Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Regional Groups > Regional Groups > Canada West Group

Old 06-25-2010, 08:32 AM   #1

A question about crossing the Border.

When crossing into the USA what is the procedure for motorbikes. Do they have a lane for bikes only or do you pull up to the shake and remove your helmets and give them your passport or what??? Just want to Know before we go. Thanks

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-25-2010, 10:50 AM   #2
Top Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to rickyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshwetz
When crossing into the USA what is the procedure for motorbikes. Do they have a lane for bikes only or do you pull up to the shake and remove your helmets and give them your passport or what??? Just want to Know before we go. Thanks
It might depend on what crossing you use. I use the 264th St/Meridian crossing sometimes. It goes straight down to Bellingham WA. There is no dedicated motorcycle lane there. And because of where "my cabin" is, I use the Sumas or Huntingdon crossing which is down from Abbotsford. There is no dedicated bike lane there either. There may be a motorcycle lane at the "main crossing" I don't know, and maybe someone else can verify that for you.
So yes "Madno" it's get in line with the cars, shut your motorcycle off, and remove your sunglasses. Smile and hand them your passport. They may or may not ask you to remove your helmet. That might depend on what style of helmet you wear.

Remember to get in touch if you're near by the Langley/ Abbotsford area, if you care to meet for a coffee.

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
108 Mile Ranch, British Columbia
Canada
Vulcan Bagger Assoc. #00722
Black 2006 Nomad

https://cdn2.iconfinder.com/data/ico...Book_32x32.png

Old 06-25-2010, 10:52 PM   #3

Yooouuuu Betcha! Thanks

Old 06-26-2010, 01:56 AM   #4

Madno,

We usually use Peace Arch, Vancouver, B.C. and there's no bike lane there. Going into the US, my wife and I pull in together, turn off engines, remove sunglasses, sometimes remove helmet and after a brief Q&A, we're welcomed to the USA.

Coming back is different, Canadian officers want us to pull in separately, apparently they can process only one vehicle at a time. They specifically ask if we had any alterations or repairs done to our bikes and the usual questions.

If it is a not-so-busy border, I think the officers are so bored, they tend to ask more questions and they're more strict. Once going into the USA via Osoyoos, BC, we were required to cross separately, I was not allowed to get off the bike to hand my passport (supposed to stay on the bike) and he "interviewed" me.

I think every border is slightly different and your experience may vary depending on the officer on duty.

Cheers,

Elvis

Old 06-26-2010, 09:00 AM   #5
Top Contributor

and I might add......it really helps not to have any warrants for your arrest or be on any terrorist watch lists.... !
VBA #0691
2017 HD Ultra Limited Low
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

"Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional"

Custer 2009|Kalispell 2010|Cortez 2010|Crescent City 2011|Kanab 2012|Canmore 2012|Estes Park 2013|Orofino 2014|Lake Tahoe 2015|Red Lodge 2016

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-30-2010, 09:18 AM   #6
Advanced Member

You're still crossing at Carway? In line with the cars, have your passport ready, they really hate it when you have to go looking for it, turn off your Nomad, remove your sunglasses. If it's the nice lady that has been there the last 3 summers, she likes to ask strange questions but we've never had a problem. If you are traveling with another motorcycle, they will let both come forward together on the US side.

Now that's in Alberta. We've crossed the border at 4 different crossings in BC and have gone through a different process there. Took longer, one motorcycle at a time, and they just seemed to be a bit more tense - must be worried about all that good pot going across the border.

Now the Canadian side - that's a whole other thing sometimes. Depends on how young the border guard is on whether or not you'll have problems and how busy they are. It seems the young ones are out to prove themselves, and if they have the time, will get nasty and go through your ride. The older ones just want to do their jobs and go home. We always have more problems coming home then going into the States especially if we've been gone more than a couple of days. The longer we're in the States, the more intense the questions and the scrutiny. Last time we were in the States for 2 weeks, the young ones at the border, went through the trailer and truck from top to bottom; they even dumped out the garbage and rooted through it. The one that really annoyed me was the guy that climbed onto our bed in the fifth wheel, boots and all, and went through our clothes. Don't care if they root through my clothes, but they should at least have the decency not to put their boots on the bed.

Old 07-03-2010, 01:15 PM   #7

I normally cross at Buffalo from Ontario and Ive never had a problem. Just get in the car lanes and wait your turn. The last time there where four us us travelling together and the Canadian gaurd waved us up all at once to go through. But that was the only time.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951