Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Free Classifieds > Parts & Accessories

Old 10-24-2008, 01:03 PM   #1

motorcycle lift for your RV

If anyone is considering a motorcycle lift for your RV, mainly a fifth wheel, I would be happy to discuss some of the in's and out's there. I just successfully insstalled one on my Montana and maybe can answer some questions if you have any. I bought a lift from Joeylift. I am not real happy with the attitude of the owner and the first welder but realized a happy ending after all was said and done. I may be able to save whoever may be interested some frustration.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-24-2008, 03:11 PM   #2
Advanced Member

Do you put your Nomad on the back of the Montana? Have you towed the trailer w/ the motorcycle mounted? I have a 35' Sandpiper. I thought about a rack for the Nomad, but I'm thinking the 10" frame rails are too thin to support a 800lb M/C. Not taking into account on how the added weight on the rear of the fifth wheel will affect towing the trailer.

Old 10-24-2008, 04:07 PM   #3
Top Contributor

Nomads are meant to ride guys not tow??

Old 10-25-2008, 12:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc (Lonewolf)
Nomads are meant to ride guys not tow??
Yes they are,but when you want to get everything from point A to point B in one trip you have to make adjustments.
I have a tag along so I can put mine in the bed of the truck.

Old 10-26-2008, 08:19 AM   #5

I intend on taking the bike with me yes, and on the rear. The 10" I beams are pretty strong. Anyway, not intending to fill the fresh water holding tank which will save tons of weight, but also with the Montana loaded, there should be enough weight forward to counter the rear weight..It is correct though that I must get the bike from point A to B. Not all (only 30 states) states will allow you to pull another trailer behind the fifth wheel, so here we go..

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-26-2008, 08:47 AM   #6

Actually we will be living in the Montana going from summer spot to winter spot, with the site seeing in between the two. The actual key to the lift is the hitch, and if it isn't done right I think there could be some problems..This entails finding a reliable welder to do the job. The actual weight with the bike, the lift and the hiitch is probably closer to 1000 lbs.. soooo. Anyway, if you are thinking of this as an option, I can give you some key points and ideas.

Old 10-26-2008, 03:12 PM   #7
Advanced Member

So let me get this straight, you are towing the bike on a trailer behind your Montana. Double trailers. I thought the bike was going to be mounted on rails to the rear bumper of the 5th wheel.

I have a hitch on the rear of my Sandpiper now & do tow 2 jet skis behind the 5th wheel. I modifyed a reciever to fit between the frame rails, using four 1/2" bolts to each frame rail, then welded additional braces to where the bumper is mounted.

In order to tow my bike I need to get a trailer shorter than what I have now to stay inside the length laws.

You do know, you have to have a Commercial Drivers License w/ doubles-triples endorsement to tow doubles....-Rich

Old 10-27-2008, 04:49 AM   #8

No, this is not a trailer. This is a hitch mount lift. It does not touch the ground.

There has been discussion on the laws regarding towing. There are some thirty states that permit it. Even if the state doesn't, if you stay on federal highways/roadways you are supposedly safe from prosecution. The length thing even varies as well as the requirement for a commercial license. This is why I went with the lift, sold my mc trailer and all, and will be getting on with it..

That is why the hitch is the key here. The lift alone weighs 250 lbs and there has got to be 50 or more in the hitch welded to the fifth wheel frame. If interested I will send a photo or two..

Old 10-27-2008, 10:05 AM   #9

I would like see photos when you get it finished and setup.
If you don't already have them I would suggest that you install a set of wheels on the rear of your camper to make sure the hitch would never touch the ground(ie:going from level ground to steep incline) because of the increased overhang behind the axles.

Old 10-27-2008, 10:58 AM   #10

Give me an e mail addy and I will send you some..

Old 10-27-2008, 03:55 PM   #11

rick.slayton@yahoo.com

I thought it was visible.I guess I need to change that.