Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Regional Groups > Regional Groups > NorthWest Group

Old 01-30-2009, 07:06 PM   #1

relocate to portland

Am interviewing for a job in Portland Or. Would relocate from York,Pa. Am wondering what I can expect in terms of the possibility of year round riding. Is year round riding any more possible in Portland than in s-central pa. Thanks for any comments, advise ect...

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-30-2009, 07:17 PM   #2
Mega-Contributor

relocate to portland

I have been to Portland a few times on business. It's a beautiful area. I'd like to visit there for pleasure sometime.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 01-31-2009, 12:30 AM   #3

relocate to portland

good luck with your job interview.you should be able to get in some riding year round in portland.expect lots of rain though.
i'm sure some of our regulars will have more knowlege then i
on the wheather.
VBA # 745 COG #11621
wheatland,wy.
rallies-custer 09,kalispell 10,crescent city 11,kanab 12,estes park 13,orifino 14.,red lodge 16

2015 ninja 1000 abs
2014 concourse 14
2012 concourse 14-sold
2011 vaquero-sold
2008 nomad-sold
2005 classic-sold

Old 01-31-2009, 03:16 AM   #4

relocate to portland

Hi Scott. Welcome to the board! I live just across the river from Portland. I am 15 minutes from the Portland Airport.

Your riding season depends on how "hearty" of a rider you are.

There are usually at least a couple days each month in the "bad" months (December-Feb) that you can go for a day ride. Cold (35-45) on these days but if you have the gear it is good enough to get the oil and lubricants moving. Mar + April you get a few more days and warmer (45-55) but it still rains alot. June through mid November are usually great riding.

We probably get an average of 2 weeks a year of snow/ice. But little accumulation.

Remember you are only 60 minutes from the mountains (Cascades) 90 minutes from high desert (drier-more extreme temps) and 90 minutes from the coast. Of course you are 5 minutes from a river and maybe 20 minutes to a lake. Great diversity in terrain & scenery.

When I was younger I could snow ski in the morning and water ski in the afternoon!

It is a great place to live and ride but it is more of an 8 month riding season for the fair weather rider.

Vancouver is a great place to live as there isn't any state income tax (may not help you as much if you work in Oregon) but you can buy your big ticket items in Oregon (no sales tax). Money magazine voted Vancouver a great tax haven several years ago. Homes are 5-10% cheaper and property taxes are lower in most areas. The schools are much better in Vancouver than the "core" Portland area. The Portland area does have good schools in the suburban + outlying areas.

I have lived in all parts of the Portland/Vancouver area for over 30 years so if you need some input on where to live or not to live in the area feel free to PM me.

If you can talk about it....what company? Good luck!

VBA #659
2003 Nomad 1500 (Gone but never forgotten)
2005 Honda ST1300 - Sweet and still kickin
2006 Honda Goldwing - Best Boat in the Marina

Old 01-31-2009, 04:16 AM   #5

relocate to portland

Scott,
I'll second what Greg said. I first moved to Portland from Tucson, AZ to attend college in August 1988 and had a hard time adjusting to the "annoying drizzle". I remember calling my parents to tell them that it had "rained" for 28 days straight. It is nothing like the rain you are used to. Here the mist lasts for multiple hours, but you will not get the deluge that many are accustomed to when they think of rain.

Because of that difference, many have little problem riding with the proper protection. As a matter of fact, there are quite a few who bicycle in this weather...even in the winter months. Portlanders rarely use umbrellas, because the rain isn't very intense...they often just deal with it. But the lack of sun does become a factor and is something to consider when moving to this area.

Because of the Cascade Mountains, weather patterns coming from the Pacific Ocean are pushed up and condense to keep some kind of cloud cover over Western Washington and Western Oregon much of the Winter. Many in this area actually suffer from Vitamin D deficiency. This change in climate is something to consider as it affects people not only physically, but also emotionally.

Not that we have fully dampened your desire to move here, you need to understand that Portland and the surrounding area is one of the most beautiful parts of this country. I have been to 42 of the 50 states, and I love it here. Like Greg mentioned, from Portland (80 ft. above sea level) you can climb a 14K ft. mountain, go white-water rafting, wind surfing, fishing, hunting, skiing,... There is easy access to the coast (a beautiful ride on the Nomad), Mt. Hood, Mt. St. Helen's, Seattle, Northern California, Crater Lake and the "high desert" that Greg mentioned.

Once I made it through my first winter here, I was at a city park on a hillside with people from my college and we stopped for lunch. All of the sudden the rain, that I was having such a hard time with, finally broke and I saw this beautiful, luscious, green expanse of city in front of me. I immediately understood what drew people to this area. With the timing of this interview, your move date might be in a time when you see the absolute best this area has to offer. The beauty, the nature, the greenery that makes Portland a great place to live.

I hope this rambling gives you something to think about. Oh, by the way, both Greg and I live in the Portland area (or will, as of Valentines' Day), so you'll have some riding partners as soon as you arrive.
Rich

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-31-2009, 03:44 PM   #6

relocate to portland

Thanks for the info. Am intrigued by Vancouver with the cheaper cost of living but the office is in Tigard. Will be looking (like everyone else) for good value in housing and would love a water view. Love fishing bicycling and nomading. Probably won't want to go above 250,000. Don't really care about being close to anything cultural and no worries about schools for kids.

Old 01-31-2009, 06:34 PM   #7
Mega-Contributor

relocate to portland

The company I used to work for had an office in Tigard. I had to make several visits up there over the years. I couldn't believe how green everything was there. It's because nothing ever dries out.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 02-01-2009, 02:30 AM   #8

relocate to portland

Nothing personal, but good luck staying under 1/4 mill here. It can be done, maybe with a "short sale" but will be a little bit of a challenge. I hope you find the right place.
Rich

Old 02-01-2009, 03:27 PM   #9
Top Contributor

relocate to portland

Scott,
Welcome to KawaNOW and the NW region...(I hope anyways)! Like both Greg and Rich have stated, the Pacific NW is probably the most diverse and beautiful region in all of the United States.

Like both also mentioned, riding can be a year around affair if you gear up for 35-45 degree temps from late November through February. Nothing, and I do mean nothing....can beat riding this region from July through October. The weather/scenery is spectacular and temps are usually between 70-90 degrees depending on where you are (coast, or east of the Cascades).

Like both have mentioned, there are fabulous mountain rides (see other thread here on that), coastal ocean rides, desert rides, you name it...it is all here for you! Of course we also have the annual Oyster Run motorcycle rally each September. Thousands of riders head to Anacortes, WA each year and it is one of the largest single day rallies on the west coast. Google it to learn more... ;)

While both Greg and Rich will be closer to you...any time you wish to venture north to the Seattle/Everett area...drop me a note. At any rate, best of luck with your potential job! We would love to have you as a regular here in our little NW section....

Cheers....Kris
VBA #0691
2017 HD Ultra Limited Low
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

"Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional"

Custer 2009|Kalispell 2010|Cortez 2010|Crescent City 2011|Kanab 2012|Canmore 2012|Estes Park 2013|Orofino 2014|Lake Tahoe 2015|Red Lodge 2016

Old 02-01-2009, 04:30 PM   #10

relocate to portland

Thanks again for all the great information and helpful hints. Will be a difficult decision if they do offer. Looks like housing is about 30-40% higher in the portland area and man it is along from good old PA and family. Thanks again.

Old 02-01-2009, 05:14 PM   #11
Top Contributor

relocate to portland

Of course....you would have to become a Seattle Seahawks fan... . You do realize I'm sure.....that the <s>Stealers</s>, I mean Steelers, had that Superbowl gifted to them on a silver platter, right? The 'Hawks got jobbed horribly by the refs... :(" title="" border="0"/> :'(. Even the most hardcore of Steeler fans would have to admit that. We're not....ummmm....bitter about that or anything.... ;). GO CARDS....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
VBA #0691
2017 HD Ultra Limited Low
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

"Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional"

Custer 2009|Kalispell 2010|Cortez 2010|Crescent City 2011|Kanab 2012|Canmore 2012|Estes Park 2013|Orofino 2014|Lake Tahoe 2015|Red Lodge 2016

Old 02-27-2009, 09:14 PM   #12

relocate to portland

Scott,
Is there any word about whether or not you are moving out? Just wanted to check in and see how things were going.
Rich