Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 01-10-2018, 02:22 PM   #1

charging battery

Is their any reason not to charge the battery while still in the bike and hooked up? 2007 nomad 1600 if that makes a difference.
I have a tender on it and i noticed the light stayed red for a couple of days so i tried starting it and it was dead. Hum that's a new battery installed in July. So took the seats of and everything looks fine and when i put the tender back on it seamed like the red light was a lot brighter than before, that was 2 days ago. Yesterday the light was green and it seamed a little odd that a trickle charge will bring it back in one day. Today i tried starting it and definitely has more juice than the other day but not enough to start it so now I'm impatient and thinking of just putting a regular charger on it used for automobiles.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-10-2018, 03:59 PM   #2
Advanced Member

For a bike, it should be a 2 amp charger. The big charger (bigger than the battery tender) I have has a 2 amp setting. Using the car amp setting could damage the battery.

As far as it being hooked up, as long as there's nothing drawing the current to make it die to begin with, it should be ok.
PCV (removed)
Ivan's ECU flash

Old 01-10-2018, 05:29 PM   #3

I have a permanent pigtail with a 5A fuse on mine I plug the tender into. The bike is stored away now for winter, battery still in it hooked up to the tender.
I have an ammeter and voltmeter hooked up to my tender, voltage is at 13.83, amperage is at 0.0 with the rare flick up to 0.1 for a second then drops back down to 0.0 ...........Mike

Old 01-10-2018, 05:39 PM   #4

Yes you can charge the battery in the bike,. I've done it for years,
You could have a defective battery even though it's pretty new. You could have a defective charger too.

Do you have any accessories on the bike that could be putting a drain on the battery?

I would disconnect the cables on the battery and try charging it again. If still a problem take the battery to Auto Zone or a similar auto parts store and have it load tested. This will tell you if the battery is good.
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 01-10-2018, 05:52 PM   #5

I also have a Battery Tender pigtail permanently attached to the bike & keep the tender hooked up to battery year round - I've done this on all of my bikes for years.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-10-2018, 09:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by recumbentbob View Post
Yes you can charge the battery in the bike,. I've done it for years,
You could have a defective battery even though it's pretty new. You could have a defective charger too.

Do you have any accessories on the bike that could be putting a drain on the battery?

I would disconnect the cables on the battery and try charging it again. If still a problem take the battery to Auto Zone or a similar auto parts store and have it load tested. This will tell you if the battery is good.
I agree with all of this.

In case you are not aware, the order of connecting the tender to the battery and plugging the tender is important. Make sure you do it in the order specified by the mfg. Most specify connecting the battery first then plugging in the tender.

Old 01-10-2018, 08:00 PM   #7

I'll take a better look at my charger tomorrow i believe it has a setting that reduces the charge as the battery gets fully charged it's been some years since i used it. If memory serves my right it has settings for maintenance free, automatic, and just out right charging till i shut it off. I also have the pigtail on the bike for the tender and it served me well for about 10 years so maybe your on to something and it might be the tender. It's been really really cold here and maybe that has something to do with it also. I'll learn more in the next few days.

Old 01-10-2018, 10:23 PM   #8

I had a tender boil the acid out of my battery, it was a .75 amp tender, something went bad, and it overcharged and ruined a battery

Old 01-11-2018, 08:30 AM   #9

I did some searching around the internet and found a very good article written by the Yussa battery co. http://www.yuasabatteries.com/motor_battery.php Keeping the charger amps down is very important as suggested in the reply's and i think I'll end up taking the battery out and charging it on the tender then having a load test performed from the dealer that installed it in July. If it fails the load test it should be replaced on their dime. If it passes the load test then i start looking for shorts and that's no fun.

Old 01-11-2018, 08:46 AM   #10
Advanced Member

I use a battery tender plus, 1.25 amp

Old 01-11-2018, 07:06 PM   #11

I have my tender mounted inside my bag....have a covered receptical mounted on the exterior of bag. All I need is my 15' extension cord to plug into

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
1500 Meanie, fresh rebuild (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
2001 UltraCycle FatPounder (Sold)
1975 HD ElectraGlide (Sold)
1982 Kawasaki Z1 Chopper (Sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Last edited by DragonLady58; 01-11-2018 at 07:09 PM.

Old 01-12-2018, 08:10 AM   #12
Advanced Member

Thumbs Up Please post Pic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonLady58 View Post
I have my tender mounted inside my bag....have a covered receptical mounted on the exterior of bag. All I need is my 15' extension cord to plug into

Could you post a pic of the way you have your tender installed? The plug too!

Rhys

Rhys Westmoreland
VBA# 01622 (Kawanow)

1969 Suzuki 250
1973 Honda CB750 K3 (Sold Dec 11, 2011)
2003 1500 Nomad FI "REBA"
PC III Commander (Died April 2011)
PC III Commander (Installed new one April 2016)
Vance and Hines, Mustang Seat
BadBoy Air Horn
Front LED Fog Lights

2011 Maggie Valley,NC
2014 NE US/Eastern Canada Rally,Lincoln NH

Old 01-12-2018, 12:13 AM   #13

I think everyone here is probably aware that a battery tender (a.k.a. a float charger or battery maintainer) is not the same thing as a battery charger or trickle charger. But for anyone who might be confused over the differences...

Battery maintainers tend to charge very slowly, if needed, and stop charging when the battery does not need it. They are intended to, well, maintain a battery over long the long run, whether or not the battery is in regular use or in storage.

A trickle charger constantly charges the battery, but at a very low current. They can be left on for days without harming the battery because of the low current they provide, but should not be left connected long term.

Of course, a full blown fast battery charger should be removed as quickly as possible after a battery has reached full charge.

Not that anyone will quit calling any brand battery maintainer a "battery tender", it is like calling any brand of bulldozer a CAT, or any photocopy a Xerox. "Battery Tender" is the trademark Deltran (or Deltona Transformer Corp.).

Old 01-12-2018, 10:59 AM   #14

Not to be an arse, but I just ride my bike to charge battery. If it will sit for more a few days, I unplug anything that would drain battery and crank it every other day or so until I get to ride again. One of the reasons I live in Florida.

Old 01-12-2018, 02:11 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldhthept View Post
Not to be an arse, but I just ride my bike to charge battery. If it will sit for more a few days, I unplug anything that would drain battery and crank it every other day or so until I get to ride again. One of the reasons I live in Florida.
That's as good as using a tender, maybe even better, providing you don't make a lot of short, relatively slow rides (for example, to the grocery store a few blocks away) and park it for the night before the battery can recharge after cranking twice.