Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Free Classifieds > Parts & Accessories

Old 10-02-2008, 10:59 AM   #1

Streetglo Reflective Tape Issue

We discussed 3M reflective black tape from Streetglo a while back. Some said it looked silver other said it was black.

I can see why some said silver....if the sun hits it just right it does look a little silver bust most of the time it is black.

I do have an issue with its refectivity. In the dark if I hit it with light from well above.... it lights up just fine...nice and bright. But if the light source (headlight) hits it from straight on (most likely) or from below it does not reflect. It won't do me much good if the light source has to be from well above it...by then I will be under the car!

I had a buddy follow me from behind on his bike but he said it did not light up...so I ran my own primative test.

If anyone has this stuff can you tell me if yours is the same.

Maybe I just need to put more tape on so it gets hit from all angles. Right now I have single strips on the verticle bars between the bags, one on the bar under the rear fender, a few singles on the frame.
VBA #659
2003 Nomad 1500 (Gone but never forgotten)
2005 Honda ST1300 - Sweet and still kickin
2006 Honda Goldwing - Best Boat in the Marina

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-02-2008, 11:51 AM   #2

I could be way off, but I wonder if it has a top and bottom, and I just happened to get it right?

Here is a picture of mine just standing to the side

And when I pull into my parking garage, the bike is on the side stand leaned away from my car as I pull in (Angle therefore puts the headlights not coming from above as much) and all of mine light up great even though there is some dim lighting in the garage, not completely dark.

So mine completely back outside, and lights up great in the dark.

Cactus, do you remember when we went on the short night ride in Mesquite if mine was lighting up good?

Old 10-02-2008, 12:36 PM   #3
Mega-Contributor

I was going to suggest that perhaps the reflectivity was directional with the tape as well.

Sorry, Dan...don't really remember the tape on your bike.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 10-02-2008, 12:36 PM   #4

I guess my top and bottom idea can't be right, I just saw my post and noticed it has vertical tape

Old 10-03-2008, 06:31 PM   #5

Thanks Dan,

I thought about that too (directional). I think I will put a couple more strips on and make sure thay are in opposite directions and see what happens. I did notice you do have horizontal tape near the side covers but on the side stand it looks like the lght source is coming from above...not straight on....kind of like my "test". I will let you know the results after I play around with it a little.

It would be nice to get it right because when the light hits the tape right it really does light up nicely.
VBA #659
2003 Nomad 1500 (Gone but never forgotten)
2005 Honda ST1300 - Sweet and still kickin
2006 Honda Goldwing - Best Boat in the Marina

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-05-2008, 12:00 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoeney
Thanks Dan,

I thought about that too (directional). I think I will put a couple more strips on and make sure thay are in opposite directions and see what happens. I did notice you do have horizontal tape near the side covers but on the side stand it looks like the lght source is coming from above...not straight on....kind of like my "test". I will let you know the results after I play around with it a little.

It would be nice to get it right because when the light hits the tape right it really does light up nicely.
On the photo I'm standing on the down side and the camera flash is lighting it up. I'm always pulling my car in from the other side, so lower light source (low sitting sports car) and aimed at the high side of the bike, it still lights up nicely on that side too.

Old 10-05-2008, 07:30 PM   #7

Mine does reflect well but still not BLACK ,either light black or dark silver LOL but NOT BLACK,,, They work so thats ok,, BUT customer service from Street Glow sucks Monkey Nuts.THEY never replied when I had questions about the color,,(4 times) BUT when I was BUYING they responded right away....IMO I wont buy from them again because of that...but it could be worse,, the tape could reflect my face and thats not cool LOL.........Rich