked by the intersection with the shiney road going off into the horizon.

Looks like you had a great time.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-22-2008, 10:58 AM   #6

Passing the tedium

For the snowbound. I hope you get a day out soon. ;)
Thanks for the thought skeeter, but I think it will be awhile for Cindy & I. Our bikes are in here.

Enjoyed your writeup and pics, Thanks
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 12-22-2008, 12:31 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to dabull
Passing the tedium

AAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh!!!

Old 12-22-2008, 03:23 PM   #8

Passing the tedium

Thanks for the write up and the pics. Brings back some very fond memories. I do miss the hill country, and the BBQ.

Old 12-23-2008, 11:49 AM   #9
Advanced Member

Send a message via AIM to dhomoney Send a message via Yahoo to dhomoney
Passing the tedium

Thanks for the report. I spent 3 months in Austin a while back and my companies HQ was on Bee Caves Rd. Brought back some good memories. Thanks.

Old 12-24-2008, 09:21 AM   #10

Passing the tedium

I'm not paying any attention to this crap about Texas this year. Read about these Texas rides all last winter with envy, then I rode down that way in May and nearly drowned. Didn't stop raining until I rode out the other side into New Mexico. I just figure you all drive your pickups to a bar some place and sit around making these stories up so you can snicker at us northerners during winter. I'm not buying it this year.

Dan K
Member #100
2009 ST1300: Performance exceeding even Victory riders' boasts.

Old 12-24-2008, 07:33 PM   #11

Passing the tedium

It's all the Global Warming I'm telling you. Global Warming. You heard it here first.

Old 12-25-2008, 02:02 AM   #12

Passing the tedium

Quote:
Originally Posted by dank
I'm not paying any attention to this crap about Texas this year. Read about these Texas rides all last winter with envy, then I rode down that way in May and nearly drowned. Didn't stop raining until I rode out the other side into New Mexico. I just figure you all drive your pickups to a bar some place and sit around making these stories up so you can snicker at us northerners during winter. I'm not buying it this year.
sucker I'll do my best to reel you in.

Robert(skeeter)Dozier
07 Red&Titanium Nomad
81 Suzuki 850GL
KawaNow pre#