Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 08-24-2009, 09:17 PM   #1

Lightbar and handlebar questions

I've only had my '04 Nomad for a few months and hope to get help with a few questions. The Kaw lightbar beams are still too high after adjusting as much as possible. Can a thin piece of foam be stuck to the sealed beam, forcing it too shine lower. Any other ideas? Also, I need to retighten the screws holding down the risers. Can this be done without removing the clutch and brake cylinders and throttle linkage? Thanks in advance for your help.

TL

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-24-2009, 09:52 PM   #2
Sr. Contributor

Something must be wrong, such as bent for this to be any issue. If I recall the lamp holders had a carriage bolt with a square section inside the buckets. Normally this should allow more than enough room to tip the lamps down.

First i would inspect the bar for being bent, which will determine what else might be done.

I have forgotten how the bar is attached, but seem to recall it was held by 2 bolts underthe main lamp, and centrally located on the lower A frame to the goose neck.

You may well find the bracket there is bent up and back.

I would forget the foam idea, do to heat. If you can't bend what I think is bent back down then the next option I might try is to make the slots in the lamp bucket longer with a little delicate file work, or a dremel.

As to the risers, are you talking from the bottom and the nuts there, or the top? Either way you shouldn't need to take a thing off the bars.

If i recall the bottom nuts are 14mm on a 10mm studd, and if it isn't a studd it is a bolt in a socket held from being able to turn.

If it is the allens on the top plates holding the bars down and tight, you simply tighten these 4 bolts up..

Not being sure what risers you have makes it impossible to say what torque specs should be.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 08-25-2009, 09:13 AM   #3

I don't know what your light bar is like, but the Kawi lightbar I had on my 99 Nomad was aimed too high also. After much looking the situation over, and trying different things, I put a crescent wrench adjusted as thin as would slide over the 'platform' that the lights bolt to, and bent the platform further down. I braced it with my hand the best that I could so that the torque was going into bending the platform, not ripping the mounting bolts under the headlight loose.

It was a slight enough bend that nobody would ever notice, but it got the beams back to where they needed to be.

Old 08-25-2009, 10:18 AM   #4
Sr. Contributor

If you try Dan's method pad the wrench with masking tape in more than 1 layer, or use leather.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 08-25-2009, 10:49 AM   #5
Mega-Contributor

I don't understand why you'd need to remove the lever and throttle assemblies to tighten the riser bolts, so no - you shouldn't have to do that.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-26-2009, 11:33 AM   #6

Thanks guys, I'll take a look at all you suggested.

TL