Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 03-20-2018, 01:40 PM   #1

Backing a Voyager out of garage with sloped driveway

My driveway has a moderate downhill slope all the way to the street, which is about 40 ft. I park my Bandit on the right side of my garage, and rather than back it out to the street, I cock the front wheel to the left so I can swing the bike out to the left side of the top of the driveway, then I turn it back to the right so I can then drive it onto the street. Easy enough on a 500 lb. bike with a 58.5 inch wheel base on my sloped driveway.

But I'm wondering whether that'll be the case with a Voyager. Does anyone have a situation similar to mine and can tell me whether my current method will still work, or will I'll have to back it out to the street?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-20-2018, 01:56 PM   #2

My Voyager was 8.5 feet long from the forward arc of the front wheel to the furtherest protrusion on the rear fender. The steering wasn't particularly short. So you will have a challenge.

My situation was the same as yours and I found I had to do all I could do on the first effort, then handle bars all the way to the other side and back up a couple of feet and then repeat the first maneuver again. I got bonus points if I could keep it in edge of the garage to do all the juggling around on a flat surface but lost points if it got out into the driveway and I had to content with the slope. f I got really crossed up, I had a sidewalk that I could drive onto to get a little extra room. First time took several tries but after that I could get it on the first try. Forget trying to push it uphill to get a little wiggle room. I

Old 03-20-2018, 02:15 PM   #3

I do it, no problem...2 car driveway

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

Old 03-20-2018, 02:37 PM   #4

Thanks guys. On my Bandit, I can use slope to my advantage when swinging it out of the garage to give me a little momentum to swing back up towards the garage and more easily point the front downhill. But with the Voyager's extra length and weight I don't see this happening. I might have to adjust my technique to swing out in a larger arc out to the path running from the driveway to the front door, and use the extra room that should provide to get pointed to the street.

Old 03-20-2018, 02:42 PM   #5
Top Contributor

I sat on my Voyager and pushed it out of the garage (in reverse) with my feet.
Once it clears the double garage door I make an arc and turn the Voyager at 90 degrees to the garage. Then I start the bike and continue the other 90 degrees on the driveway until I am facing the street.

Once a heavy bike is leant over and reaches a certain point it takes a very strong person to stop it going to the floor. I tried and failed.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-20-2018, 02:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toku57 View Post
My driveway has a moderate downhill slope all the way to the street, which is about 40 ft. I park my Bandit on the right side of my garage, and rather than back it out to the street, I cock the front wheel to the left so I can swing the bike out to the left side of the top of the driveway, then I turn it back to the right so I can then drive it onto the street. Easy enough on a 500 lb. bike with a 58.5 inch wheel base on my sloped driveway.

But I'm wondering whether that'll be the case with a Voyager. Does anyone have a situation similar to mine and can tell me whether my current method will still work, or will I'll have to back it out to the street?

Toku57, I back mine down a 20' drive and turn into the sidewalk so I can drive in to the street. If I back it into the street the angel is so steep that I would lose touch with the ground and drop the bike. If I have a car parked behind the m/c I have to jockey the m/c out. I have been doing it for about 4 yrs and you just got to be sure you are on sound footing every step.

TX1700 on VBA
plunge on Texas VROC
VROC #36447
VBA #02703
Ivan's reflash
2013 Vulcan Voyager ABS
2002 Road Star (sold)

Old 03-20-2018, 03:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX1700 View Post
Toku57, I back mine down a 20' drive and turn into the sidewalk so I can drive in to the street. If I back it into the street the angel is so steep that I would lose touch with the ground and drop the bike. If I have a car parked behind the m/c I have to jockey the m/c out. I have been doing it for about 4 yrs and you just got to be sure you are on sound footing every step.
Thanks TX1700. Judging by your pic, your driveway slope is similar to mine, but shorter in length. I'd do something similar to what you do, except since I don't have a sidewalk I'd have to angle it quicker across the driveway onto the path to the front door, and the path is only about 5' from the garage door. I think it's doable if I lean gently into the incline as I'm angling for the path to keep from "highsiding". Would just have to be careful like always to not put my feet down on twigs or wet leaves, etc. as I'm backpedaling it out.

It's too bad dealers and private sellers don't let you take bikes home to try this stuff out before you buy.

Last edited by Toku57; 03-20-2018 at 03:53 PM.

Old 03-20-2018, 03:59 PM   #8

Build yourself a Lazy Susan or a turn table....and go down forward....just my 2 pecos.
Gadgets has a writeup....

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
1500 Meanie, fresh rebuild (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
2001 UltraCycle FatPounder (Sold)
1975 HD ElectraGlide (Sold)
1982 Kawasaki Z1 Chopper (Sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Old 03-20-2018, 06:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonLady58 View Post
Build yourself a Lazy Susan or a turn table....and go down forward....just my 2 pecos.

Great Idea and much safer too.

Old 03-20-2018, 06:57 PM   #10

Here's a great video on building a MC turntable.
Paul does a Great job on all his videos.
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 03-20-2018, 07:10 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonLady58 View Post
Great idea for those who have enough room in their garage, but I'm not that guy. Heck, I barely have room to turn a 1/10 scale model Voyager on a kitchen lazy susan in mine .

But here's a great vid on one that even I could build if I did have room. I'd use a bigger base so you could actually put the kickstand down to park your bike though.

This guy's looks even better, although he just gives a brief overview of how he built it:

Last edited by Toku57; 03-20-2018 at 07:39 PM.

Old 03-20-2018, 08:17 PM   #12

I just use my motorcycle lift for spinning the bike around. Quick and easy and it didn't cost more money for a bike spinner device.

2005 Vulcan Nomad Sold
2006 Honda 1800 VTX (Freebie) Sold
2008 Harley Ultra Classic Sold
2001 Harley Ultra Classic Sold

Hangtown, Kalifornia

VBA #2625

Old 03-20-2018, 08:54 PM   #13

Maybe one of these would work for you.

VBA #02401
2015 Voyager
2006 1600 Nomad black(sold)

2016 Salem, Antlers,
2017 Eureka Springs, Lake George, Antlers
2018 Custer NR, Antlers

Old 03-20-2018, 09:14 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Hog View Post
I just use my motorcycle lift for spinning the bike around. Quick and easy and it didn't cost more money for a bike spinner device.
I’ll need a lift too. What kind of lift do you have?

Old 03-20-2018, 10:46 PM   #15

My garage driveway is up hill from the regular driveway. I back my Voyager out and turn perpendicular to the driveway either right or left, doesn’t seem to matter and then turn the wheel and point it down the driveway and go, really isn’t hard at all. I will admit, it was a little nerve wracking at first because this bike is 365lbs heavier than my Volusia.

One other note, these bikes are a bear to reverse on anything that isn’t remotely level, so make sure you think ahead when parking. You don’t want to be in a situation where you need to back it up hill.

Also, I take my calves and lock them against the passenger floorboards and lever my legs from there to get some extra pull when backing the bike up.

Last edited by BonVoyager; 03-20-2018 at 10:48 PM.