Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 01-11-2009, 11:25 AM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to nomad
TPS adjustment Vs. processor

what is best? gadget's site shows the tps adjustment
and i have read about the processor here. i plan on
doing the k&n filter, already have the gutted goat belly
and debaffle. if either works well, why spend the $180.00
for the fuel processor? thanks for the help guys (and gals :))

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-11-2009, 12:41 PM   #2

The only thing I can say is the TPS adjustment enriches the fuel at all RPM evenly, vs the fuel computer that enriches the fuel delivery based on RPM.

I have been tempted to do the TPS adjustment, but I've seen very few reviews... actually, I haven't seen any.... on here by those that have done it and are happy with it. Seems most go for the computer. Can't say I blame 'em.

The good thing about the TPS adjustment is that it's completely reversible and is basically free.

"Taranis" and the Lovely Ann
KawaNOW Oldschool #885
His: 2006 Nomad
Hers: 2008 VN900 Classic LT

Old 01-11-2009, 12:44 PM   #3
Top Contributor

Well, I never had a ping issue...but I always felt like I should be getting a little more "ummph" than I got with stock set up.

I did the tps adjustment and ended up 4.50 (If my memory serves me right, it's been a couple years...but I seem to remember that I was at 4.48 when I first checked).....I will try to look it up to make sure). It helps tremendously with throttle response .... I also opened the right side intake and installed a 680ohm resistor in the air temp sensor.

I was pretty happy..no ping (never had it).....nice throttle response.......then I decided to go ahead and buy a TFI.

It is definitely worth the $180. I kept the tps at 4.5 but removed the resistor. More power and response across the entire throttle and rpm range...smoother and cooler running engine. Fuel is controlled also based off of the load and not just the same across the board. Definitely still no ping.........

Having tried all the tricks for 18months to 2 years (and they all work and work OK)...I would have to say that I recommend going ahead and getting yourself a fuel processor.

Hope that helps

Todd Frazier
VBA #0003
VBA National Leader-USA Operations/Garage Moderator - RETIRED
2006 Black Nomad since she was born
Greensboro, NC

Old 01-11-2009, 09:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad
i plan on
doing the k&n filter, already have the gutted goat belly
and debaffle.
Ok let's make sure we are all on the same page, what type K&N? One to replace the stock filter on the left side or are you planning a K&N intake mod like the coyote or caddmann, etc?

If you're just replacing the stock paper filter with a K&N with no intake mod you can get by with TPS or resistor mod.

If you're looking at an intake mod then a processor maybe a better choice.

I am running debaffle, gutted bladder, and a K&N filter that just replaces the stock paper one. My bike was lean especially this last summer. It had some surging and it would just die on me. I did adjust the TPS to the max end of the allowable scale and this did help some. I ended up doing a 470 ohm resistor mod and I put the TPS back to it's original setting. The 470 was a little rich and know I'm running 220 which seem to be about right.

Old 01-12-2009, 02:46 PM   #5
Top Contributor

TFI makes the most difference in power IMO.

Login or Register to Remove Ads