Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Old 08-11-2019, 07:46 AM   #1

Thumbs Up Good Samaritan

Greetings All,

Was riding the new-to-me Victory Vision yesterday. The bride and I were on our way down to see the oldest daughter and the grand-babies! It was a beautiful day. Temps were good, wispy little clouds dotted the sky.

Three hours into our four-hour journey we’re cruising along a county road in rural Iowa. The County Roads department been putting in new culverts. Gravel patches every few hundred yards or so. The smooth middle, between the lanes, where the gravel was untouched. I, in my infinite wisdom said to myself. "Ahh, shoot that strip of virgin gravel between the lanes, where it's still flush with the surrounding asphalt. That'll be the smoothest." On the final gravel patch as we approached, there was a shadow at the end of the gravel section. Upon arrival, that shadow was a large void of gravel, revealing a large pot-hole. Too late, I was lined up, at speed, on gravel and hit that pot-hole dead-center. The impact shook the whole machine and lifted my arse out of the seat. My bride swears she saw my butt above the trunk of the Vision. Immediately after regaining my composure and correcting the line of travel, I thought: “Wow, that hurt.” Then the feedback from the front end told me IT HAD HURT.

We traveled the 2/10th’s of a mile into a little town and stopped. Upon inspection, sure enough, a bent front rim and a tire quickly loosing air. We spent the next hour calling the INSURANCE TOW SERVICE, and local towing services, trying to get the bike taken to ANY motorcycle dealership. It happened that there was an INDIAN/VICTORY dealership 20 miles behind us and they would be open until 3 PM. No wreckers available. The dealership’s truck and trailer were already out on a delivery and would not be back in time. More calls to more wreckers, dealerships.

Have the picture? Two bikes in the middle of a small, all-but-deserted township. Crappy cell service and 2 hours before the bikes needs to be somewhere else, anywhere else… A guy pulling a flat bed goose-neck trailer rolls through town. There is a plow strapped on the front of the otherwise empty flat bed. Conversation ensues and Jerry says: “Let’s load it up, I’ll take you there. Bought my Cross Country Tour from those guys last year, I know exactly where they are.” We manage to load the 900 lb behemoth onto his flat bed. Yes, he even has four suitable ratchet straps in the tool box of the truck and off we go.
Jerry is a retired State Highway Patrolman and now farms for fun. We chat as he drives towing my bent rimmed Vision to the dealership. My wonderful wife following behind on her ride, watching the Vision on Jerry’s trailer. When we arrive at the dealership and get the bike unloaded using the dealerships REAL RAMPS, I ask Jerry if I can have his address to send him a thank you card. He smiles and says; “No.” He adds, “Just helping out a person in need is good enough for me.” We offer and try to reward him for his time, efforts and the inconvenience we have caused him. He continually and graciously declines our efforts. The best we managed were profuse “thank you’s” and hand-shakes.

I too have stopped and helped people out on the side of the road. Never to the extent of what Jerry did for us. However, yesterday’s experience reminds me to appreciate those people who will give up their time to help others. We come together in disasters; Katrina, 9-11, for sure. But helping another human out in less massive events also means a lot. A heartfelt THANK YOU to Jerry. And a promise to myself to be so gracious when opportunity presents itself to me.

Ride safe,
Smokier
2012 Victory Crossroads in Sunset Red "Ruby"

Previous Vulcans: '15 Vaquero, '12 Vaquero, '10 1700 Nomad, '04 1500 Classic, '01 1500 Classic, '88 Vulcan 750
VROC # 10967 | VBA # 3115

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by smokier; 08-11-2019 at 07:58 AM.

Old 08-11-2019, 09:27 AM   #2

Jim, first off glad the outcome of road hazard was limited to bike damage. It sucks, but glad you rode it out safely. Same situation on my county road by my house and usually lots of bike traffic on weekends. They finally paved culvert gravel patches Thursday and all is safe and well again! Tv and media generally only expose the bad in people, but always refreshing to hear that the good people are still out there!! It's proof positive of the good in the world still! Hope bike is all good! Enjoy your new ride!
Mike
Racnray's throttle mod
Kuryakyn trunk rack
Kuryakyn longhorn offset hiway pegs
Grasshopper riders back rest

Old 08-15-2019, 05:38 PM   #3

Greetings Mike,

Thanks, and yes I am thankful for Jerry and the fact that only the bike took a little damage.

Ride safe,
Smokier

Previous Vulcans: '15 Vaquero, '12 Vaquero, '10 1700 Nomad, '04 1500 Classic, '01 1500 Classic, '88 Vulcan 750

Old 08-15-2019, 07:12 PM   #4

Glad to hear that you are okay. We ran into a road like that last week but luckily the gravel hadn't displaced like the situation you had.

It's also great to see that there are people willing to help now days. I remember riding my Suzuki GS650 300 miles back to SIU in the mid 80's when a car told me that my tail light was falling off. Stopped at a convenient store in the middle of nowhere (on a Sunday) hoping that maybe they had some type of hardware. They did not but a customer overheard and took me to his garage a block away. He sold me what I needed and helped me get the tail light back on.

I try to remember the courtesy that man provided and pass it forward.
Auxillary Lights
Kuryakyn Longhorn Highway Pegs
Mustang Seat

VBA #: 3681

Old 08-16-2019, 02:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Steelers View Post
<SNIP>

I try to remember the courtesy that man provided and pass it forward.
Greetings, Glad that worked out for you. What you said above is again front of mind for me...

Ride safe,
Smokier

Login or Register to Remove Ads