Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 12-10-2012, 12:40 AM   #61
Top Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to rickyboy
".......And I was always taught that burning a little oil isn't such a bad thing and that all engines burn some between changes." Do you want to see "blue smoke" trailing out behind you? No of course not but a small bit of consumption isn't the end of the world, or your bike.

You bike is loosing oil out the exhaust and it is well burnt up before it gets out of the head pipes.

Deceleration is where you loose the most, when the engine is under the highest possible vacuum. At that condition oil is being sucked up past the rings and down thru the valve guides and "there is nothing wrong with engines that do this".

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac View Post
And for guys who use a mirror!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can see looking with a mirror working to know if the oil is low.... But how do you add any?
Real question........

At that point do you get the bike on a adaptor on a jack to hold it? That would work, but would take a long time IMO.

I am not talking a oil change, just adding a ounce or 3 of oil between any change.

macmac
I should just say that we agree with the "burning" of some oil,.....or as I say USING some oil not being a bad thing. I should also say that at home I have the Nomad on a flatbed hoist and it sits upright in a wheel chock so I just bend over and look at the sight glass. I do carry the telescopic mirror with me when I travel to keep an eye on any oil consumption. I rarely ride long dist. alone so I would get my Pal to hold the bike upright when adding any oil {if I needed some}

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
108 Mile Ranch, British Columbia
Canada
Vulcan Bagger Assoc. #00722
Black 2006 Nomad

https://cdn2.iconfinder.com/data/ico...Book_32x32.png

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by rickyboy; 12-22-2012 at 12:23 AM.

Old 12-10-2012, 11:47 AM   #62
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah Motorcyclist View Post
There is about a 3/4" space that is acceptable in the site glass. I'd image the acceptable range has couple of ounces tolerance. In all reality, if you can see the oil line in the sight glass, while the bike is upright, you're just fine. I don't get to concerned lining the level up perfect in the middle or on the top line.
If the level COLD is dead center, when the oil is hot it will be over that top line indicator by something.

That is fine, but filling to that line cold or more, and then making oil hot will get the level above the window completely, and that may or not be fine...

It will be ok to about there the crank hits oil.. Other than that it may drown seals..... I am not all that fussy either close works, but if I get to the top line cold i will drain some from the screen....

That has happened a few times when i was doing a oil change.. and i slurped a bit too much in the filler with a funnel.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 12-10-2012, 12:00 PM   #63
Sr. Contributor

Rickboy, besides engines that are worn out, and have bad rings, and bad valve guides, it is NEW unbroken in engines that pass oil by rings the most.....

ALL internal combustion engines use some oil, that goes out the exhaust. That should happen even after a good proper break in, but it should appear as the engine isn't using any oil for the most part.

If a rider rides hard and is heavy on and off the throttle that will accelerate oil consumption, as will engine braking down long mountain like passes or hills, where the engine is at higher RPM with a closed throttle.

All of that is normal oil loss......

It takes one drop of oil lost every 33 feet to amount to 1 qt. it doesn't matter if the oil was fried in the head pipes, or dropped on the ground to add up to 1 qt either.

A 1000 mile ride is plenty enough to lose a qt of oil, but you may not either, since it depends.

Of course with blow by adding fuel to oil the oil is thinned and then it is easier for oil to pass by rings and into the exhaust...

This is one reason companies like Amsol want to test their oil...... They have a nice product, but there are variables out of their control.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 12-10-2012, 01:27 PM   #64
Top Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to rickyboy
Quote:
Rickboy, besides engines that are worn out, and have bad rings, and bad valve guides, it is NEW unbroken in engines that pass oil by rings the most.....

ALL internal combustion engines use some oil, that goes out the exhaust. That should happen even after a good proper break in, but it should appear as the engine isn't using any oil for the most part.

If a rider rides hard and is heavy on and off the throttle that will accelerate oil consumption, as will engine braking down long mountain like passes or hills, where the engine is at higher RPM with a closed throttle.

All of that is normal oil loss......

It takes one drop of oil lost every 33 feet to amount to 1 qt. it doesn't matter if the oil was fried in the head pipes, or dropped on the ground to add up to 1 qt either.

A 1000 mile ride is plenty enough to lose a qt of oil, but you may not either, since it depends.

Of course with blow by adding fuel to oil the oil is thinned and then it is easier for oil to pass by rings and into the exhaust...

This is one reason companies like Amsol want to test their oil...... They have a nice product, but there are variables out of their control.
All good info mac. Thanks !! My 06 never appears to lose/use/burn oil. That one time, on my way home from Custer is the only time I ever had to top up my oil. The bike was fairly new then ......a few thousand miles on it by then.

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
108 Mile Ranch, British Columbia
Canada
Vulcan Bagger Assoc. #00722
Black 2006 Nomad

https://cdn2.iconfinder.com/data/ico...Book_32x32.png

Old 12-10-2012, 05:33 PM   #65

If I ran my bark hard for long trips on the interstate, I would use up to 1 1/2 litres between changes, other times it would barely be down a bit at oil change time.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-10-2012, 06:00 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringadingh View Post
If I ran my bark hard for long trips on the interstate, I would use up to 1 1/2 litres between changes, other times it would barely be down a bit at oil change time.
Are you talking about your bike or your dog here Steve? , I know If I ran my bark hard for long trips on the interstate he would be one p*ssed off dog but his nails would be nicely worn down.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 12-10-2012, 08:56 PM   #67

Thanks Norm, for bringing my lousey spelling to my attention. I'm still not going to correct it.

VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 12-10-2012, 09:11 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringadingh View Post
Thanks Norm, for bringing my lousey spelling to my attention. I'm still not going to correct it.
Hey Tim's not around, so someone has to do it.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 12-11-2012, 08:29 AM   #69

Grin

I bought the extenders from Chuckster this past summer and only recently had them installed. I had my local dealer do the job and no issues. Only charged me an hour and a half labor. Engine is definitely quieter after warm up. My service guy said that the tensioners had not traveled all the way yet, but he had to admit that the engine made less noise. Now I shouldn't have to worry about it any more.

BTW, I had a little over 43,000 miles on the bike at time of install.

T
VBA #01416
2012 Vaquero SE Candy-Lime Green/Black
aka "T'Kehla"
2005 Nomad 1600 Black/Silver
aka "Mystique" (SOLD)
2006 Vulcan Classic
aka "Lil'Wolf" (SOLD)

"Life isn't a race; no one gets out alive. May as well slow down and enjoy the ride."

Old 12-20-2012, 11:53 PM   #70

Do you think the 1500 needs changing sooner than the 1600 then?

Old 12-21-2012, 12:10 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
There should be no difference as to when they are required, I installed them at around 55k on my 1500.

VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 12-21-2012, 11:22 AM   #72
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
No...... same chain, same cogs, same cam tensioner.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 12-21-2012, 12:11 PM   #73
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
[QUOTE=rickyboy;478796][QUOTE=rickyboy;478516] ".......And I was always taught that burning a little oil isn't such a bad thing and that all engines burn some between changes." Do you want to see "blue smoke" trailing out behind you? No of course not but a small bit of consumption isn't the end of the world, or your bike.

Quote:
You bike is loosing oil out the exhaust and it is well burnt up before it gets out of the head pipes.

Deceleration is where you loose the most, when the engine is under the highest possible vacuum. At that condition oil is being sucked up past the rings and down thru the valve guides and "there is nothing wrong with engines that do this".

macmac
I should just say that we agree with the "burning" of some oil,.....or as I say USING some oil not being a bad thing. I should also say that at home I have the Nomad on a flatbed hoist and it sits upright in a wheel chock so I just bend over and look at the sight glass. I do carry the telescopic mirror with me when I travel to keep an eye on any oil consumption. I rarely ride long dist. alone so I would get my Pal to hold the bike upright when adding any oil {if I needed some}
Ricky, is it safe to say your really suck at using the "quote" button?

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005