Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 12-18-2014, 02:39 PM   #1
Advanced Member

Catalytic Converter Delete

I did a site search for information on a replacement box for the catalytic converter and came up with only one thread from 2008. I showed some Harley Softail style tool boxes.

For the Rocket 3 riders there is a box manufactured called a Cat Delete. One removes the cat and replaces it with an empty can of the same dimensions and and ports for the exhaust pipe inlet and 3 mufflers. It was the first performance upgrade I did which did not require a modified tune and it provided a notable increase in power.

Is there anything made like that for the 1600 Nomad or have a missed a thread that provides information on it?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-18-2014, 02:58 PM   #2
Top Contributor

Some people have gutted the catalytic converter (goatbelly) on the 1600's with mixed results. There was someone years ago making a device to eliminate the goatbelly but I don't think it is available anymore. Most people go the aftermarket exhaust route that eliminates the goatbelly completely.

Old 12-18-2014, 03:45 PM   #3
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjay View Post
Some people have gutted the catalytic converter (goatbelly) on the 1600's with mixed results. There was someone years ago making a device to eliminate the goatbelly but I don't think it is available anymore. Most people go the aftermarket exhaust route that eliminates the goatbelly completely.
I figured that was probably the case and I'm not sure why since there are so many more Vulcans out there than Rocket 3s. When I purchased my Nomad I resolved do a bunch of performance upgrades like I have done on so many other bikes.

Still.....there some nice aftermarket exhausts out there for the Nomad and it could use just a wee bit more pep.

I'll search the site for some threads on aftermarket exhausts to see what others have done.

Old 12-18-2014, 03:56 PM   #4
Top Contributor

If you leave the mufflers stock and gut the goatbelly or come up with some piping to eliminate the goatbelly you wont gain much. In my case after gutting the goatbelly there was less torque.

Old 12-18-2014, 06:52 PM   #5
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjay View Post
If you leave the mufflers stock and gut the goatbelly or come up with some piping to eliminate the goatbelly you wont gain much. In my case after gutting the goatbelly there was less torque.
Thanks and I just noted an error in my post. I meant to type "I resolved NOT to do any performance upgrades". I found another thread on gutting the goatbelly which doesn't sound very productive as you suggest. I'll consider some new mufflers at some point, probably after riding it this summer.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-18-2014, 07:35 PM   #6
Mega-Contributor

Trash the stock exhaust system, it's too narrow and restrictive and install a good aftermarket system, then open up the intake and let the bike breathe. You can't just add slipons to the 1500/1600's because of the goat belly.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 12-18-2014, 09:13 PM   #7
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack View Post
Trash the stock exhaust system, it's too narrow and restrictive and install a good aftermarket system, then open up the intake and let the bike breathe. You can't just add slipons to the 1500/1600's because of the goat belly.
Recommendations Scott? On my Super Glide I have Screamin' Eagle mufflers and air intake on my Super Glide. I had Screamin' Eagle heads, a Mikuni carb, Screamin' Eagle intake, Crane came and Crane Hi-4E single fire ignition on my Electra Glide.

I'm in the learning stage on the Nomad.

Crap but here I go again with the mods. And I wasn't going to do this.

Old 12-18-2014, 09:43 PM   #8
Mega-Contributor

Your choices are pretty limited. There's only maybe 3 choices for the Nomad. Any one of them is an improvement over the stock system. I have V&H Power Duals and Rinehart mufflers on my Harley. Not near as many choices for the Nomad.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Last edited by cactusjack; 12-18-2014 at 09:47 PM.

Old 12-18-2014, 09:49 PM   #9
Top Contributor

Techlusion (Dobeck) fuel processor, Chucksters intake, Cobra exhaust.

Old 12-19-2014, 12:28 PM   #10

ShadeTree Engineering open intake, Dobeck processor, Stage II debaffed stock exhaust. Runs like a scalded cat.