Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 12-11-2014, 10:38 PM   #1

Additional Light Wiring Question

I added the Kaw running light kit and it looks great. I still have a set of spot light kit left from my Nomad which mounts to the engine guard. I'd also like to install these on the Vaq. You can never have enough light on a bike!!

Anyway, I did some research and according to the owner's manual the total wattage for all the accessories is 120 W including the running lights, power outlet, etc. I traced the wires on the electrical drawings and that seemed to confirm it. I have the power outlet but probably will use it rarely now I have the GPS hard wired to one of the communication wires. I imagine the GPS does not require much power so I'll ignore it. If I add the additional lights to the stock running lights, I'll have 140 W (4 x 35W). The question I have is if I can wire the second set of lights to the accessory connector in the fairing without harming the wiring. I'll be 20 W over so not sure if that will be a problem. Otherwise I guess I can run a fused wire directly to the battery and take the tank off, etc. etc.

I'd sure appreciate some advice on this . Electrical wiring is a dark art to me. Just don't want to burn something up.

Thanks a lot.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-11-2014, 10:52 PM   #2
Mega-Contributor

I would not wire these additional lights to any existing wiring circuit. Run a direct circuit to the battery and control the lights using a relay.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 12-11-2014, 10:56 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack View Post
I would not wire these additional lights to any existing wiring circuit. Run a direct circuit to the battery and control the lights using a relay.
10-4. Thanks. I kinda figured that was the best way. I was planning to use a relay no matter what.

Thanks again,

Old 12-12-2014, 11:46 AM   #4
Advanced Member

Pete, do you ride that muchnat night? I would think with the auxilary lights and headlamp with a good bright bulb would be sufficient without taxing the charging system with more lights. Just my 2 cents , which is worth probably less than 2 cents.

On the 1500, too much to list.

On the Vaquero:
V&H slash cut slip ons
Power Commander 5 and Ivan-ized ECU
Chuckster's BAK
Aux Audio adapter with bluetooth receiver.
Mustang 2 up Touring Seat w/ driver and passenger backrest
Kuryakyn Longhorn highway pegs.
Kawasaki 12 volt charger
Longer 1600 meanstreak SE kickstand
Full LED Daymaker light mod.

Old 12-12-2014, 07:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Vega View Post
Pete, do you ride that muchnat night? I would think with the auxilary lights and headlamp with a good bright bulb would be sufficient without taxing the charging system with more lights. Just my 2 cents , which is worth probably less than 2 cents.

Ken, I usually try to avoid riding at night. The old peepers ain't what they used to be and a lot of wild life around here. I just happen to like those lights on the bars and they have a bright turn signal as well.

http://home.insightbb.com/~kpmh.005/N-HW-Spotlite.htm

I found that the lights on the bars are actually more visible for some reason since the lights are more spread out. Maybe my imagination but I've only had one car pull out in front of me in a lot of years. Besides, I like to tinker...lol.

Lot of folks on here like this. that's why you can get an answer to everything related to your bike:

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by kpmhspirit; 12-13-2014 at 04:17 PM.

Old 12-12-2014, 09:43 PM   #6
Advanced Member

I hear ya Pete, trust me where I live in South Florida you need to be as visible as possible, day and night. Last night I put off going to bike night on a gut feeling telling me to stay home. People drive like a$$holes here. And I love to work on these bikes as well. So far the Vaq seems as simple as the 1500 classic I have. I can take that thing apart blindfolded. I am still learning this bike mostly because of all the electronics. I am scared of yanking on wires.

On the 1500, too much to list.

On the Vaquero:
V&H slash cut slip ons
Power Commander 5 and Ivan-ized ECU
Chuckster's BAK
Aux Audio adapter with bluetooth receiver.
Mustang 2 up Touring Seat w/ driver and passenger backrest
Kuryakyn Longhorn highway pegs.
Kawasaki 12 volt charger
Longer 1600 meanstreak SE kickstand
Full LED Daymaker light mod.

Old 12-13-2014, 07:33 AM   #7
Advanced Member

On my 2010 Nomad my headlight, driving lights and crash bar lights are all LED

The driving lights and crash bar light are on their own circuit through a relay and a switch direct to the battery
Nomad 2010
Voyager trunk
Alleycat intake / YVANIZE ECU, Freedom performance 2 into 1
Kuryaken grip with Throttle mod
lost of chrome add on
Sound digital 1200.4 2 ohm
6 x 9 MPX 690 Hertz in custom fairing
6.5 hcx hertz speakers in hard bags
6.5 MPX hertz in pods