Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 12-17-2008, 08:50 AM   #1

No more trailering

Its amazing how things change in just a few months. As this past summer was coming to a close I bought a used cargo trailer. I made my plans to update the lights to LED, new tires, replace the safety chains, paint, add a cooler rack. So I bought all that gear plus the Hoppy and a luggage rack for the back of the bike. The only thing I didn't have yet was the hitch. This was my plan to take the bike to the Black Hills next June for our anniversary and the national rally. After everything was purchased my wife informed me that she didn't feel safe with the idea of the two of us taking of solo pulling a trailer. That morphed into she didn't feel safe pulling the trailer even if we rode with a group. That eventually turned into she just didn't want to ride that far. She loved the idea of riding in the Hills when we got there but told me the only two ways I was getting her and the bike out west was if she drove and I rode, or we trailer the bike out.

Ok so cutting out the part about all the anger and anymosity between us for a month, I have now sold the Hoppy, thanks oldbiker, sold the luggage rack, and found someone local to buy the trailer as is with all the parts that I bought. That means no work involved on my part. So I guess my days of trailering and long touring ended before they began. :'(

So I took all that money and put it where she can't spend it, bought a venture trunk, mostly for the backrest to make her more comfortable. And the rest will go to other Nomad goodies. SOme rear floorboard reloc kits. Grips, maybe even add some tunes to the bike.

It amazes me how things can change in a short time. ??? ???

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-17-2008, 09:08 AM   #2

No more trailering

Sorry to hear that OP, don't know what else to say, maybe down the road she will feel differently about riding again. ------ happens!

Old 12-17-2008, 09:17 AM   #3
Mega-Contributor

No more trailering

Wow, sorry to hear your plans were squashed before you hitched up the trailer. At least you were able to sell the gear and recoup your investment.

I guess I should feel fortunate that my wife doesn't care what I do (as long as it isn't illegal) and she doesn't care to ride.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 12-17-2008, 09:42 AM   #4
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
No more trailering

I'd pass on getting the trunk unless YOU really have to have it! I did everything to make my ol lady happy in raising the floorboards, really nice leathers and boots, helmet, everything I could think of to make her happy and comfortable. What a waste of money! She doesn't like to ride.

You bubble was popped like mine was. Planning for both and wasting your time. I wouldn't pamper her riding conditions any further. You'll just get more pissed off down the road.

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 12-17-2008, 09:54 AM   #5

No more trailering

I think I'd leave her home so I could enjoy myself among my riding friends. Figure out something else for the anniversary, if you make it that far. Ha

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-17-2008, 10:01 AM   #6

No more trailering

Wow, well sounds like you just need a different trailer, one for the bike, and you'll be all set for some great riding in the Black Hills with your wife. No real problem with that option. Great to have a wife who rides with you. I do hope you will cover it while it's on the trailer. Wouldn't want other bikers to think Nomads have become like Harley's and get trailered around the country.

Dan K
Member #100
2009 ST1300: Performance exceeding even Victory riders' boasts.

Old 12-17-2008, 10:54 AM   #7
Mega-Contributor

No more trailering

Quote:
Originally Posted by dank
Wow, well sounds like you just need a different trailer, one for the bike, and you'll be all set for some great riding in the Black Hills with your wife. No real problem with that option. Great to have a wife who rides with you. I do hope you will cover it while it's on the trailer. Wouldn't want other bikers to think Nomads have become like Harley's and get trailered around the country.
If you trailer your Nomad, get a HD cover with a bar and shield logo for it. We wouldn't want people to think Nomad owners don't ride their bikes.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 12-17-2008, 11:19 AM   #8

No more trailering

Sorry about your situation. I think you already bought the trunk. That tells me you really want your wife to ride with you and are willing to do whatever you have to do to make it happen.
My way of thinking is, if it will make you BOTH happy, trailer the bike and have a great time riding at the rally.
BD, do I detect a note of bitterness in your post
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 12-17-2008, 11:22 AM   #9

No more trailering

CJ I love that idea of the HD cover. I should get a bumper sticker that says "it's on the trailer cause she won't ride it"
She does like to ride she just told me that she gets uncomfortable on the bike riding long distances. I wanted a trunk anyway for the extra storage. The trunk and radio is the only reason I always like the HD ultras when I was younger. I was just pissed that I wasted 5 months worth of time finding all the stuff for the the whole trailer plan and bought it when I included her on the plans from the start and she didn't say anything then.
Al I would leave her home but that would probably be a divorce. We had our honeymoon in the Hills and were planning on returning there this year even before the rally was official. After the rally was announced we just moved up our schedule by one week to include a day or two in Custer. I was trying to get her to go on the bike even without a rally to go to. I figure at least I can go and have my bike.

Old 12-17-2008, 12:19 PM   #10
Top Contributor

No more trailering

Sorry to hear that your plans got changed on you like that. However, at least she does like to ride and that is something. My wife won't even consider riding so I ride alone.

Bob
KawaNOW/VBA 210
Green/Silver 2006
Patriot Guard Riders 2009

Old 12-17-2008, 02:10 PM   #11
Top Contributor

No more trailering

I feel your pain OP. im lucky my wife likes to ride but not across the USA, so we do short hops.

Old 12-17-2008, 03:09 PM   #12
Top Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to rickyboy
No more trailering

My wife was fine with riding until the bike/deer accident. Then there was no way she'd get on the Nomad when I got it. Now she tells me she is considering taking a MSF and would like to get her own bike.
Huh !?!? I'll wait to see if she still feels that way when spring comes around. Because like you know OP, things change. ....

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
108 Mile Ranch, British Columbia
Canada
Vulcan Bagger Assoc. #00722
Black 2006 Nomad

https://cdn2.iconfinder.com/data/ico...Book_32x32.png

Old 12-17-2008, 03:26 PM   #13

Location: 6th Floor up at the The Nervous Hospital up in East Central State, NC
No more trailering

As much as I love and admire both of my granddaddies, I'd hate for them to be alive today to see the peck marks on the back of my neck. I even have a bad feeling my grandma's would giggle at me hysterically..................hold on the washing machine is done and I have to put the clothes in the dryer and get my wife's panty hose out of the sink and hang them on the shower rail.........

??-Mar.2,2012 "Rocky" My Beloved Dog RIP

Mike Tripp
VBA#767
'96 800 Vulcan Classic
06 1600 Nomad
07 1600 Nomad

"The shoes you buy at the Salvation Army is already been broke in"- Aunt Kawhead

Old 12-17-2008, 03:30 PM   #14

No more trailering

OP....been there....done that, or at least some of it.
Like some others have mentioned. When I plan a ride its either solo or with riding buds. Always ask Kay if she wants to go. Most of the time its no.
I've just learned to ride.....and live around it.

Dick Campbell
Blairsville, GA
2008 Red & Black Nomad 1600
(retired)
2009 1900 Yamaha Stratoliner (retired)
2013 1900 Yamaha Stratoliner
2018 CanAm RT Limited Spyder (Sold)
2014 Goldwing Roadsmith Red Trike (Sold)
2019 Goldwing DCT Roadsmith Copper & Black Trike

VBA #243
Darkside #115
Patriot Guard Rider
American Legion Rider

Old 12-17-2008, 03:51 PM   #15

No more trailering

Sounds very familier. Nancy isn't 1) a long distance rider and 2) very sociable. Makes attending rides difficult. Well, we compromise. I go to rallies alone and she goes with me on solo adventures closer to home.