Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Rides/Trip Reports/Travel Information

Old 07-04-2013, 12:22 AM   #16

Hey Chili - I can't really give you a North Conway hotel recommendation because it's too local for us so we never stay over. That being said, when I'm looking for a motel in a place I'm unfarmiliar with, I often check Tripadvisror http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g4...re-Hotels.html. I have heard many people recommend Golden Gables Inn (on Tripadvisor forum) and Colonial Motel review says they're biker friendly.

As for Bar Harbor. We usually stay at the Belle Ilse Motel http://www.belleislemotel.net/ They have two buildings (one up front and one down the side) I would recommend the front building ( it has a tar parking area - the other building has a crushed stone parking area). However my boss and their friends (who ride Harley's) stay at The Colony http://www.colonyathullscove.com/ They like it. I have never stayed here myself but this is the one I would recommend to you and here's why... there is a restaurant across the street, there is a convenience store with gas two buildings over and it is REALLY close to the entrance to Acadia National Park.

I agree with Gerry about using I89 (instead of Rte. 2) from So. Burlington to Montpelier. We were just up there a couple of weeks ago and that part of Rte. 2 is not-so-great. The rest of Rte. 2 is good.

The part of Rte. 2 in Maine from Gorham NH to Bangor Me. is a great ride. We have also done this recently coming home from Bar Harbor. It's just a nice cruising road.

Leaving Bar Harbor (heading south) you basically have two options. Back to Bangor and down I95 or Rte. 1. Rte 1 is a nice ride but as you get lower in Maine there are more traffic lights and possibly more congestion (depending on what day of the week you are traveling and what time of day). You could get the best of both worlds by taking Rte. 1 down to just above Portland Me. then jumping on I95 to bypass the congestion. It all depends on whether you plan to sight-see along the way or if you just plan to get-out-of-dodge.

I'm not really sure what your into or if you even plan to make stops, but this is something I would recommend to check out http://www.delorme.com/about/eartha.aspx. It's a big earth (3 stories high) inside of a building that rotates on an axis. Very detailed, very cool. It's in Falmouth Me. at the Delorme maps headquarters.

I hope this helps and if there is anything else I can help with please don't hesitate to ask.
Tour Master riding gear

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by turtle; 07-04-2013 at 12:29 AM.

Old 07-04-2013, 02:20 AM   #17

Guys I really appreciate all the feedback, between here and a couple of other forums I'm hoping I come up with a route we'll never forget!

Regarding that route from Burlington any thoughts on this advice I got on another forum?

"In Vermont, you can do better than Route 7 north. Try continuing on Route 17 over the mountains over to Route 100 in Waitsfield. Take Route 100 north to Waterbury."

Looking on a map it seems like that might be a nice adjustment for that area?

Coming South I believe we'll take #1 and then decide on where to stay for a couple of days likely in the Worcester area or nearby. This will give me an opportunity to head into Boston, and easily be in reach of catching up with some old friends in Johnston RI and Stafford Springs, CT.

From there I want to try to at least ride through a portion of New Jersey and Delaware on my way to the Dale City area to catch up with another buddy. After that it becomes about managing days on the return trip and seeing if maybe we can squeeze in the Skyline Drive before turning Northwest for Central Canada.

Doug Engstrom
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour
2001 Vulcan Nomad 1500FI, (Sold at 83,000 km)

Old 07-04-2013, 03:12 AM   #18

We were in Vermont last year and we rode Rte. 17. We liked it so much we rode it twice (both ways). I say go for it........
When going north on 100, you'll have your choice of staying on 100 or taking 100b to Rte. 2. I remember 100b being a nice road.
Tour Master riding gear

Old 07-04-2013, 01:00 PM   #19
Sr. Contributor

I didn't recommend route 17, as it has some switchbacks, that some are not comfortable with. That being said, I have ridden it many times without fail and when I'm feeling adventurous that is where I go. There are a few off camber corners that even at slow speeds can stand the bike upright in the middle of a turn. I've sat at picnic table corner and have helped many riders up off the asphalt. Caution should be adhered to on route 17 as it starts up, over and down the other side of the heights. Not all riders on a long trip are looking for adventure. But route 17 is a highly rated ride in the New England area.

Route 100B is a good option if you don't want a good lunch in Waterbury,
(Arvads http://www.arvads.com/ or the
Alchemist micro-brewery http://www.alchemistbeer.com/ ) or to visit Ben & Jerry's.

After all that, don't be afraid of route 17, if you watch the signs and the recommended speed for the corners you will be just fine.
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Last edited by Loafer; 07-04-2013 at 05:29 PM.

Old 07-04-2013, 02:25 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loafer View Post
I didn't recommend route 17, as it has some switchbacks, that some are not comfortable with. That being said, I have ridden it many times without fail and when I'm feeling adventurous that is where I go. There are a few off camber corners that even at slow speeds can stand the bike upright in the middle of a turn. I've sat at picnic table corner and have helped many riders up off the asphalt. Caution should be adhered to on route 17 as it starts up, over and down the other side of the heights. Not all riders on a long trip are looking for adventure. But route 17 is a highly rated ride in the New England area.

Route 100B is a good option if you don't want a good lunch in Waterbury, (Arvads or the Alchemist micro-brewery) or to visit Ben & Jerry's.

After all that, don't be afraid of route 17, if you watch the signs and the recommended speed for the corners you will be just fine.
Good Advice, as always, Gerry. Thanks for helping the downed bikers. That road was certainly an adventure for us. As was Smuggler's notch road (108), which I'm sure you've done as well.
Tour Master riding gear

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-04-2013, 05:34 PM   #21
Sr. Contributor

A MC friend of mine lives in Jeffersonville the other side of Smugglers notch from Stowe, I use it frequently. Have to watch for cars crowding the line. There are so many roads to ride and have fun on, it takes time to do them all. I think Doug is trying to experience what he can, in the time he is allowing. Hope he does have fun.

Anyone else reading here, route 100 south of Warren, Vt. has been hit hard once again by flood waters.
Parts of the road are absolutely gone in the Granville notch area.

Seek another route.

Last edited by Loafer; 07-04-2013 at 05:37 PM.

Old 07-05-2013, 01:12 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loafer View Post
AI think Doug is trying to experience what he can, in the time he is allowing.
You've got it bang on Gerry, generally when we do a tour like this it's about seeing as much as possible without setting up an extended basecamp and doing multiple day rides. My thought is once I've seen all the states/areas I'll go back to my favorites and really wear them out!

Switchbacks are no worry, I just spent 7 days in N.C. in May satisfying my inner racer, I love to carve turns!

Doug Engstrom
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour
2001 Vulcan Nomad 1500FI, (Sold at 83,000 km)

Old 07-05-2013, 09:42 AM   #23
Sr. Contributor

Doug, sounds like route 17 would be a good choice you for then. I've never been to the Dragon's Tail, some friends of mine have and say that anyone that rides route 17 would have no problem with the Dragon. When you get to Montpelier, the Capital building is one of the prettiest in the country.

As you enter Montpelier from I-89 exit 8 you will be joining route 2 and you will see the golden dome of the capital on your left. Take a left at the second traffic light and then a right onto State St., most of the buildings are occupied by State agencies, when you have seen enough go straight to the traffic light and take a right, at the next traffic light take a left, you will then be on route 2 east again. On your right is a Dunkin Donuts, Cumberland Farms Conveneice store usually has the lowest gas prices. Further up the street on the left is a Chinese restaurant 'House of Tang' with a lunch buffet. At the traffic circle next to the Ford dealership you have the option of going onto route 302 (1st exit) or staying on route 2 ( second exit). About a couple of miles on route 302 there are food options, the Wayside restaurant is well know by Yankee magazine readers as a great place for yankee style food and very reasonable prices, don't let the line at the door discourage you, it moves rather quickly. Beyond that is Pizza Hut, Panera Bread, China moon (buffet) to the left in the Big Lots plaza, Burger King and McDonalds are across from each other and Subway is in the next small strip mall to the left after McDonalds. I truly hope you enjoy your time through Vt.

Last edited by Loafer; 07-05-2013 at 09:46 AM.