Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Regional Groups > Regional Groups > SouthCentral Group

Old 10-02-2008, 07:41 AM   #1

Going to ES AR 17 th Oct.

The wife and I are riding to ES AR on the 17 oct. GOing to meet the mother in law up there. Any must see's or rides?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-02-2008, 09:27 AM   #2

The trees will be turning and almost any road will be great. I would suggest riding down Hwy 7 south of Harrison and also hwy 23 south out of ES to Hwy 40. You can do a long day ride and do both roads, going down one and coming back up the other. Hwy 23 is the PIG TRAIL and between highway 16 and I 40 is a lot of 10 and 15 mph switchbacks. Highway 7 is not as challenging but you will cross the Buffalo Nation River area with lots of senic views. I also like to ride Hwy 74 from Jasper west to hwy 23. Be sure to visit War Eagle Mill and have some pie and ice cream. Thorn Chapel church on highway 62W out of ES is a great see.

Maybe I just should come down and give you the 2 cent tour.

Old 10-02-2008, 05:57 PM   #3

we are refiguring our dates, thinking of leaving here on the 16th rather than the 17th. either way, we are going to see the passion play and go to war eagle for the flea market i think. My inlaws go every october, so will see what all they have on the agenda, all i know is im doing some riding!!!!

Old 10-03-2008, 06:52 AM   #4

Watchman you sound like you know a lot about ES what is the weather like in early spring I am trying to set a date for a mini rally so we can get together before the big rally in June maybe make plans so some of us can ride together to Custer. Thanks Jim

Old 10-03-2008, 08:12 AM   #5

I have been down there in April, May and June. April always has a chance for rain. May and June is great. OKVROC has there Spring Fling there next May 13-16. Following your line of thinking the mini rally would be June 11-14 with people leaving the 14th for Custer. That would be a full 2 day ride from ES to Custer.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-03-2008, 03:34 PM   #6

Jim when I first read your post I thought you wanted the rally right before Custer. Now I understand more clearly. If you are thinking about families and kids that would be late May or early June. If you are looking for a parent get-a-way I would suggest early May. Carolyn's Ozark Inn on East Van Buren is a nice place with a very flat parking lot and they are Biker friendly. I would also suggest checking with the ES Chamber of Commerace to see what is going on there before setting a date.

Old 10-03-2008, 06:20 PM   #7

Thanks Watchman I was thinking early May I will check with the Chamber of Commerce and then come up with a date. Thanks again Jim

Old 10-03-2008, 09:39 PM   #8

Rode Arkansas south to north and back this June. Best part of the ride, Hwy. 7 from Harrison to Hot Springs. Hit the trail about 8AM, we had cool dry air, slight standing mist sporadicly placed and scenery that made you just slow down and not care where you were, or how long you were there.

There's a good deal of shaded road, so plan on it being cold. I can only imagine the colors will be outstanding. Wish we could join you. It is a ride worth doing again.

Old 10-03-2008, 10:56 PM   #9

Early May would be a good time. Not to hot yet and still plenty of time to make plans for Custer.

Old 10-20-2008, 10:27 PM   #10

Well heres how it went. Left Palestine TX on Wednesday aroun two pm in a down pour rain. Stayed that way all the way to Hugo OK. Arrived in McAlester OK and bought dry gloves, dry socks, and some new boots for the wife. Rode cold, wet and dark to ES arriving at 2 am. Took a few small rides but mostly enjoyed the festivities ES has to offer. Rode the pig trail on the way home. Great color, Kinda cold, But well worth it. cant wait to go back