Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 08-10-2013, 11:59 AM   #31

I will stay with stock. Threw away good money when I had my st1300 looking for a better windshield. Other shields were either much noisier or not as good protection. Just my experience, love the protection my stock shield gives me. Sure a smoked shorty would look cooler.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-10-2013, 03:04 PM   #32

My experience with the Windvest is a little different than Rusty's.
I had the stock 18" shield on my Voyager, and had a 10" Windvest installed while in Laughlin for River Run, met with Doug, and he installed it and let me take it for a test ride and I haven't seen my stock shield since (other than sitting on the shelf). the handling improved, the air movement around the rider and passenger is much better, and that really helps with the temps in the triple digits here (110 yesterday) and the view is so much better, I really like seeing over the shield rather than through it. I am 5'11" with a 34 inch inseam and ride with a half helmet, and have no problem with buffeting. I don't feel any wind hitting me in the shoulders either, unlike the KW the Windvest follows the same lines as the stock shield not curved on the edges. I ride highway daily on 40 mile commute and have no problem hearing my stock stereo with rear speakers, always have it at 10 or 11 and it rocks at 80 mph.
Doug told me this would happen and it does, you see something like a bug coming at you and you prepare for impact, and it just disappears, I never get hit in the face, and it even works better than expected in the rain.
For those taller folks, Doug told me he could make a 12" shield and was actually trying to get one in standard production, just give him a call if I needed one taller than the 10".
let alone you cant beat the looks, so much better than stock, just the looks of the KW turned me off........IMO.

2012 Voyager / Gone
2006 Vulcan Classic Anniversary Edition / Gone

VBA #02052
VROC #34932

Old 08-17-2013, 07:03 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACNRAY View Post
I would be very interested in your results with that shield, that is what I am kinda leaning towards.

THANX
RACNRAY
Well I spent a good 6 hours on the bike today with the new 10 inch smoke Windvest shield. I am 5 11 and have a mustang seat. All I can say is it made a huge difference. This shield for me is perfect, I can see over it, the wind noise is considerably less and no buffeting at all. The radio was clear and even my girlfriend on the mustang "perch" found it much better.

Last edited by JohnnyCaunuck; 08-17-2013 at 07:10 PM.

Old 08-28-2013, 03:34 PM   #34

A better Klockwerks shield...kinda sort of...

Believe it or not I have kept the K/W shield on the skoot. The improvement in handling, mpg and acceleration somewhat outweighed the increased windblast...to a point.

I will never be famous enuff to have a bobble-head doll made of me, and was gettin tired of the fairly heavy windblast and wind noise. I do quite a bit of hiway driving and it was startin to get to me.

I had the idea if I could raise the shield a bit it would lessen the windblast. So last nite I removed the K/W shield, installed the stock "wind deflector" and mounted the K/W shield on top. This raised the K/W shield about 1 3/8". The K/W shield was also tilted a bit more forward at the top due to not sitting on the fairing.

I rode last nite and did an errand up to Ft. Lauderdale earlier today. Most deffinately an improvement over just the K/W shield. Better wind protection, tho not as good as I was used to with the 12" and 14" Kawi shields. I can hear the stereo better, handling is the same and so far it seems gas mileage is even better!!

The Vaq is a bagger and I now see how the 14" shield, although it served it's purpose, took away from the looks. The skoot now looks the part with out the drawbacks of the stock and the bigger shields.

RACNRAY

Last edited by RACNRAY; 08-28-2013 at 03:38 PM.

Old 09-05-2013, 04:53 PM   #35

Quote:
Believe it or not I have kept the K/W shield on the skoot. The improvement in handling, mpg and acceleration somewhat outweighed the increased windblast...to a point.

I will never be famous enuff to have a bobble-head doll made of me, and was gettin tired of the fairly heavy windblast and wind noise. I do quite a bit of hiway driving and it was startin to get to me.

I had the idea if I could raise the shield a bit it would lessen the windblast. So last nite I removed the K/W shield, installed the stock "wind deflector" and mounted the K/W shield on top. This raised the K/W shield about 1 3/8". The K/W shield was also tilted a bit more forward at the top due to not sitting on the fairing.

I rode last nite and did an errand up to Ft. Lauderdale earlier today. Most deffinately an improvement over just the K/W shield. Better wind protection, tho not as good as I was used to with the 12" and 14" Kawi shields. I can hear the stereo better, handling is the same and so far it seems gas mileage is even better!!

The Vaq is a bagger and I now see how the 14" shield, although it served it's purpose, took away from the looks. The skoot now looks the part with out the drawbacks of the stock and the bigger shields.

RACNRAY
Thanks Ray for the info about the Klock Werks shield. I spoke to them today and they said they would have a darker version of the windshield coming out in a few weeks. I mentioned that you had raised the windshield a bit and had a better ride. I also gave them this website. They said they welcome any feedback they receive on the Voyager/Vaquero shield. I will definitely buy the darker shield as I like the sculpted looks of this shield over all others.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-05-2013, 05:41 PM   #36

I have a dark smoke on back order as I want to get rid of/minimize the difference in the color of the 2 shields.

So who's gonna want to buy my light tint shield ata good price? I'm gonna lose my butski on it but whataya gonna do?

RACNRAY

Old 09-05-2013, 10:00 PM   #37

Quote:
I have a dark smoke on back order as I want to get rid of/minimize the difference in the color of the 2 shields.

So who's gonna want to buy my light tint shield ata good price? I'm gonna lose my butski on it but whataya gonna do?

RACNRAY
Ray what would be a good price. I live in wisco maybe bring it back past the w/h it left lol.

Old 09-06-2013, 09:45 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon497 View Post
Ray what would be a good price. I live in wisco maybe bring it back past the w/h it left lol.
$100 plus the shipping will work. I am really loving the way the Vaq looks now, those tall shields took too much away and I didn't realize how much till I put this one on. It looks even better mounted on the stock shield.

RACNRAY

Old 09-06-2013, 11:39 PM   #39

Quote:
$100 plus the shipping will work. I am really loving the way the Vaq looks now, those tall shields took too much away and I didn't realize how much till I put this one on. It looks even better mounted on the stock shield.

RACNRAY
I talked to the boss in accounting and she says no go. Getting hitched in 2 weeks and apparently all extra fun tickets arent bein handed out. thanks any ways, i know i'm going to regret not just buying it... how much would shipping be area code 53032. i buy windshield maybe and she gets a radio for her skoot... hmm mite just work.

Old 09-09-2013, 12:53 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon497 View Post
I talked to the boss in accounting and she says no go. Getting hitched in 2 weeks and apparently all extra fun tickets arent bein handed out. thanks any ways, i know i'm going to regret not just buying it... how much would shipping be area code 53032. i buy windshield maybe and she gets a radio for her skoot... hmm mite just work.
You were the first of two to respond wanting the shield. I will maintain you as first to get the shield. I will pm you when my shield is avaliable, let me know right away if you want the shield, otherwise it will go to the other interested member.

RACNRAY

Old 09-09-2013, 11:24 PM   #41

Quote:
You were the first of two to respond wanting the shield. I will maintain you as first to get the shield. I will pm you when my shield is avaliable, let me know right away if you want the shield, otherwise it will go to the other interested member.

RACNRAY
Ray if u would please let the other guy have it. I have line on a windvest locally for a good price im gonna try out and maybe purchase. Thanks again for all of your posts and all the info u share.

Old 09-09-2013, 11:57 PM   #42

A couple years ago I bought the Long Ride Shields 7" X-Stream Shield, which is a similar shape. It didn't work for me at all and I decided to the Long Ride Shields 6" Ultra Recurved. Although it was an inch shorter the wind protection was a night and day difference.

VBA #1051 (Former President)

Old 10-02-2013, 11:09 AM   #43

The dark smoke K/W shield is now on the skoot and the light smoke is for sale, check it out in the classified section.

THANX
RACNRAY

Old 10-06-2013, 07:35 PM   #44

How bout a pic of the new set up and how you attached the two?
Thanks!

Old 10-07-2013, 10:00 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by caesar View Post
How bout a pic of the new set up and how you attached the two?
Thanks!
See the pics in above post #35