Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 12-02-2007, 04:11 PM   #1

Electrical charging system

On the General Board I posted that one of many things that I like about the Nomad's design is the charging system seems to be dual or tandem , giving 600 watts from two separate 300 watt systems. I base this on what I can ascertain from the parts diagrams and the wiring diagram. This gives a high output without the use of brushes that were troublesome on my 1500 Goldwing. Is this the way you understand this system? In some cases if one side of the system failed such as one of the voltage regulators or stators would the other side of the system still deliver 300 watts? I would like to understand more about this system.
Thanks

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-02-2007, 06:04 PM   #2
Advanced Member

Send a message via MSN to donoller

will have to study that. goldwing was a easy fix cimpufire fixed them for good

Old 12-02-2007, 09:17 PM   #3
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge

My manual makes no mention of dual charging systems. dual coils for twin spark plugs maybe but not independent systems. Since the entire charging system is governed by the ECM, overiding it would be an electricians task. More like a nightmare

Twin spark plugs were invented in aircraft in case one plug failed in flight. Used in automotive (very rare) and motorcycle (not as rare) is because the flame propagation from one side of the combustion chamber (squish area) was not stable in a lean condition when a large bore is used by design. It's actually used because the manufacturer cannot meet the stringent air quality requirements without making the engine run lousy if not running a advanced fuel injection system. Kawasaki's is not that advanced.

Biggest problem addressed with twin plugs is bike "surging" A condition where you think your holding the throttle slightly open and the bike feels like your rolling the throttle on and off slightly even though you aren't.

Twin plugs actually "screw up" and clean combustion chamber design but that's the cost if you want a decently running large bore motor.

BMW's used that design for about 2 years in their boxer twins to address the surge issue and gave up on that design. It kills horsepower potential. Their new head design, fuel injection along with a slightly larger motor has substantially more horsepower than the old 1150 cc twin plug.

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 12-02-2007, 10:33 PM   #4
Advanced Member

yes but it be ugly

Old 12-03-2007, 12:16 AM   #5

I know my 2000 Fi model has dual voltage regulators to duplicate output from the generator this is probably what shilohsam is talking about.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-03-2007, 12:31 AM   #6
Sr. Contributor

could very well be tex...

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

Member # 0005

Old 12-03-2007, 06:09 PM   #7

Information on the Nomad electrical system that I referenced is found in the Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Nomad factory service manual, Third Edition Oct. 25, 2006.

Page 1-12 General Specifications , Electrical Equipment refers to alternator type as Three- phase AC, twin rotor.

Page 16-6 Exploded View of the electrical system shows the rotor and two stators one inside one outside.

Page 16-43 shows a charging system circuit with a list of components .

Alternator #1 (outside stator)
Alternator #2 (inside stator)
Regulator/Rectifier#1)
Regulator/Rectifier#2)

Old 12-03-2007, 06:36 PM   #8
Sr. Contributor

Explain how this means one alternator is a "backup" or could be used as a backup alternator? Seeing that this is a four plug twin? I guess I'm confused how you came up with this means that we have one as a spare?

Member # 0005

Old 12-03-2007, 07:43 PM   #9

Please refer to my initial post at the beginning of this thread.

I am not stating that this is a backup system, I am asking if this is the way you understand the system . I am trying to learn more about the system in addition to what I have learned from the service manuel. It looks to me for example if one of the voltage regulators failed the other side of the system could possibly continue to work at reduced output in some cases. However the reason for this post is gain more information from others. Looks like a good design to me, just trying to learn more .

Old 12-03-2007, 07:49 PM   #10
Sr. Contributor

Ok, it doesn't seem to be according to the specs. I actually called a service bay and asked and mechanic and he said they operate independently of each other controlled by the ECM which I thought might be the answer. Now if it was like a Mag on an airplane and you could just throw a switch between the two to get you home that would be ultra cool!

You've done good research...Frankly? I just think the Nomad has a biotchen ride!!!

Member # 0005

Old 12-03-2007, 08:48 PM   #11

Blowndodge

Thanks for the additional information. I appreciate this section of the forum. Gives me another place to get insight into the design of the Nomad. Motorcycle engineering and mechanics has been of interest of mine for years, many could care less about this aspect of motorcycling and that's OK too. Foremost I enjoy ridding but in the non ridding months I like to learn more about the mechanics.

Thanks again

Old 12-03-2007, 09:10 PM   #12
Sr. Contributor

Got a response from a friend of mine John Lawrence "Gadget".

That information is correct except one isn't a backup for the other, they're both providing full power all the time. The voltage regulator makes sure only the amount of power required actually makes it to the battery to power bike systems, accessories and charge the battery.

The dual stator has been used in all Vulcan Classics since 1997 and in all Nomads since '99. The Meanstreak and Drifter both have a single stator and about half the output of the dual system.

BTW your system actually puts out 588 watts and 42 amps (@14 volts) with maximum output at 3000 rpm.

Gadget.

Member # 0005

Old 12-13-2007, 08:17 PM   #13

Okay, so if one side of the system fails, can we continue on, or limp home, and if so, with what indication of a failure?

Thanks.

Old 12-13-2007, 08:28 PM   #14
Sr. Contributor

Depending on which side quits it won't limp home. Chances are very slim this would happen anyway so put your mind at ease!

what happened to shilohsam? did he 10-GH us?

Member # 0005

Old 12-24-2007, 09:59 AM   #15
Advanced Member

kawasaki has been using the dual set up for a long time they also did it on the 1300 6cyl. voyager it works well and gives very few problems