Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Regional Groups > Regional Groups > SouthCentral Group

Old 08-14-2009, 03:38 PM   #1

Time to ride Arkansas

Next weekend is it. I start two weeks of sorely needed vacation time and have a free 5 days to finally do some riding in northern Arkansas. I can't wait!
Motorcycle Arkansas (http://www.motorcyclearkansas.com) has a pdf download of 6 very cool looking routes up there. Going to set up base in Harrison and spend three days just cruising around. Lots of sightseeing, hopefully lots of pictures to share with everyone, and if I'm lucky, I won't want to touch a motorcycle again for awhile (riiiight)

Anyway, if anyone's interested, here are the routes copied from the .pdf. Check out the site if you're interested in doing this ride. Lots of good info (Food, Lodging, events, etc..)

I don't know which one to do first!

Peel's Ferry Route:

Ozark Moonshine Run:

Mountain View Run:

Jasper Disaster:

Eureka Springs Backroads:

Bull Shoals Dam Route:

I think I'm going plug all of them into my GPS just wander - see where I end up.

7 Days to prep the bike...

Have I mentioned I can't wait? The only bummer is my lovely ride partner, Ann, won't be going along. :-/

"Taranis" and the Lovely Ann
KawaNOW Oldschool #885
His: 2006 Nomad
Hers: 2008 VN900 Classic LT

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-14-2009, 07:47 PM   #2

Time to ride Arkansas

State Route 9 betwen Mt. View AND melbourne is a great ride. I did it last week, also SR 341 from north on Mt. View on hwy 14 is nice also. You end up on sr 201 into Mt. Home. Take hwy 62 back to harrison. Hwy 123 between luxor (iI think) and Mt. Judea, they call it the Ar Dragon. I have not ridden it yet. I do believe Trip has pictures and a video of it on his website. Also look at the daily routes they rode on the may rally at Eureka Springs, contact Watchman, i believe he came up with them.
hope this helps

Old 08-14-2009, 10:00 PM   #3

Time to ride Arkansas

Hwy 74 E out of Jasper to 123 is a beautifull ride and can be easily added to map 2. Stop in for lunch at the Ozark cafe, in Jasper has good home cooked food. Cliff House resturant overlooks the Arkansas Grand Canyon also pretty good eatin, just south of Jasper.
VBA #628
IBA #54485

Old 08-14-2009, 10:56 PM   #4

Time to ride Arkansas

You're missin some of the best of the pig trail between Huntsville and Ozark. Maybe you'll catch that on another run.

Old 08-15-2009, 07:47 AM   #5

Time to ride Arkansas

All of those rides will get you on some great roads. Highways 65 and 62 are major truck and car routes so I would try to ride them mid day, mid week. And I think school starts next week down there so buses will be out early am and again between 3 to 4 pm. Unless you stop alot for me every ride you posted would be a 1/2 day ride so you could put some together and make it a full day. As LW said if you are in the area it would be a shame to miss hwy 23 north of Ozark with the switch backs. Also on the moonshine run, on hwy 123 south of Mt. Judea there are some really hard switch backs. Just north of Ozone on hwy 21 is the Burger Barn. A great lunch stop but be hungry because the burgers are huge! One thing, do watch out for log trucks. They have little to no respect for bikes and they think they own the roads down there. Hope you have a great time.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-15-2009, 08:00 AM   #6

Time to ride Arkansas

Wow, thanks for the suggestions everyone! It'll be hard to keep to any one route - my normal routine is to just wander the backroads that look interesting. I'll keep an eyeball out for the logging trucks (thanks for that heads-up).

Off to get oil/filter for the bike and give it a quick once over....

KawaNOW Oldschool #885

Old 08-15-2009, 05:26 PM   #7

Time to ride Arkansas

Just take 7 out of Harrison south and come on down and meet up with a few of us in Hot Springs the weekend of the 21st we would love to have you.

Old 08-18-2009, 02:00 PM   #8

Time to ride Arkansas

actually, we'll be coming up 7 from Hot Springs, on Satuday, probably around lunch or shortly thereafter! :)

KawaNOW Oldschool #885