Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Rides/Trip Reports/Travel Information

Old 02-08-2009, 05:19 PM   #1
Advanced Member

Poker Run/ Dice Run

I'm working on a fund raising event and was wondering if anybody had info on Poker Run and or Dice Run events they have participated or even organized before.

Looking for what riders prefer, like / dislike, rules of events etc...

All input is greatly appreciated.

Timebandit

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-09-2009, 10:03 AM   #2

Poker Run/ Dice Run

I will start by wishing you the best of luck. I organized one a couple years ago and it was a full on nightmare to do. I ended up doing most of the planning with only the help of my wife.
That said I will start with a few things from my "lessons learned' list.
-The ride is pretty straight forward but do it first so you know how much time you have left for "other" events like games and prizes.
-Try to keep the ride stops within 20 min or less of each other. The longer the stretch, the greater the potential for people falling too far behind or getting lost or giving up.
-Once you have the stops figured, work out how long to stay at each stop. Allow extra time if any of the stops are food stops. If you are having a food stop it would be a good idea for that place to have a gas station nearby so the harleys can fill up cause they rarely make it all the way on one tank.
-If there will be alcohol available try not to give them time for more than one beverage.
-Also if alcohol is available you may or may not want to include games that require riding, like a slow race or burnout contest.
-I got a local dealer to throw in a tire for the winner of our burnout. WInner only paid a $20 mounting fee.
-Once you figure all that out and have it on paper you can count up the places that need staff. Then you can determine how many people you need to ask to help out and where and when you need them. These people are good to ask for help in soliciting donations to be awarded as door prizes. You would be surprised at some of the sh*t I gave away.

I went on one run where they organized it like a scavenger hunt. They gave you directions to the town and usually within a few blocks of the site then you have to find a landmark or a building name or something to fill your sheet. Fill the sheet and then go back and draw cards. If you didn't fill, no cards. They offered a wild card spot if you chose to go to it and then you get one free wild card.
Good luck.