Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 06-05-2015, 06:56 PM   #1

wrapping the goats belly

Hey there I've tried finding an answer but most of the threads are for voyagers and refer to the whole pipe, I'm looking at wrapping either just the goats belly or if it is really worth it performance and efficiency wise I will do the whole set of pipes but I'm really looking to keep the heat coming off the goats belly down without gutting it. My wife hated the smell of the last bike and loves having the cat but we roast whenever were stopped (mostly me) is this possible or could it end up overheating the cat? I have the exhaust debaffled and will be doing the caddman mod and adding a dobeck tfi this weekend also, any ideas? Thanks!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-05-2015, 08:30 PM   #2
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
I thought this thread was going to be about Dave and farm animals!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 06-05-2015, 09:13 PM   #3

I'd wait until after you add the processor. With the additional fuel the bike will run a little cooler. Besides , wrapping pipes isn't a fix, it's a band-aid. Save up for a set of aftermarket pipes. Watch ebay and the classified here, you might just find a great deal on a set..

Dave "(dshelly)" Shellenberger
2014 Harley Ultra Classic
2007 1600 Nomad (Black)
Shellenberger Machine
Belgrade, MT
Various Bagger Member (Harley Chapter)
VBA # 2395

Old 06-06-2015, 09:16 AM   #4
Sr. Contributor

Pipe wrap is kind of hydroscopic, and will rot your pipes sooner or later. That cat gets hot for sure and I am not sure wrapping it at all is a wise idea. i doubt it will keep you cooler.

None of that will improve how the bike runs. Wrapped pipes will cook off the chrome and if it doesn't it will color it bad. SWo when the wrap is removed there will be no choice but to put it back.

Doing a cadman and a TFI is a good idea, but with the stock exhaust you probably won't notice muck more power. The cat is just overly restrictive. Just the same the TFI will cool off things some what.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 06-06-2015, 09:55 PM   #5

Okay so the tfi and air intake may help to cool it down a bit, I never plan on getting aftermarket pipes as I can't stand how they sound. If anyone ever made a quiet version (even with baffles it's too loud) I would spring for it. If I did wrap it I wouldn't be wrapping the chrome in with it as mine have only the chrome shield (a black pipe with the outer chrome shield) would this still discplor it? Even if it caused the pipes to eventually rot out I could simply replace them with a new set (and still much cheaper than aftermarket) I would prefer to keep the cat whole even though it is more restrictive, so this takes away my choices of gutting it or replacing I. My biggest question is whether or not it will destroy the cat itself, they are not supposed to exceed much of the operating temp (a big purpose for your o2 sensors in cars is to watch for this) so my question is if it would cause a meltdown of the cat (the material inside) or if it would be harmful in any other ways other than rotting out and the discoloration I can't see happening if its going to cause the exterior of the pipe to be cool where the chrome shroud goes. And on top of that I only wanted to wrap the goats belly to cut down on the heat coming off that, I have no problems from the rest of the pipes

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-06-2015, 11:20 PM   #6
Top Contributor

I noticed a definite increase in torque after a TFI install and Caddman mod.
The bike also ran cooler and did not ping after the mods.

Gutting the goatbelly decreased the torque and I did not like the sound.

Old 06-07-2015, 02:26 AM   #7

Why not make and install a reflector to go on top of the goat belly, to reflect the heat away from you?

Old 06-07-2015, 07:35 AM   #8

maybe you should trade it in for a moped.....

2007 1600 Nomad (Black)
Shellenberger Machine
Belgrade, MT
VBA # 2395

Old 06-07-2015, 09:34 AM   #9

Send a message via ICQ to MJ07Nomad
The heat coming off the goats belly will not be less by wrapping it, It just gets too hot, when I had my goats belly and stock pipes the heat coming off was over 500 degrees, (that is has high a reading my tester would go). If you have the exhaust debaffled and want to stay with that sound try, V and H pipes with stock HD mufflers. I tried that set up and the bike was no louder than a stock Nomad debaffled. I even went as far has to wrap under the heat shields of the V and H head pipes. ended up with cooler pipes only real heat was at the HD mufflers. Add the caddman mod and a dobeck tfi and you should be about has cool as you can get. I no longer run that set up and have returned to V and H mufflers and yes the bike runs even cooler but louder..........

Old 06-07-2015, 10:54 AM   #10
Sr. Contributor

The can the goat belly is made of will get rusty if it is wrapped. it gets rusty anyway. I like the idea of a tin heat shield to keep the heat off you, but it will still feel hotter to your legs than with out it.

V&H baggers exhaust can be wrapped many ways. glass wrap for cars, glass wrap for wood stoves (rope) you can add roofing flashing, bug screen for windows, and in stall a vertical bolt near the exit to break the sound pulse.

This would also get you more power, better mpg's enable running regular (TFI does this ) cooler running engine that isn't strained to just idle.

If you had ever wrapped pipes before, and saw what it does to the pipes you wouldn't want to do it again.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 06-07-2015, 11:48 AM   #11

I had my pipes sprayed with ceramic powdercoat. ( Cerakote) Put the heat shields back on and wow! what a difference. Hardly any tink,tink,tink, after you shut the bike off. I'm liking it....

2007 1600 Nomad (Black)
Shellenberger Machine
Belgrade, MT
VBA # 2395