Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 08-21-2009, 10:38 PM   #16

Send a message via Skype™ to wompus
I'm moving to tha dark side.

It might take a few days after I get it to get it mounted on my rim
My buddy at the Kaw dealer will mount and balance it for me.
I have to do a wait and see to find out what clearance to the swingarm there might be.
I've been told that I need the 1600 rear rim, but that would just make the tire wider then the 1500 rim, and on the plus side, a narrower rim may make the tire a bit rounder to the road... I'm guessing.
Only time will tell!

Mike "WOMPUS' Nieznany
1999 Nomad "Fronkensteen"
Viet Nam Vet 68-69-70
KawaNOW #00577
I'm sarcastic and have a smart ass attitude. It's a natural defense against DRAMA, BULLSHIT & STUPIDITY!!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-21-2009, 11:03 PM   #17

Luke, I am your father Luke.....Come to the Dark Side...

Lasse, like said before, it is more than just a thing. On here, what you will get is only personal experience from guys who have done their homework, me included. I am not new to motorcycles, on my 43 right now. Not new to riding, half a million miles over 35 years. Taught motorcycle safety for the Air Force for five years. I have been on the road a while, and in my opinion, and please understand it is one mans opinion, it is the best ride I have ever had. Clean, smooth, responsive, and is set to outlast motorcycle tires by a factor of 3. But it is a possession that not one member on here will recommend you do. If you are even considering doing it, as said countless times before on this very site, do you OWN research. Talk to the people, look at the data, and there is a lot out there.

The reason for me personally. I had a Bridgestone on my bike with 9000 miles on it, bald in the center and severely cupped on the edges. So much so that it howled in corners like you would not believe. The previous tire had done the same thing. As just about, and I say just about, every rear tire does, 9000 mile, kaput. And quite frankly I felt I was being robbed. That a better tire could be designed to last longer, and ride better, and the tire companies where not giving that to us. The I ran into an old school biker, who had a bias ply hi side tire on the back of his old Harley, and after talking to him for about an hour on the subject, he intrigued me enough to do some research. And that research, plus talking to countless darksiders, put me over the edge and I put 500 miles or so on mine not to far back. I was nervous for 100 miles or so but that nervousness went away as I got used to the ride characteristics of the tire, and as the tire started to wear in. I can tell you for myself, I love the ride. It is exceptionally smooth, extremely responsive, and I Canad tell you how much more traction. On the side, my mc tire cost $123 for the stone. My Dunlop SP5000 195/60 16 was $145. My stone lasted 9000 miles, the SP 5000 is rated at 65,000 ON A CAR. If I can get 25,000 out of mine, i will be elated. I know there are guys reporting 20 to 25thousand miles. And lastly, it looks cool.

So there you have it from me. I love the ride. Why do they make car tires for cars and motorcycle tires for motorcycles? Who knows. Why did we say man would never fly or go to the moon, or talk to large groups of people over this thing called the INTERNET. Just because it seems weird, we live in a weird world. I think however in this case, you will find that Darksiding is safe. BUT DO NOT TAKE MY WORD FOR IT.

Old 08-22-2009, 03:29 AM   #18

Thank´s for the info. Now I have a little bit more
understanding in the issue.. Might just test a CT on the
V2k some day. The V2k is a real tire-eater. Many
of my friends only get aprox. 3000 miles(5000km) out of them.
I guess it´s because of the torque.

Old 08-22-2009, 05:37 AM   #19
Advanced Member

seriously, Lasse, do some research on the net. the delphi "darkside" forum has a wealth of info on it. i personally spent months reading everything i could get my eyes on, before i switched to a ct. i have no regrets and will never go back to a mc tire again. btw, i have roughly 6,000 miles on my ct now, and cant see thats its worn a bit.

Old 08-22-2009, 08:53 AM   #20
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadderdadder
I am thinking very hard about this also. I have a 2006 1600 Nomad and since I have the trike kit on it, sure makes sence to have a car tire on the rear. What sizes are there to choose from that will be ok without any trouble of being too wide? If I am correct a 195/60r/16 is over 7.5 inches wide! Any info on that will help.

What is on the wheels you have now? Every trike I ever saw had car tires on the rear axels in the first place!

You have a mustang rear end don't you? You have rims for car tires don't you?

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-22-2009, 09:12 AM   #21
Sr. Contributor

Lasse, Yer gonna be busy finding a CT with white walls on both sides

If you can live with that, then a ct might be for you.

My Dunlop Sport SP 5000 on 195/60 R 16 eats apx 2 MPGS, but because there is more traction.

It handles better in tight corners, feeling more stable, It breaks faster, and if it didn't I don't think I would be typing this in the first place. It just plain does everything a mc tire can but better.

I don't notice tar snakes, cheese grader wire bridges, wooden deck covered bridges, and even road grind to be as unstable as the mc tires makes these.

It doesn't whine on corners, and it don't ping rocks off to the side.

I have run this since Spring 08, orginally as a test.

The bike is a 06 1600 Nomad.

My oem brick was dead at 7,000 miles but it was getting late in my New Hampshire season, and I ride a bad tire another 2,000 miles. That tire is more slick than tire adding the last 2000 miles.

This spring I installed another Dunlop on the ft in a stock size, which I believe is the same for the VN 2000 This is the 251F radial.

This is a great match imo.... The oem brick on ft had 13,000 and was cupped baddly.

The improvements for the ft tire is a real feel of better rolling, and no pinging rocks off my 1/2 drive way.

Some people comment on my lean angels and I just tell em a car Tire can't turn at all I have needed to replace the skids under the floor board twice now..

Break in is about the same, getting used to the new feeling takes a little time. maybe 2 weeks. I was waiting for the lean unstabilty to return, that wobble a Nomad does in a tighter turn in a mountain road, where it runs off the line..

No more of that!

At first it was a cost factor, but now it is just a better tire to me... One that will last more than one season.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 08-22-2009, 09:45 AM   #22
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge

Lasse, that V2K is just BEGGIN' for a car tire. They are known to eat MT for breakfast! Almost all the V2K owners swear by a CT now! Some claim to have so much better traction that they can lift the front tire several feet into the air ( not that you'd do that right? )

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 08-22-2009, 11:08 AM   #23

Quote:
they can lift the front tire several feet into the air
I just must get me a CT..
The nomad will be rolling on BT, because of the WW. But
I don´t have the milage-problem whith that. I get aprox
8000 miles before it´s time to replace.

Old 08-22-2009, 04:03 PM   #24

Mac, my trike is not a true trike. It has a kit that is bolted on. It can be taken off in about 5 minutes if you want to go 2 wheeling again. I have 3 tires across the back. Two outrigger tires that are 12 inch. I was told on here that I definitely need a CT, which I agree with.

Old 08-22-2009, 04:29 PM   #25
Sr. Contributor

I have never seen that type of kit before. Are both side wheels in contact with the the ground at all times?

And yeah you sure would be better off with a ct if the regular wheel is powering every thing.

Tell me how these side wheels work. How much support are they to the bike?

On a regular trike they hold all the rear end weight and then some.

Your set up must have a central pivot or some other way of support because you other wise would get stuck with the drive wheel highsided some place...

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 08-22-2009, 07:16 PM   #26
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge

I thought the same thing mac. If he slowed to a stop on a road that had a depressing in the center his rear drive tire would be off the ground??

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 08-22-2009, 07:32 PM   #27

Mac and Blowndodge, the outrigger wheels are in contact with the ground at all times-torsion bar on each wheel. They each can be adjusted up and down for down force on the ground. The only time one wheel will come off the ground is when you go around a corner too sharp. But you don't really know it is doing it. Yes I could actually get in a spot with no traction. You can go to www.tow-pacinc.com and see how they work. Voyager also makes a trike kit and it uses 14 inch car tires. But you loose ground clearence the way it hooks up. I have this up to 80 and no problems. This kit hooks up at 3 points with no alterations to the bike.

Old 08-23-2009, 11:10 AM   #28
Sr. Contributor

Ok so there is a minimal ground contact, and it is adjustable. In the right, err wrong circumstances you could park over a pot hole and leave the driving wheel hanging....

I did that once in a 1 wheel drive car... Both real wheels hanging going over a brook to a shooting range of mine, no range at all but a field in the National Forest. I drove slowly and ended up setting the rear bumper on the brook bank, and that let the rear wheels just hang

Yeah you can install what amounts to stock size 195/60 R 16 Ct and run with that.

I paid 113 for my Dunlop Sp 5000, which is getting dropped soon, so get one quick if you want one. i am sorry to see it go, but won't need a new rear for a long time to come.

Something else will be out then and if not I will find some other brand..

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac