Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 08-28-2012, 09:55 PM   #106

Smile

I think what the real issue here is that Jared and Ray come to this forum from a different place. Just my humble opinion and correct me if I'm way off. For info purposes I followed Jared's trip w a smile and a little envy but the smile is bcuz I know I'll ride the hell outta my Nomad too and I like his website too. And I also ordered Ray's mod for my 1600 and will review it once I install it. I came to this forum bcuz since I rode a motorcycle for the 1st time, I wanna keep riding. I absolutely love everything about it and I love my 08 Nomad. Since it's only been a couple years since my first ride I have a lot left to learn. Even if I live to be a thousand I probably wouldn't know half of what Ringadingh or Mac have forgotten about them. So I came here sure for some knowledge which guys like them very helpfully and willingly give but it's not just about that..... it's about the camaraderie in this experience that is obviously important to us. I try to give back by honestly reviewing any and every product I buy for my Nomad. This isn't a huge contribution bcuz everything I've done for my Nomad came from you guys to begin with. I also plan on contributing to the camaraderie part by attending the rallies starting w the Antler's rally. I think most of the guys that really participate here...guys like Jared...come from a camaraderie type place and wanna keep it that way. Just look at his trip's thread and it's easy to see what he's about. I get it and it's why I'm looking forward to meeting and riding w him and others at the rallies. Ray came to this forum a little differently and it's a good part of the issue. Ray obviously knows his business and is passionate enough about mcs to make it his living and loves Vulcan baggers enough to put his money where his mouth is by buying and riding one. But since it's his business and it does seem to be his reason for participating here that somehow that's wrong. I think it would be if he tried to pass himself off as if he was to this forum as Ring or Mac are but none of us who participate would assume that. If he would have just came to the forum and advertised his product I would have ignored him bcuz I didn't know him. I bought it bcuz people I've grown to like and opinions I give weight to bought and praised his product. He certainly didn't come here to ask if there was a filter missing from the left side dog bowl on his 08 Nomad...yeah that was me:) Jared's point that if Kuri would have come up w this guys here would have dissected it and spread it around has some merit but I wouldn't consider Rays 2 man shop the enemy either. But he's also not Chuckster or Idaho that sell their products here but contribute otherwise for a long time. Hopefully Ray will also contribute in other respects to our forum.
VBA #02113
Antlers, Oklahoma '12
Blairsville, Georgia '13
Antlers, Oklahoma '13
Eureka Springs, Arkansas '15

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-28-2012, 09:56 PM   #107
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Ray. I was one of the doubting in the beginning and have watched you explain what you did and or didn't say. I gave you "props" for doing something different. But I had to go back to your original post to see what was actually said.

I'm only posting a small portion of it and highlighting a small "phrase".

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACNRAY View Post
FIRST OF ALL...for anyone that did not read my intro in the welcome forum, here is the link. I hope that those that read it will learn a bit of where i come from.

WELL...what i got myself into has been the most wonderful and rewarding journey i could EVER imagined. If someone told me that first Saturday i would someday own my own m/c shop and for it to have the reputation that we have of honesty and devotion to quality workmanship, it would have completely overwhelmed me!

Imagine what i have seen over 35 years, with the progresion of technology that most take for granted, but for an old timer like me it is a welcome change. The skoots back then were primitive as compared to what we have now so every day there is something new to learn.

I have to be one of the luckiest guys in the world to have combined my love and passion for skoots with earning my living working on them. I am not rich and never will be, struggling like everyone else. But the rewards i have recieved with the peeps i have met, the march of technology and enjoying working on our babies is priceless.

Dad did so much for me when he brought that TS125 home, and i will be forever grateful to him and to all that have supported me and Cycle Race Tek thru the years.

THANX TO ALL

RACNRAY

OK, now to address concerns i see in this thread. In riding my Vaquero i could tell there was a lag or delay between what i was doing with my wrist and how the skoot was responding. Knowing of throttle delays built in to other skoot's fly-by-wire (aka "fbw") systems i knew i needed to research into throttle

I did all the initial R&D, measuring, purchasing of materials (i actually already had the 6061-t6 aircraft aluminum in stock), fabrication, and follow up testing. In offering this to the public i can garrantee a performacne increase thru better throttle response and accelleration. I reserve the right to not post pics as i have worked very hard on this and in the interest of trying to protect one of the aspects of how i earn my living.

I garrantee to all who are interested in this mod that it works. It is not some "gimmick" but a well thought out mod done by a professional in a profeesional manner.

For those that want the specifics on ordering, let me know and i will be glad to pm or email the info.

THANX
RACNRAY

I have trouble with the "I garrentee" [sic] statement. Who ever that professional was that invented the quick turn 1/4 throttle it certainly wasn't you. No offense.

the paragraph above it states that your "protecting" something? Something that was invented by someone else many many years ago?

I'm not trying to bust your chops. I'm sorry if you think I am. Your "product" was touted as an innovation of some sort. At least that was my first impression. A new answer to a new problem. Neither which are completely true if at all. See the above quote in bold/underlined type.

I'm not your advertising agency but I would suspect that informing this crowd (which is very leery of anybody's inventions) that I had a product based on the 1/4 quick turn throttle found on dirt bikes years ago and have adapted it to the Kawasaki because there is so much lag in the throttle improving drivability would have been a better maybe more upfront statement.

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 08-28-2012, 10:49 PM   #108

He may not have been the first to develop the idea....but he WAS the one who put himself out there for the 1700 Kawasaki's....I have not seen anyone else posting about this mod to our bikes before or since he has. I fully appreciate his desire to have trade secrets, if this is such an all knowing idea then it won't be long before Kuryakyn or Scootworks makes it because it seems there is a demand for it.

Ray, I bought the product....it made a difference and made it much more enjoyable to ride so thank you.

2012 Nomad 1700
VBA #02021
VROC #34848

Old 08-28-2012, 10:57 PM   #109

I don't think Ray has any responsibility to give up his own design.
But it is just a quick turn throttle. so if someone wants to pay him for that
I had thought about doing my throttle assembly and posting a how to on it
but my 1600 doesn't have any throttle lag so there is no point

I think Jared should post the links he found for doing your own mod, On A new thread of course. Then people will have a choice. Pay Ray to do it or just do it yourself

Myself and many other members I have talked to think all mods on this forum should be public domain. If a member wants to offer a service for performing a mod, Then that's between those two party's

Any mod I have done on my bike Is free for the asking
V&H pro pipe
FI2000
custom intake
work in progress

Old 08-28-2012, 11:13 PM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmyers View Post
Any mod I have done on my bike Is free for the asking
Oh good, could you send me a set of handlebars like you have for free?
Thanks, I will be watching for the UPS guy.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-28-2012, 11:18 PM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
Oh good, could you send me a set of handlebars like you have for free?
Thanks, I will be watching for the UPS guy.
No problem, Shipping will be $150.00 Plus $.50 handeling
V&H pro pipe
FI2000
custom intake
work in progress

Old 08-28-2012, 11:27 PM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmyers View Post
No problem, Shipping will be $150.00 Plus $.50 handeling
Shipping seems a little high but I think the handling price is very reasonable
VBA #9

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 08-28-2012, 11:42 PM   #113
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
Shipping seems a little high but I think the handling price is very reasonable
Well worth the shipping price. I have a set of Dons bars on my bike. They rock.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
2014 Nomad - SOLD
2012 Victory Vision - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 08-29-2012, 09:40 AM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewey405 View Post
He may not have been the first to develop the idea....but he WAS the one who put himself out there for the 1700 Kawasaki's....I have not seen anyone else posting about this mod to our bikes before or since he has. I fully appreciate his desire to have trade secrets, if this is such an all knowing idea then it won't be long before Kuryakyn or Scootworks makes it because it seems there is a demand for it.

Ray, I bought the product....it made a difference and made it much more enjoyable to ride so thank you.
Not true I made a few posts about a guy in Oregon doing it for half the price, and received many negative posts. Just can't understand people not trying to save money in this economy.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:48 AM   #115

:thumbup::thumbup:
V&H pro pipe
FI2000
custom intake
work in progress

Old 08-29-2012, 03:22 PM   #116
Advanced Member

Clayton
2008 1600 Nomad
VBA #01332

Old 08-29-2012, 04:57 PM   #117
Top Contributor

I dont understand why Ray is being vilified on this forum. He offered a product with a price. You either buy it or you dont buy it whether is was his idea or not. For some it appears that they knew about this mod before Ray offered it for sale. Great.
I doubt any of those people bought it. For those that did not know about it, or did know about and chose to buy it anyway, who cares. It does not apear that anyone is unhappy with the mod.

I knew about the mod, I had one one on a Rickman Bonnevile in the 70s, and still bought one from Ray. I personally think he charges too much for what it is, but that is my choice.

Last edited by redjay; 08-29-2012 at 06:15 PM.

Old 08-29-2012, 05:11 PM   #118

Just wondering how many of the people complaining make their own pizza ? probably not to many cause its easier and faster to have pizza hut do it even tho it costs way more. i know i go to pizza hut cause it is faster,easier and no clean up JUST GO RIDE MY BIKE!!
VBA. #01941
ROK

Old 08-29-2012, 05:49 PM   #119

I have to agree. It boggles my mind that anyone would carry-on about it.

Geez... guys, this crap is complete nonsense.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 08-29-2012, 05:50 PM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwilson View Post
I have to agree. It boggles my mind that anyone would carry-on about it.

Geez... guys, this crap is complete nonsense.
VBA #9

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]