Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 06-11-2015, 12:35 PM   #1

New to site, New to Kawasakis

Hi Guys

New to the site and this is my first post. Recently inherited a 2002 Vulcan Nomad that has sat for 7 years under a cover outside. Shes in pretty rough shape. The first question I have about it is should there be the click of a fuel pump relay when I turn the ignition on? I suspect the fuel pump is seized up as it has sat with a half tank of gas for over 7 years, but I don't even hear a relay click. Can someone tell me if I should be able to hear the relay?
2001 Honda Interceptor (Scarlet)
2000 Suzuki TL1000R (Stella)

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by Dread; 06-11-2015 at 12:47 PM.

Old 06-11-2015, 01:42 PM   #2

Welcome.
Is the battery fully charged?
With a good battery the fuel pump will hum or whine easy to hear.

I hope you got a good deal
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 06-11-2015, 02:23 PM   #3

Like Bob said, it will hum for 3-5 seconds.

Has the fuel turned to varnish?

I would remove the tank to get the pump out, then attach power directly and go from there.

If it's varnished up, it'll be a pain but it can be cleaned.

Welcome aboard. I'm on the opposite coast.

MT
VBA 936

Old 06-11-2015, 04:48 PM   #4

Welcome, also, the ignition switch may have sticking contacts inside and keep the fuel pump from turning on. Mine did that, but i found that if I turn the key briskly in the ignition it usually made contact and I would hear the fuel pump whine for a couple seconds, then it would start.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 06-11-2015, 11:23 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies fellas!

Fresh battery for sure but no noise at all out of the fuel pump. All of my other bikes are fuel injected and im pretty handy so I was fully expecting hearing the fuel pump whine. The gas is beyond varnish and is a lot like wood stain now so I am hoping the fuel pump just needs a good vinegar bath. I will take it out and see. Anyone know if there should be a relay click? Tank also has some rust around the filler neck on the inside and I guess I am gonna take it off and clean it and cream coat it to keep me from having problems from junk in the tank later. Also, does anyone know where the fuel pump relay is located :)

Thanks for your help guys, I really appreciate it!

by the way...as far as getting a good deal, it was given to me for free. the paints still in great shape and this will be a great bike when I get it sorted out

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-12-2015, 01:59 PM   #6
Advanced Member

That would be the first thing I would do before even trying to run the bike if old gummy fuel has been in the tank for 7 years......I would pull the tank, and the pump out of the tank and completely clean both to spotlessness with some mineral spirits. Then back together, fresh fuel with a can of injector cleaner added, then start, run and ride.
Chuckster's tear drop intake, Freedom true dual racing exhaust, Ivan flash, Clearview windscreen, Corbin gunfighter seat, Clockwerk's hugger style front fender, Kawasaki KQR backrest and luggage rack, kuryakyn iso grips and rear passenger boards, front highway pegs, revolutionspeed clutch and primary covers and reservoir and switch box covers and Kuryakyn skeleton rearview mirrors.

Old 06-12-2015, 02:09 PM   #7

IMHO On bike thst has sat for 7 years outside under a cover All the fluids need to be changed b4 riding it including the oil.
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 06-13-2015, 07:05 PM   #8

Yes absolutely. The gas tank was just the first thing. all fluids, oil, filters, plugs, everything....going to freshen it well up before she moves. since all the chromes wasted, I am removing it all for a trip to the powder coaters. Its gonna be a process :)

Old 06-13-2015, 08:14 PM   #9

Powder coating is really good and plasti dip spray works good too
VBA #01084

"