Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Regional Groups > Regional Groups > NorthCentral Group

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-12-2009, 11:37 AM   #1

Stepping down as ARL

I have contacted Trip and Ponch about this; and have spoken to the both of them via PM's today.

I will be stepping down as ARL for KawaNow's Central Region due to the fact I no longer own my Nomad. (It was by choice.)

As some of you know... I have been interested in getting a "complete" bagger (with luggage and all) to more accommodate the type of riding Kendra and I do. As you may know, we like to take long rides whenever possible and needed all the storage we could find on a bike.

In our efforts to find a replacement we looked at just about every possible choice out there; to include the new Voyager. Once we looked at all the choices (having road-tested them); we came to a decision to purchase a new '09 HD Ultra-Classic.

We were able to get the HD at a price just slightly higher than the cost of a new Voyager; which was quoted to us at $15,500 "out-the-door". Given the fact the HD had the lowering-package and all the frills imaginable; the price was hard to beat.

The final decision was made though on how all the bikes felt when loaded down -- it had nothing to do with any particular "brand-name" (those of you that know me know that I really don't do for the "brand-name" folly).

For me; the HD provided better stability at critical speeds; which is when I felt the most uncomfortable in controlling a bike -- and was when I would typically get into the most trouble (Dropped the Nomad a couple times at slow speeds).

Comparing the bikes "loaded-down" (two-up and baggage); the bike I bought provided me with the most amount of control and balance. (Remember... I am very short at 5'6" -- 30 inch inseam. The Goldwing was definitely out. The Voyager was the only contender from this perspective.)

So... I hope that no one feels I have abandoned my appreciation for the Nomad... nor that I purchased my new bike based on anything other than "safety". I can tell you already there are sacrifices I am making with regard to shifting-ease; heat of the engine; and maintenance costs. (I am sure I will find other regrets in due time -- to which I will post when I realize what they are.)

Regarding being a member of KawaNOW:

I realize there are some I could have made "mad" or upset during my time here on KawaNOW; however I know I have made a few close friends and acquaintances as well that otherwise would not have occurred had I not been a member of this great organization.

To those I have made mad or upset... I can't really say I am entirely sorry... but rather would say... we agree to disagree... and that is how is should be.

To those I have come to know in person; or via the keyboard... I appreciate it very much; and will do my best to remain in contact. We can still ride sometime when possible!

Trip has been kind enough to allow me to remain a member of KawaNOW as an "Enthusiast Member" which will allow me to check-in from time to time -- of which I will, of course, do. Thanks Trip as losing my membership to this great organization was almost a deal-breaker for the HD purchase!!

Regarding the Central Region... Ponch has asked that I help on organizing the rally for the region next year... something that I am more than happy to do... in fact; delighted to do. In fact; I'll be there as I wouldn't want to miss it.

I don't want to speak for Ponch... however, Ponch will be handling the Central Region's "business" as always as the Regional Leader. He and Trip (if needed) will solely determine how a new ARL will be chosen. There are a few "things" that need to be "ironed-out" in that process; but I assure you Ponch will keep you informed in due-time. Ponch has done a great job thus far and I have all the faith in him to continue to do so for the region.

To all... this is not a goodbye; so much as an expression of my appreciation to all that have taken the time to join me on a few rides; to have engaged me in conversation; to have questioned my thoughts; but most certain of all... to all for just being members of KawaNOW.

Sincerely,

Greg Wilson
Roscoe, IL

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Login or Register to Remove Ads