Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Free Classifieds > Parts & Accessories

Old 10-05-2008, 09:11 PM   #1

Backpack / Messenger Bag / ???

So, even with the saddle bags, I am pretty much storage constrained ... 1 side of the saddle bags is always full with just my rain suit, which only leaves 1 bag left.

What do most people use to haul "stuff" around? I need to find a solution for bringing my laptop and stuff with me, as well as more generic "stuff" on occasion (like small grocery trips, etc).

I thought about a luggage rack, but that's a pretty small rack. :(

Here's a bag that I was looking at online from the bike (non-motored) world:

http://www.chromebags.com/products/bags/show/42/

But it's not all that general purpose. What I *do* like about it is the "seat belt" latch that lets you strap the bag on w/o having to throw a loop over your head (helmet) and arms/shoulders (bulky jacket).

Anyone got any other suggestions?

Thanks!
Sam

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-05-2008, 10:06 PM   #2

Welcome Sam. The two bags seem to be enough my day-to-day needs. A backpack is a good way to supplement that. For trips of up to several days, my wife and I manage to get by with just the addition of small trunk that straps onto the backrest and sets on a small luggage rack. Don't have room to pack the protective gear that we wear the entire time: boots, jackets, chaps, etc.

Old 10-05-2008, 10:49 PM   #3
Mega-Contributor

Here's what I did:

I need to haul my laptop to/from work. I used a backpack until I got the rider backrest, and then that put a stop to that. Then I was bungeeing it to my passenger backrest. I didn't like the looks of that, so I added the trunk to carry all the miscellaneous stuff in my side bags, so I have one side bag that I use for my laptop and case. It pretty much fills the bag, but it fits nicely. I feel better knowing the laptop is safe and secure in the side bag. I can also use the trunk to store my helmet.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 10-05-2008, 11:01 PM   #4

That must be one large rainsuit! :) I have a glorified backpack that my PO purchased that has a flap that slides over the passenger backrest, and slings to tie it down with (funny, it doesn't have shoulder straps). It folds up nicely and sits in the saddlebag and, when I need it, I can pull it out, fill it up and put it on the bike. It's made by "Rev Pack", and here is a link for you to check out:

http://revpack.com/motorcycle/main.html

The specific one I have is the "Rest Pack":

http://revpack.com/motorcycle/products/RestPack.html

I hope that helps. I guess that just because it's made for a bike, they have to overcharge.
Rich

Old 10-06-2008, 06:56 AM   #5

Get yourself a trunk like myself and Catusjack and many othershave you will love it.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-06-2008, 08:33 AM   #6

Howdy Sam,

I gave serious consideration to a trunk, but use the bike as a daily rider in addition to long hauls. Looked around @ what some of my riding buds here are doing and after some time and thought, I decided on the T-Bags. I went with the rolling bag and pop up handle and round day bag. You can get them as a set with cargo net for mounting the little one on top of the big one.

Also has a very good rain cover and built in storage for same. I know it is good from 1st hand experience. The bags are fairly easy on and easy off, and your choice of large or small or both. I tend to leave the small one on for daily stuff. Works pretty well for most things I do after work.For a lap top the large one would probably be best. Easy access and lots of space.

Talk to the people around you and see how they solve their carry needs. You'll get a better idea about what's going to work for you. Good luck.

Old 10-10-2008, 03:38 PM   #7
Advanced Member

All you need is a bunji cord or a bungi net. this the bag i use on my bike. Works really well

Old 10-10-2008, 04:25 PM   #8
Mega-Contributor

Haha, I laugh every time I see that picture of the flat screen tv strapped on the bike.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 10-11-2008, 08:44 AM   #9

I also have a trunk installed, its really handy for quick trips to the store and going to work. I can easily fit two full face helmets inside. You must have a huge rainsuit to take up one sidebag, my rainsuit rolls up about the size of a two litre bottle of soda.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951