Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Rides/Trip Reports/Travel Information

Old 06-13-2013, 01:59 PM   #1

Thumbs Up Road trip, July 4th (my independence)

Got this inkling to take off from work (L.A.) on the 3rd of July, make it to Vegas by nightfall, head for Utah on the 4th, make my way through New Mexico on the 5th, Arizona (more northern) on the 6th, then home on the 7th. No particular reason, been wanting to make a road trip from the day I picked up my C50 in '07...life, money and other lame excuses altered my focus one way or another. Too ambitious for a first time? Any pointers? Preferred roads?

Matt

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-13-2013, 03:58 PM   #2
Mega-Contributor

I would suggest doing some 200-300 mile day rides in preparation for your big voyage. It takes a little conditioning to ride 400-500 miles per day, and it also may expose problems ahead of time so you can correct them before you hit the road. I'm talking about things like ergonomics and comfort here. If you find you can't ride 100 miles before the seat starts to make you sore, you are going to have a miserable trip. It's easier to correct things like this before you leave than when you're 500 miles from home.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 06-13-2013, 05:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack View Post
I would suggest doing some 200-300 mile day rides in preparation for your big voyage. It's easier to correct things like this before you leave than when you're 500 miles from home.
Very true, I took the coast up past Santa Barbara and back as a day trip (~300 miles) and yes, the stock seat was miserable the last hour or so.

Old 06-13-2013, 07:55 PM   #4

If you are not used to hot weather riding this could be an issue. The first Southwest Regional was way hotter than we expected in Mesquite and many of us suffered for it. My guess would be 100+ give or take in Las Vegas. Southern Utah and New Mexico is not always cool either. The last time I came through Farmington, NM it was 96 in October. I will be going back through Farmington next week and it looks like it will be mid-90s. Even Flagstaff will probably be in the 90s. You will need a lot of water to keep hydrated. CJ's comment about saddle soreness added to the heat would make it more difficult.

For a first long ride I would be inclined to say it will be too much. Then again, there are other forum members who would treat it as a walk in the park. Take the extra gear when it turns cold or rains. Too many people go out thinking it is a nice summer day and get an unpleasant surprise when the weather turns bad. Whatever you decide be prepared to abort rather than press on and have something catastrophic go wrong.
2015 Red/Blk Cross Country Tour - sold
2008 Red/Blk Nomad - sold
KE7HG
VBA 00176, IBA 65686, MOA 211564

Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Maggie Valley '11|Kanab '12|Estes Park '13|Red Lodge '16|Custer '18

Old 06-13-2013, 10:45 PM   #5

Last year did my first long trip (over 2k miles) in nearly 8 yrs. did almost 2k miles (5 x 400 miles) in practice rides to get used to being in saddle that long as well as usual short rides. 400 mile rides were tests for new gear, pegs, throttle boss, and dry run with all luggage, to see if everything handled 80-85mph highway speed. I felt much more comfortable when the departure date finally arrived.
Doing the same thing with vaquero this yr to be ready for national rally trip. Although my back has slowed my progress somewhat.
Plan ahead and enjoy the trip!!!!
VBA #2354

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-14-2013, 12:53 AM   #6

You guys make some really good points, and I'm glad I can bounce ideas out there first...I know some shorter rides will help me get a better grasp on the long stuff, and the bike is realistically a plopping way off from the touring setup I have in mind...but, I plan on keeping this one for a while, and the roads aren't going anywhere...much obliged with the info!