Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 03-18-2018, 03:54 PM   #1

An Idea to Make More Passenger Room on Voyager

Hey, I have done a lot of reading here (and online in general) on moving the trunk back a bit cause the passenger room is a bit tight.
The wife and I aren't that slim so it's a problem.
Had my trunk and chrome trim off last night, trying to figure out a way. It looks pretty much impossible unless I were a skilled fabricator with all kinds of materials. I have seen pics of the guy that used a couple of perforated square bars but I feel it takes away the great looks of the bike.
Then an idea came to me. Could I get an upholsterer to shave a couple or three inches off the back rest and then recover it? Then if even more room is needed, the spacers behind it could be removed.
Has anyone ever tried this? If so, how'd it go? If no one has tried it, what are your thoughts?
I would love to figure out a solution for this. My wife doesn't go on as often because of this.
Thanks

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-18-2018, 06:03 PM   #2

My wife and I have ridden a couple Voyagers, and it sounds like we have a lot in common. I was thinking, if I ever bought a Voyager, I would thin the backrest down to give some room, there is some excess to work with there. It is hard to find another bike that is as roomy and comfortable as my 1600, and I've been ridding it for 13 years now.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 03-18-2018, 07:22 PM   #3

Some have said they took the spacer out from between the trunk and passenger back rest. Says it gains 1-2 inches.

Budrat said they did something with the mounting tabs under the trim and moved trunk back. But there was no pictures taken so not sure how it looked.

I've read where someone had everything moved back 3 inchs. Custom job $1000.
VBA #02401
2015 Voyager
2006 1600 Nomad black(sold)

2016 Salem, Antlers,
2017 Eureka Springs, Lake George, Antlers
2018 Custer NR, Antlers

Old 03-18-2018, 08:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumber63 View Post
Some have said they took the spacer out from between the trunk and passenger back rest. Says it gains 1-2 inches.

Budrat said they did something with the mounting tabs under the trim and moved trunk back. But there was no pictures taken so not sure how it looked.

I've read where someone had everything moved back 3 inchs. Custom job $1000.
Ya, I found a thread on another form of the guy that had it done for a $1000 but the photos wouldn't work, so I don't know how they did it.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk

Old 03-18-2018, 08:13 PM   #5

I seen the pictures. He had new chrome trim made that fit up perfectly. They redid the mounting brackets

If you didn't know it, you would have thought it was factory.

I've seen ones done with the strut also. No way I would do that to my bike.
VBA #02401
2015 Voyager
2006 1600 Nomad black(sold)

2016 Salem, Antlers,
2017 Eureka Springs, Lake George, Antlers
2018 Custer NR, Antlers

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-18-2018, 09:45 PM   #6

I noticed early on when checking out different tourers the Voyager's passenger compartment seemed a bit smaller, but since my significant other has no interest in riding with me that wouldn't be an issue.

If she was interested, it might be an issue since as significant others go, she's more "significant" than others, if you catch my drift. Not fat mind you, but certainly not petite. But wouldn't shaving 2-3 inches off the backrest leave insufficient padding for a passenger to be comfortable?

Old 03-18-2018, 10:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toku57 View Post
I noticed early on when checking out different tourers the Voyager's passenger compartment seemed a bit smaller, but since my significant other has no interest in riding with me that wouldn't be an issue.

If she was interested, it might be an issue since as significant others go, she's more "significant" than others, if you catch my drift. Not fat mind you, but certainly not petite. But wouldn't shaving 2-3 inches off the backrest leave insufficient padding for a passenger to be comfortable?
I'm not sure, that's one thing I'm worried about. That's why I was hoping there may be someone who has done it.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk

Old 03-19-2018, 09:37 AM   #8

92161a/b in this diagram are how the pad is mounted to the trunk. By removing these and mounting the pad directly to the trunk with tabs you'll have to make, you can gain about 1-1 1/2" of space. The tabs are only 1" wide by about 2" long flat aluminum pieces.
https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/ka...ddlebags-trunk

Old 03-19-2018, 10:00 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick6375 View Post
92161a/b in this diagram are how the pad is mounted to the trunk. By removing these and mounting the pad directly to the trunk with tabs you'll have to make, you can gain about 1-1 1/2" of space. The tabs are only 1" wide by about 2" long flat aluminum pieces.
Ok, ya I figured I would do this and then if more is needed then I will explore the idea of shaving down the back rest a bit. Thanks.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

Old 03-19-2018, 10:11 AM   #10
Mega-Contributor

It's a shame they don't make it more easily adjustable or make a kit that would allow it. Not everyone is the same size.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 04-11-2018, 04:41 AM   #11

I chose the $30,000 option to fixing the passenger space problem. The wife now rides a Spyder.

Old 04-11-2018, 05:21 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike07nad View Post
I chose the $30,000 option to fixing the passenger space problem. The wife now rides a Spyder.
That'll fix it. Just a little more than I was wanting to spend. 😁

Old 05-01-2018, 08:22 PM   #13
Advanced Member

I just mounted my Corbin passenger backrest and they don't use the OEM mounts (92161A,B,C) and you bolt it from inside the trunk into the backrest. Therefor Corbin sits closer to trunk and gives more room.

I will say there is NO WAY a big or even mildly overweight person could fit on back with Corbin seat and driver's backrest IMO. I could barely fit and the driver's backrest held me in position with either trunk backrests. I suspect that is why person sold it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick6375 View Post

Last edited by Lumberjack; 05-01-2018 at 09:18 PM.

Old 05-01-2018, 08:31 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumberjack View Post
I just mounted my Corbin passenger backrest and they don't use the OEM mounts (92161A,B,C) and you bolt it from inside the truck into the backrest. Therefor Corbin sits closer to trunk and gives more room.

I will say there is NO WAY a big or even mildly overweight person could fit on back with Corbin seat and driver's backrest IMO. I could barely fit and the driver's backrest held me in position with either trunk backrests. I suspect that is why person sold it.
Thanks for the info. I did check out how the seat is attached as well as any possibility of shaving down the back rest. Neither way will give much room. I think the only way would be to get someone to mod the back to move the whole thing back 2 or 3 inches.

Old 05-01-2018, 10:34 PM   #15

I took the flexible spacers out of my passenger backrest, then hacked them to pieces to make offset bolts to remount the backrest. That gained an inch or so.

Rick from Luverne Kawasaki (he's a member here, and has recently closed his business) did the custom job you've mentioned where the whole trunk was moved back a few inches. I asked him about it a few years ago, and he emailed me the photos below. He couldn't find any of the progress photos, just those of the finished product. The work entailed buying another set of chrome trim pieces and splicing them in so it looks OEM, and as we all know, OEM parts are certainly not cheap. That would have inflated the cost of the job.

It looks like beautiful work (as I've learned Rick is well known for), but it seemed well beyond what I'd be able to accomplish myself. So for me - that project never really got off the ground.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 003.jpg (95.5 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 005.jpg (91.2 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 006.jpg (94.9 KB, 28 views)

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)

Tags
more room, passenger backrest, trunk