Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 12-06-2014, 02:17 PM   #1

Intermitent headlight problem

Hi All
Having a problem with the headlight on my 2012 Voyager. I posted on here a few months ago about a problem I was having with my headlight that I thought was related to wiring a GPS in (as it seem to start around the same time). I changed the GPS wiring and it would seem it is not related to the headlight. The problem is that sometimes when I start the bike, the headlight does not come on. If I turn the key off and back on and then restart the headlight comes on. Sometimes I have to do this two or three times. I can tell when the headlight comes on by the high beam indicator. If the headlight does not come on, neither does the indicator. I just lived with it for the last while before putting the bike away for the winter, but would like to figure it out for the spring.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-06-2014, 03:38 PM   #2

My 02 Nomad will cut the headlight off..during the engagement of the starter...then kicks the headlight back on as soon as the engine start's ...

As I understand you post....?... It may be related to the cut-out relay that controls that function !? Good Luck !

Old 12-07-2014, 11:41 AM   #3

My '12 has developed the same symptoms. Dealer recently replaced the start button switch assembly on handlebar. Started bike up and headlight worked fine. Three days later the problem was back. No rhyme or reason........will sometimes not come on at start........and then find it to be on when I stop for gas or at stoplight? One of those problems that will be hard to diagnose due to inconsistency!

Old 12-07-2014, 04:30 PM   #4
Mega-Contributor

Wouldn't a 2012 still be under warranty? Have the dealer take a crack at it. Sounds like you won't be riding for a few months anyway.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 12-07-2014, 08:35 PM   #5

I bought the bike in the U.S. and brought it back to Canada, so don't have warranty. With normal operation the light comes on when the engine starts, not with the key turned to run. Is this control with a relay as Silent Sam mentioned. Could that relay be flaky, if that does exist in the Voyager, does anyone know where it's located? Thanks

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-08-2014, 06:33 PM   #6

Just wish that I could remember if the headlights on my Vaq came on as soon as I turn the key to 'ON'. I recently noticed that when I turn the key to ON, the headlight does not come on. It does turn on by just tapping the starter button without pushing it too much so as to start the bike. Again, wish I could remember if it did this this way, or maybe I just didn't notice before. But I coulda sworn that it did turn ON with the ignition switch.

Truck-Lite LED Headlight - LED Fog Lights
Kawi Pass Floor Boards - Luverne Lowering Links
JLAudio 280/4 AMP
6.5 Speaker Adapters - JLAudio 6.5 -
JLAudio SUB
CD MagicFlex Accent Lights

Old 12-09-2014, 07:07 AM   #7
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3po View Post
Just wish that I could remember if the headlights on my Vaq came on as soon as I turn the key to 'ON'. I recently noticed that when I turn the key to ON, the headlight does not come on. It does turn on by just tapping the starter button without pushing it too much so as to start the bike. Again, wish I could remember if it did this this way, or maybe I just didn't notice before. But I coulda sworn that it did turn ON with the ignition switch.
You are correct. The light doesn't come on till you tap the starter a two or three times. Mine has been this way from the get go. I was wondering if the oil pressure switch triggers a relay. Although the light does not go off till the key is switched off. It may be a latching relay that stays closed till the power is cut.

You make a living by what you get,
You make a life by what you give.

The measure of a man can be summed up by
how he treats people who are the least significant to him.

Old 09-16-2015, 10:07 AM   #8

Mine won't shut off!

I always go to the accessory position when fueling up, so I don't loose the GPS power. Recently a rider stopped and informed me I left my lights on at the gas station. Sure enough it was on. I ride 99% of the time during daylight hours and had no clue of the issue. Seems it is intermittent. And can't get it to do it very often. The ignition switch is a hokey patent anyway, as you always have to fool with the key. Why not require the key only for the lock position-not on/off/acc?

Last edited by H8BUGZ; 09-16-2015 at 04:51 PM.