Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Rides/Trip Reports/Travel Information

Old 06-16-2013, 07:52 PM   #1

Looking for NE USA Planning Help

My wife and I will be attending a rally in Sarnia, Ontario and after that we have about 15 days to tour the NE USA. Looking for any great routes or must see sites etc as we are completely unfamiliar with the area.

Planning to hit as many States in the area as possible without rushing as we generally do roughly 300 miles a day while on vacation. Also neither of us have ever been to NYC and it's something we'd like to see at some point. Is it feasible on a bike trip to find somewhere to safely secure the bike in the area and find alternate transportation to tour the city?

Doug Engstrom
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour
2001 Vulcan Nomad 1500FI, (Sold at 83,000 km)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-17-2013, 10:10 AM   #2

Hi Chili - I'd be more than happy to help you with your planning for the New England states. Might be easier however to talk about it rather than posting. If you PM me a phone number I can reach you at, I'll give you a call one evening and see what I can do to answer any questions you have. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to have a map handy at that time so we can talk about possible routes and things to see along the way.

BTW - 300 miles goes a long way in New England, except maybe for Maine. You could drive across Rhode Island six times for that.

Tomm

Tom Maziarz (tomm)
VBA #00766
2008 Kawasaki Nomad (Black)
1978 Suzuki GS750EC (My son is riding it now.)

2017: National Rally - Lake George, NY
2016: NE US / E Canada Rally - Mont Tremblant, QC
2015: National Rally - Eureka Springs, AR
2014: NE US / E Canada Rally - Lincoln, NH
2012: NE US / E Canada Rally - Wellsboro, PA

Old 06-17-2013, 08:50 PM   #3

If you your plans get you to NYC drop a message. I've been a lurker mostly for quite a while, was a 95 Voyager owners for years before the 08 Vulcan. Glad to help with input on places to stay on NJ very very close to NYC if you don't plan to ride into city.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:02 PM   #4
Top Contributor

You're riding a Victory. ANY roads will be fun! (Sorry. They make me say that.)
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
2014 Nomad - SOLD
2012 Victory Vision - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 06-21-2013, 09:51 AM   #5

Thanks for the offers guys, I'll get in touch!

Doug Engstrom

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-21-2013, 11:06 AM   #6

Holler at Mac and Loafer as well.. I understand they have some gorgeous roads...

David Hollinger
2002 Beige 1500 "Hannah2"
VBA # 02195

Old 06-30-2013, 04:27 PM   #7
Sr. Contributor

All depends on where you enter Vermont and where you are headed. As to which roads I would recommend. Let me know where you are entering from New York and where in New Hampshire you wish to go. Will try to help.
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Old 06-30-2013, 04:46 PM   #8

As it stands right now all I have is a loose idea of staying in Northern NY and perhaps going through the Adirondacks while making our way East towards to Coast, perhaps through the White Mountains? Not sure if there is a great value in going as far North as Bar Harbour before turning South or not as well. From there no plan at all other than I do want to stop by and say hello to a couple of old acquaintances, one in R.I. and the other in CT.

We've had a few folks recommend just picking a base in the Adirondacks and staying put and exploring the area for several days and then moving to another base. and exploring that area. Generally we tend to keep moving versus setting up a base camp anywhere.

Doug Engstrom

Old 06-30-2013, 06:02 PM   #9

This was a recommended route on another forum to get to the Coast http://goo.gl/maps/bTWJ2

Doug Engstrom

Old 06-30-2013, 07:10 PM   #10

As far as Bar Harbor goes, I would include it if you have the time. If it were me, I would make my plans and if there was enough extra time, then I would add it. Kind of keep it off to the side and if time permits, add it. If you add it, then you can work your way down the coast of Maine on your way south.

Bar Harbor is on the same island as Acadia National Park. They say ANP is the 2nd most visited national park. It has a very nice driving loop with a mountain top road (Cadillac Mt.). They claim it's the first place the sun hits on the east coast when it rises.

As you can tell, we enjoy it. We've gone almost every year for the last 25 years. We even honeymooned there.

I highly recommend coming through the White Mts. of N.H. on your way to Maine. We have beautiful mt. ranges and gorgeous scenery. Vermont and upstate New York are nice too.
Tour Master riding gear

Old 06-30-2013, 07:12 PM   #11
Sr. Contributor

I'm not sure why everyone chooses to cross Vermont on route 4 through Woodstock. I personally don't see the draw. Crossing Vermont in about an hour and half gives you no idea what the state has to offer for scenery. If you were to cross into Vt. near Middlebury
(1) a short ride north on route 7 to Burlington and a brunch or lunch to check out the waterfront and one of the more mentioned small cities in the country would be nice.
(2) a ride on route 2 to Waterbury and a short ride on route 100 north to Ben & Jerry's factory.
Turn around and return to route 2 to Montpelier and pick up route 302 east bound for New Hampshire ride on the Kancamagus Highway route 112 to North Conway maybe an overnight to check out the Outlet stores, pick up route 302 to Portland Maine.

mac lives just a few miles from North Conway, he should be a tourist destination.

I've been to Bar Harbor and the surrounding area, it is worth seeing.
If you wished to do that you could take route 2 from Burlington, Vt. all the way into Bangor, Maine. Then you could visit the area and see the sites.
You would be travelling north of the Presidential range in New Hampshire, travelling south on route 16 in Gorham would take you into North Conway past the Mt. Washington toll road. (If you are there you should DO the toll road).
There are sights to see, but so many ways to get to them. You could spend a couple of weeks trying to see everything.

I recommend the Adirondacks, the Burlington, Vt. area, route 2 east, route 302 east, route 112 east route 16 north to Conway and continue north to Gorham and onto route 2 east again OR back to route 302 east for scenery, you can go to Bar Harbor or Portland they are both great areas.
You should be able to go from the Adirondacks through Vt., N.H. and Maine in a couple of days, depending on what you want to see and do.

Have a great trip!

I sent you a PM.

Last edited by Loafer; 07-01-2013 at 07:05 AM.

Old 06-30-2013, 08:46 PM   #12

If you are up on 302 don't forget to stop for an ice cream in Bath, NH at At The Hop.

If you're looking for a good turkey dinner check out Hart's Turkey Farm in Meredith.

Old 07-01-2013, 12:06 AM   #13

Thanks guys, taking notes and slowly adjusting a route!

Doug Engstrom

Old 07-03-2013, 02:34 AM   #14

Based on Loafers advice I've come up with this as a route to the Coast http://binged.it/1b6MKiv Any thoughts? Also reasonable, motorcycle friendly hotel recommendations in Lake Placid, North Conway and Bar Harbour?

Next; the route south from Bar Harbour!

Doug Engstrom

Old 07-03-2013, 07:41 AM   #15
Sr. Contributor

I believe you will enjoy that ride very much.
I will mention that when you are on the 189 in So. Burlington, Vt., you have an option to get onto I89
South to Montpelier Exit 8. This will be a little faster and the scenery is just as good, as route 2 East
runs parallel the whole way from 189 to Montpelier. Up to you, but if you wanted to see the same thing a little quicker it's a good option. If you would like, I could meet you and ride with you for a while.