Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Old 10-19-2008, 06:43 PM   #16

!@#$% VIRUS!

I had the same virus a few weeks ago, I went on my daughters computer looked up the fix on you tube, tried it on my computer, and it worked. there is also a sight called malwarebytes that seems to fix it also. its a free download.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-19-2008, 07:46 PM   #17

!@#$% VIRUS!

The thing is most of those Malware and virus infections change your Hosts file which blocks access to most ativirus and spyware removal websites. Try to download and run SuperAnti Spyware from here: http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/index...ds&showfile=24 It has really helped me through some tough cases. If you hang around the forum there they will help you get rid of all the junk infecting your computer also.

Old 10-19-2008, 08:16 PM   #18
Mega-Contributor

!@#$% VIRUS!

Thanks for your help and advice, folks. Nothing I tried worked. Even if I did a system restore to several days ago, it was there. I tried safe mode and couldn't run my antivirus stuff. I tried using the new Google chrome browser to get to antivirus websites and was blocked. On a number of known good websites, such as norton.com, I'd get redirected to some bogus webpage. After messing with this for several hours last night and a few more today, I decided to cut my losses and reinstall XP. All the files, data, etc was safely stored on an external hard drive, so it's just going to be putting things back the way they were. Fortunately, I also have my laptop (which I'm using to post this), so I'm not dead in the water.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 10-19-2008, 08:28 PM   #19
Top Contributor

!@#$% VIRUS!

Geez CJ, sounds like you picked up an AIDS virus for computers. The only way to cure it is to kill the computer. ;)
VBA 213
VROC 16913

Custer 09: Cortez 10: Crescent City 11: Kanab 12: Estes Park 13: Tahoe 14: Red Lodge 16

Old 10-19-2008, 09:21 PM   #20

!@#$% VIRUS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman
Geez CJ, sounds like you picked up an AIDS virus for computers. The only way to cure it is to kill the computer. ;)

Audiogooroo - Daryl Porter
Colorado Springs, CO
VBA #248
VROC #17261
1999 Grn/Grn Nomad

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-20-2008, 09:03 AM   #21

!@#$% VIRUS!

Cactus, I've only had to reinstall windows once when I had my system rebuilt faster. It was a huge pain. All my file folders came back, but not all of my programs.

Reinstalling all of the cd's that I had was a pain, but all the programs that I got for free off the net that I liked, I couldn't even remember what they were and where I got them. I remember one of them made my photos come up in a different way when I clicked on them; I could resize them just by right clicking on them. Now I have to bring them up in photo shop to resize them, and that's a pain compared to just right clicking. Don't remember where I got it though.

There was similar programs that I liked using, but couldn't remember where I got them. Last week I bought an external hard drive to back things up on, but it just gets the things in my documents etc. Do you have a way to back up the whole damn thing? All the programs and everything so that you can just transfer everything back and have it all like it was before? The program that came with my external hard drive (seagate freeagent) won't let me do such a thing.

Old 10-20-2008, 11:35 AM   #22

!@#$% VIRUS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnomad
The thing is most of those Malware and virus infections change your Hosts file which blocks access to most ativirus and spyware removal websites. Try to download and run SuperAnti Spyware from here: http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/index...ds&showfile=24 It has really helped me through some tough cases. If you hang around the forum there they will help you get rid of all the junk infecting your computer also.
gnomad, THANK YOU for sharing this site. Ran it and got rid of the last remnants of the bug I had. GREAT free software for removal of unwanteds.

Old 10-20-2008, 11:47 AM   #23
Mega-Contributor

!@#$% VIRUS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Lund
Cactus, I've only had to reinstall windows once when I had my system rebuilt faster. It was a huge pain. All my file folders came back, but not all of my programs.

Reinstalling all of the cd's that I had was a pain, but all the programs that I got for free off the net that I liked, I couldn't even remember what they were and where I got them. I remember one of them made my photos come up in a different way when I clicked on them; I could resize them just by right clicking on them. Now I have to bring them up in photo shop to resize them, and that's a pain compared to just right clicking. Don't remember where I got it though.

There was similar programs that I liked using, but couldn't remember where I got them. Last week I bought an external hard drive to back things up on, but it just gets the things in my documents etc. Do you have a way to back up the whole damn thing? All the programs and everything so that you can just transfer everything back and have it all like it was before? The program that came with my external hard drive (seagate freeagent) won't let me do such a thing.
It's not easy to make a backup copy of a complete running system because you have a number of open files that usually you can't copy. I'm sure there must be some tool that allows you to do this, but I am not aware of it.

The only problem I have now is finding and loading the right drivers for my wireless network adapter, video card, and sound card. Once I have those, my system will be fully functional again and I can start reinstalling my programs.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 10-20-2008, 11:49 AM   #24

!@#$% VIRUS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack
Quote:

It's not easy to make a backup copy of a complete running system because you have a number of open files that usually you can't copy. I'm sure there must be some tool that allows you to do this, but I am not aware of it.

The only problem I have now is finding and loading the right drivers for my wireless network adapter, video card, and sound card. Once I have those, my system will be fully functional again and I can start reinstalling my programs.
Glad you got it under control. Just stinks that some people have nothing better to do than mess with other peoples lives. ::)

Old 10-21-2008, 09:36 AM   #25
Mega-Contributor

!@#$% VIRUS!

It was a PITA getting my wireless ethernet card working working. I couldn't locate the CD with the drivers on it. Once I found the right drivers using my laptop, burned them onto a CD and then transferred them to my Dell PC, I started making real progress. Dell's support website asks you for your service tag #, attached to every Dell system and when you enter it, it knows what drivers you need. I was able to easily get all the drivers for my DVD drives, audio, video, modem, internal ethernet adapter, and many other things.

I have my system restored to the point where I can work from home. I still have some apps to install and data to move, but the worst of it is behind me now.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

Old 10-21-2008, 09:59 AM   #26
VBA Founder

!@#$% VIRUS!

Just now getting into this thread CJ....sorry to hear about your plight.

I had this same thing happen to me several years ago. My solution was to backup my data, then reformat and reinstall the OS. But, after I got everything reinstalled and running correctly, I also installed Microsoft's Virtual PC.

I now run separate sessions of Windows on my PC...one for surfing the net, one for email, all virtual. Each session is saved on my HD and can be backed up. If one of them get's infected, I just close it down (not saving anything) and bring it back up.

This is a technique I learned from a MS training instructor while I was training on SQL. Seems to work for me. Also saves you from having to buy and install virus checkers and cleaners.

The only drawback (if there is one) is in order to pass files from one session to another, you have to create a mapped drive and share it to all the sessions.

MS Virtual PC is free.
Trip's Website

Custer 09, 18 / Maggie Valley 11 / Eureka Springs 09, 17 / Antlers 09, 10, 11, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18
Texas Hill Country / Deals Gap / Colorado / Wyoming / Montana / Utah / More trips for Trip

Old 10-21-2008, 10:16 AM   #27

!@#$% VIRUS!

Quote:

Dell's support website asks you for your service tag #, attached to every Dell system and when you enter it, it knows what drivers you need. I was able to easily get all the drivers for my DVD drives, audio, video, modem, internal ethernet adapter, and many other things.

Ahh.....You too have spoken with Achmed, who says "hello, my name is peter".......

Old 10-21-2008, 11:38 AM   #28

!@#$% VIRUS!

Quote:
Quote:

Dell's support website asks you for your service tag #, attached to every Dell system and when you enter it, it knows what drivers you need. I was able to easily get all the drivers for my DVD drives, audio, video, modem, internal ethernet adapter, and many other things.

Ahh.....You too have spoken with Achmed, who says "hello, my name is peter".......

Old 10-21-2008, 12:16 PM   #29

Send a message via MSN to scion0
!@#$% VIRUS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip
Just now getting into this thread CJ....sorry to hear about your plight.

I had this same thing happen to me several years ago. My solution was to backup my data, then reformat and reinstall the OS. But, after I got everything reinstalled and running correctly, I also installed Microsoft's Virtual PC.

I now run separate sessions of Windows on my PC...one for surfing the net, one for email, all virtual. Each session is saved on my HD and can be backed up. If one of them get's infected, I just close it down (not saving anything) and bring it back up.

This is a technique I learned from a MS training instructor while I was training on SQL. Seems to work for me. Also saves you from having to buy and install virus checkers and cleaners.

The only drawback (if there is one) is in order to pass files from one session to another, you have to create a mapped drive and share it to all the sessions.

MS Virtual PC is free.
Sounds interesting. I may just have to give that a try on a spare PC I have sitting around.

Mike
"Scion0"
VBA#: 0097
Former VBA North Central Asst Regional Leader
St Jude Rides Peoria to Memphis Rider
Retired MSgt, USAF (1979 -99)
"Don't sweat the small stuff, and it's all small stuff!"
Current ride: 2012 H-D Ultra FLHTCU (Black)
Past ride: 2007 Black Nomad

Old 10-21-2008, 12:32 PM   #30
Mega-Contributor

!@#$% VIRUS!

Quote:
Quote:

Nope. Took care of it online. I avoid tech support whenever possible.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060