Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 01-24-2014, 10:17 PM   #1

??For Those With Amps

I was watching a amp install video on youtube the other night and a tech stated that when running an amplifier, you should turn the AVC off. He says amps and AVCs don't get along well.

Any validity to this statement?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-24-2014, 11:02 PM   #2
Advanced Member

I had mine on, but it was set low, like 1 or 2. I don't really know why it would matter actually, it is just a volume boost at higher RPM's, if your amp is set up right I don't think its an issue, but with the high windshield, I found I didn't really need as much volume differential with less buffeting on my helmet at higher speeds. I assume they are worried about distortion, but I didn't notice any issues once it was set up right.
Rockford Fosgate Punch PEQ Equalizer
Garmin Nuvi 4555 GPS Unit
Kawasaki Aux Light Kit
Ipod Kit w/4th Gen Ipod
Laam Custom Seat w/modified Backrest
Avon Grips w/RACNRAY's mod
Aluminum Mirror Risers
Clearview Large Windshield
Chuckster Trailer Hitch
12v accessory plug
VROC Member #36236

"I have not failed, I just found 10,000 ways that won't work" - Thomas A. Edison

Old 01-25-2014, 09:15 AM   #3

Thanks Dave.....I got the amp/Polks and PEQ installed. Got it right the 1st time, too. Sounds better than stock for sure. Thanks for your help on it. Been thinking sub in rear, but not sure if I want to pull the trigger on that one. Have to wonder if it's really worth doing....
Henry

Old 01-25-2014, 01:16 PM   #4
Advanced Member

Did you use a line-level converter into the amp or just use the speaker outputs from the stock head unit? Just wondering, I thought I may get a better sound if I converted the speaker outs to a line-level output to feed the amp. I thought about a sub in the rear too, but didn't want to use up the space for it. Not so much because I want to thump my head off, but just to take the low-frequency stress off the smaller front speakers and send them to the rear, I think it would really clear it up, but with the taller shield, I am pretty happy for now.

Dave
Kawasaki Aux Light Kit
Ipod Kit w/4th Gen Ipod
Aluminum Mirror Risers
Chuckster Trailer Hitch
12v accessory plug
VROC Member #36236

"I have not failed, I just found 10,000 ways that won't work" - Thomas A. Edison

Old 01-25-2014, 07:39 PM   #5

I just used the speaker outputs for now. May do the line-level later on. Also, thanks again for the help/advise you gave me.
Henry

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-25-2014, 07:53 PM   #6
Advanced Member

Don't mention it. Let me know if you decide to do a sub, like to see how you pull it off.

Dave
Kawasaki Aux Light Kit
Ipod Kit w/4th Gen Ipod
Aluminum Mirror Risers
Chuckster Trailer Hitch
12v accessory plug
VROC Member #36236

Old 01-26-2014, 10:11 AM   #7

I put in the fosgate amp recently. I'm not to happy with the out come. Every speaker I have installed sounds muddy. I even put in JL Audio and removed the enclosures and they still didn't sound good. So far the only speakers that work are the stock ones, go figure. Any help and or advice would be appreciated. I know it is not the amp as I sent the original one back to fosgate and they replaced it with a new one.

2012 Vaquero
1700 Nomad
(Deceased)
Cobra Tri-Ovals
Racnrays Invention (Throttle Mod)
Ivan's flash
Thunder Tornado Big Air Kit

Old 01-27-2014, 06:16 PM   #8
Advanced Member

I know I had to run the high-pass filter and cut it at around 80-90Hz If I recall, and then the sensitivity can be set from 4-6 volts, and I think I had to set it to the lower end of that as I recall, and it did seem to make a difference in the sound, which I don't really understand from what the manual says that setting does. Also, make sure the AVC is set low, like 1 or 2 at the most. Other than that, mine is louder, and clearer, but its not as big a difference as I expected. As I said before, this spring, I am going to try a line-level converter to see if I can clear up my sound more, I think that may yield better results.

Dave
Kawasaki Aux Light Kit
Ipod Kit w/4th Gen Ipod
Aluminum Mirror Risers
Chuckster Trailer Hitch
12v accessory plug
VROC Member #36236

Old 10-26-2014, 09:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by captj3 View Post
I put in the fosgate amp recently. I'm not to happy with the out come. Every speaker I have installed sounds muddy. I even put in JL Audio and removed the enclosures and they still didn't sound good. So far the only speakers that work are the stock ones, go figure. Any help and or advice would be appreciated. I know it is not the amp as I sent the original one back to fosgate and they replaced it with a new one.
Am curious if you are running the amp with the stock speakers? If so, did they last long or did you replace them before blowing them. Have recently been reading good things about this amp, Clarion XC1410 300W RMS XC Series Micro 4-Channel Class D Car Amplifier/Amp, thinking about installing over the winter. Also looking to adapt 6 1/2" speakers. Has anyone here done this?

Old 10-27-2014, 10:13 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick6375 View Post
Am curious if you are running the amp with the stock speakers? If so, did they last long or did you replace them before blowing them. Have recently been reading good things about this amp, Clarion XC1410 300W RMS XC Series Micro 4-Channel Class D Car Amplifier/Amp, thinking about installing over the winter. Also looking to adapt 6 1/2" speakers. Has anyone here done this?
I did not replace them. I am still using them today. They didn't blow. When I went with the new amp and speakers I was expecting a vast improvement in the sound. Needless to say that is not what I found. My take on the whole thing is simple, the 5 1/4" speaker just can't handle to much volume and power due to there size. I tried speakers from cheap to expensive. They all had the same result IMO. They handle next to nothing as far as bass response is concerned due to size. I don't want to go the route of having custom adapters made to install larger speakers as it would take away from the overall look of the bike. Maybe I'm to fussy and set my expectations to high. So for now I have the amp and stock speakers installed and live with it.If you go with 6 1/2" speakers they should sound good as they will be able to handle the power and overall frequencies that most of us are looking for. Please let me know what you come up with to adapt that size speaker. Good Luck.

2012 Vaquero
1700 Nomad
(Deceased)
Cobra Tri-Ovals
Racnrays Invention (Throttle Mod)
Ivan's flash
Thunder Tornado Big Air Kit

Old 10-27-2014, 09:31 PM   #11

I tried the Polk DX521? Stock were much better, but did so without amp.

Old 10-28-2014, 03:44 AM   #12

I installed a clarion class D small amp with infinity speakers.. a good boost in sound and fuller music.. I use to have the avc @ 3 but now its on 1 because it got to loud @ higher speeds.. was worth it for around 140 bucks .
DRIVING AUX LIGHTS
KURYAKYN GRIPS RAY'S THROTTLE MODE
CORBIN YOUNG GUNS SEAT
CHROME TANK COVER
14" WINDSHEILD
INFINITY SPEAKERS
KURYAKYN CUP HOLDER

IPOD CONNECTOR
TORDADO AIR KIT
RIDE THE LIGHTNING