Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 03-07-2011, 11:40 PM   #1

Lowered Nomad

Is there anyone who has lowered the suspension on their Nomad? I know the Nomad already has poor clearance, but I would love to see a custom Nomad with a lower, lengthened appearance. Anyone ever seen anything like that?

VBA #1051 (Former President)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-08-2011, 12:03 AM   #2
Advanced Member

Lowered Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah Motorcyclist
Is there anyone who has lowered the suspension on their Nomad? I know the Nomad already has poor clearance, but I would love to see a custom Nomad with a lower, lengthened appearance. Anyone ever seen anything like that?
Jared, check VROC I do remember a few years ago a member who did lower it with shorter shocks and stiffer springs with a progressive front end if I remember correctly. It looked like a tail dragger like some slammed chevy's from the 60's. I also think it had a mean streak engine in it and a bunch of performance upgrades. It was a show bike I believe.
It was yellow and purple and green if I remember correctly. It was cool. If I find it I'll post a pic and the members ID. If someone else know that I'm sure they will chime in. I don't think it was ridden much more of a trailer queen (memory) as it was pretty low. I think they were AIR shocks and it may have had some other mods for the suspension. I do remember it was a solo setup and the seat was a custom one off too, like the ones on HD choppers etc.

If I was good at drawing I bet I could relay some of the look.

Damn now you got me thinking....great hours of searching now...LOL..

Wish I had saved a pic of it. It was unique for sure. But other then the bags (no strips with a mural?) it didn't look like a Nomad to me. I don't think the tank was original either so it may have been a 99?
Maybe it was just the bags on another bike. Wheels were also changed (front anyway as you can see it).

Maybe this has jogged someone else's memory....or I had a psychotic break and dreamed it all

Old 03-08-2011, 07:40 AM   #3

Lowered Nomad

Jared, When I bought mine, it had already been lowered using shorter progressive rear shocks, although I didn't know it at the time.. Rode it probably 5K miles before I realised it was different than other Nomads. No dragging issues (unless I drop off of a really bad drive or something like that). I have since had the chance to ride other Nomads and don't find anything disagreeable about them, BUT I like mine better with the lower feel. Really feels conected to the road, and have a sense of riding down in the bike, not on it.

Also, I don't find the bike heavy feeling or hard to operate at low speeds. In fact, I almost never put my feet down now while stopping, unless of course, I have to wait. Kind of like the look too. It is noticeable, even when not parked next to another Nomad.

Old 03-08-2011, 08:26 AM   #4
Advanced Member

Lowered Nomad

Can't say for sure, but I think mine's been dropped an inch or two. It seems to squat a bit more than the other 99's I've seen.
There's definitely a downward angle on the pipes and it seems like there's less tire showing than I've seen on most. It'll drag pipe coming out of my driveway unless I really ease it down (which of course I always do now that I know it can happen). Also notice the bike doesn't lean as much when on the side stand.

The first photo is mine. The second one is just a random picture I got off the internet when I was contemplating white walls. They're sitting at roughly the same angle.

Paul, are the shocks labeled? Do they re-work the stock shocks, or are they a replacement deal? Just curious if there's some way I could know for sure whether mine's been dropped. Thanks

VBA member #01682
Green 1999 Nomad 1500 carb'd 43,000 miles
JOG'd at 20,000, JOG failed at 40,000
SOG'd at 40,000
Darksider

Old 03-08-2011, 09:26 AM   #5

Lowered Nomad

Measure the length of the shock and compare it against a stock oem shock. A few guys have used shorter shocks before, but like mentioned It will scrape the pipes a little sooner.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-08-2011, 10:00 AM   #6
Advanced Member

Lowered Nomad

I'll do that (measure) and snap a photo the next time I pull the bags off it.

VBA member #01682
SOG'd at 40,000
Darksider

Old 03-08-2011, 10:06 AM   #7

Lowered Nomad

Mine is lowered when we are all loaded up :)
2003 BMW K1200LT "Magic Carpet" DOA 11/7/2015
VBA #00291
IBA # 41995
DS #320
'08 Elkins, WV; '09 Helen, GA; '09 Custer, SD; '10 Stanton, VA; '11 Maggie Valley; '12 Townsend, TN; '13 Estes Park; '13 Blairsville, GA; '15 Eureka Springs; '16 Helen; '18 Custer, SD

Old 03-08-2011, 10:17 AM   #8

Location: 6th Floor up at the The Nervous Hospital up in East Central State, NC
Lowered Nomad

I lowered my first Nomad and I really didn't care for the way she handled and the pipes scraped to easily. I did like, as mentioned, the feeling of riding in the bike and not on it. The cons out weighed the pros for my taste, but other folks like it.

I would definitely ask some kind hearted fellow if I could try his lowered Nomad, because once you invest about $400 into a set of progressive shocks, they're yours like 'em or not.

??-Mar.2,2012 "Rocky" My Beloved Dog RIP

Mike Tripp
VBA#767
'96 800 Vulcan Classic
06 1600 Nomad
07 1600 Nomad

"The shoes you buy at the Salvation Army is already been broke in"- Aunt Kawhead

Old 03-08-2011, 01:18 PM   #9

Lowered Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawhead
I lowered my first Nomad and I really didn't care for the way she handled and the pipes scraped to easily. I did like, as mentioned, the feeling of riding in the bike and not on it. The cons out weighed the pros for my taste, but other folks like it.

I would definitely ask some kind hearted fellow if I could try his lowered Nomad, because once you invest about $400 into a set of progressive shocks, they're yours like 'em or not.
Your the first one with a 1600 who's done it. Perhaps it makes a difference? Do you have any before and after pics?

Old 03-08-2011, 07:40 PM   #10

Lowered Nomad

Danimal, the shocks are not marked as to size, but the shallower lean angle when your bike is on the side stand is a clue. Sounds like your's are shorter. To those who complain about dragging, I did have a little more dragging until I set the rebound to the next to last setting. Since then, (about 18 months ago) I can't remember dragging even once. Oh, and progessives are a replacement shock.

Old 03-08-2011, 09:19 PM   #11

Lowered Nomad

Jared,
I lowered the first Nomad, but not my second Nomad. I dropped the front and rear an inch. I liked the feel but didn't like the dragging of the aftermarket pipes. May not scrape the stock pipes. I have the stock pipes back on it now, but it is a garage maiden.

Danimal the ends of the forks extended above the triple tree the amount mine was lowered on my 99'. I had one inch above the top of the triple tree. The 99' is in the signature pictures.
VBA #1047
07 Electra Glide Ultra (43,300 & counting)
03 Nomad - 37,972 (traded 5/6/13)
99 Nomad - Only a memory since 4/27/13

Old 03-09-2011, 02:01 AM   #12

Location: 6th Floor up at the The Nervous Hospital up in East Central State, NC
Lowered Nomad

Quote:
Quote:

Your the first one with a 1600 who's done it. Perhaps it makes a difference? Do you have any before and after pics?
I'll look and see if I ca find an after pic, I believe the one in my sig is a before. I have to be more specific about the shocks. They were 11" or 11.5" HD Progressive whichever is the shortest shock they make. It would rub the stock pipes with little effort, and got a little spooky on the interstate circular on and off ramps

I don't believe I'm the first to lower (the rear) a 1600 Nomad. I believe I'm the first to do it and admit it.

To sum it up, I went to the lower shock to make it comfortable at traffic lights and stop signs, I have a 29" inseam. It handled differently and wasn't crazy about it. To me, I felt like I had to drive it.

Anyway, a deer hit me and totaled my poor Nomad and I got me another one with no plans to change the stock shocks

Here's an after pic: http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...7/IMG_0669.jpg

I'm kidding, I'll look for another.

??-Mar.2,2012 "Rocky" My Beloved Dog RIP

Mike Tripp
VBA#767
'96 800 Vulcan Classic
06 1600 Nomad
07 1600 Nomad

"The shoes you buy at the Salvation Army is already been broke in"- Aunt Kawhead

Old 03-09-2011, 02:06 AM   #13

Lowered Nomad

Quote:
Quote:

I'll look and see if I ca find an after pic, I believe the one in my sig is a before. I have to be more specific about the shocks. They were 11" or 11.5" HD Progressive whichever is the shortest shock they make. It would rub the stock pipes with little effort, and got a little spooky on the interstate circular on and off ramps

I don't believe I'm the first to lower (the rear) a 1600 Nomad. I believe I'm the first to do it and admit it.

To sum it up, I went to the lower shock to make it comfortable at traffic lights and stop signs, I have a 29" inseam. It handled differently and wasn't crazy about it. To me, I felt like I had to drive it.

Anyway, a deer hit me and totaled my poor Nomad and I got me another one with no plans to change the stock shocks

Here's an after pic: http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...7/IMG_0669.jpg

I'm kidding, I'll look for another.
Poor deer. :'( :'( :'( :'( ;)

Old 03-09-2011, 10:00 AM   #14
Advanced Member

Lowered Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndbigfish
Jared,
the ends of the forks extended above the triple tree the amount mine was lowered on my 99'. I had one inch above the top of the triple tree. The 99' is in the signature pictures.
They didn't do the front of mine. The tube tops are even with the triple tree. Maybe that would explain why my bike's front end has a tendency to want to flop over at a certain point while doing slow manuvers.

VBA member #01682
SOG'd at 40,000
Darksider

Old 03-09-2011, 12:45 PM   #15
Sr. Contributor

Lowered Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by danimal2
[quote author=ndbigfish board=general thread=22428 post=337896 time=1299637183]Maybe that would explain why my bike's front end has a tendency to want to flop over at a certain point while doing slow manuvers.
My Nomad is stock and it has always flopped over at slow speeds. Found out the hard way. I have learned to shift my weight even more when driving slow and turning. Also helps if you can keep the bike straight upright while turning. Rather then letting it lean. ;)
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]