Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 10-25-2012, 12:56 PM   #1

Additional storage for the Nomad

He guys, in a slight conundrum here. I have no issues with fitting most of my stuff in the saddle bags, but I like to keep stuff like my cell phone, house keys, and occasionally wallet out of my pockets, but dont want them in the saddle bags. Also be able to keep a tire pressure gauge without digging through a full saddle bag.

With my other bike I use a tank bag on a gas cap mount, or a strap mount tank bag. Neither of which are really options on the 1700.

So I was checking out things like windshield bags, tank bibs with pockets, handle bar mounts for stuff, etc.

Another member linked this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Waterproof-C...item2a1ee72c16

Which should work well, especially for a GPS or cell phone. Still want something else, though.

I have never added luggage like this to a cruiser, so I dont know if I need to get the Kawasaki windshield bag for $80, (seems a bit small), or if something from another brand will fit.

Am I overthinking this, and I should just go order one and mount it? Deal with the saddle bags?

Thanks!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-25-2012, 01:12 PM   #2
Mega-Contributor

Sounds like you need a tourpak.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 10-25-2012, 01:17 PM   #3

Doesnt solve the problem of having to go looking for my phone/wallet/stuff. I only need something along the size of 4x4x8, but something like those triple windshield bags that so many with a bike like yours have.

With that said, yes, a TourPak would be nice, just havent had the inclination to really pursue it.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:35 PM   #4

I have this magnetic tank bag. http://www.nelsonrigg.com/store/product.aspx?pid=1664 It functions really well & the magnets are nice & strong, I just don't like the cramped feeling I get when I use it because it's a little large. I would like to have one about half this size for just what you're talking about. Hmmm, maybe I should start looking.

This looks kinda interesting. http://www.nelsonrigg.com/store/product.aspx?pid=438

VBA #01922

Last edited by Pitchinguy; 10-25-2012 at 01:45 PM.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:59 PM   #5

where does it sit on the tank? Got pics?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-25-2012, 02:11 PM   #6

The eBay link is to a "waterproof" GPS case for the bars. I've seen reviews on amazon saying this case is not waterproof. The zippers and the gasket for the cord leak. Also the cord port is not in a great spot.

Old 10-25-2012, 02:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeSofa View Post
The eBay link is to a "waterproof" GPS case for the bars. I've seen reviews on amazon saying this case is not waterproof. The zippers and the gasket for the cord leak. Also the cord port is not in a great spot.

Thanks! Any other similar options, other than something like a Pelican Case?

I am not too concerned with water proof, as I dont normally ride in the rain, and could quickly stow this if needed, but a better product is always nice!

Old 10-25-2012, 02:25 PM   #8

Just measure how much room you have for the bag then go on Ebay and look at tank bags.
Find one that will fits in that space and buy it.
If you have to drill different holes in the back of the bag it will be no big deal.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 10-25-2012, 02:34 PM   #9
Advanced Member

For just mounting a GPS I have been happy with the item you linked - Heck I may have the guy who originally posted that - I have ridden with my GPS in that in heavy rain with no problems - Only issue I have is that it is hard to read the GPS sometimes in bright light.

If you are looking for windshield bags - Shoot me a PM - I have two sets (two bags per set) - one large and one smaller that I had on my Sabre - You can try them out if you want . . .

Thunder Air Kit
Power Pro
Cobra Tri-Ovals
Wrapped Header Pipes
Heat Deflectors (from ebay)
CB/Rear Speakers
Avon grips with Throttle Magic by RACNRAY
Shiny Chrome stuff
Michelin Commander IIs
Kury T/S Mirrors
Sagebrush Design tank bib w/pouch
Russell Day Long Seat w/Backrest
Lots of Miles and Many More Smiles!

Blue Knights - Virginia II
Ride With Pride

Old 10-25-2012, 02:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
Just measure how much room you have for the bag then go on Ebay and look at tank bags.
Find one that will fits in that space and buy it.
If you have to drill different holes in the back of the bag it will be no big deal.
Cool, thanks! Didnt know if they were "drill/punch your own", or what. I found a Willie and Max velcro, but didnt want that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by napom View Post
For just mounting a GPS I have been happy with the item you linked - Heck I may have the guy who originally posted that - I have ridden with my GPS in that in heavy rain with no problems - Only issue I have is that it is hard to read the GPS sometimes in bright light.

If you are looking for windshield bags - Shoot me a PM - I have two sets (two bags per set) - one large and one smaller that I had on my Sabre - You can try them out if you want . . .
I think it was you!

Ill shoot you a PM in a little while... Thanks!

Old 10-25-2012, 03:04 PM   #11

Another thought, the old fanny packs work great on sissy bars. I used one on my 1600 for years but stopped using it when I got this Nomad. About the right size & you can strap it most anywhere. Walmart still has them.

VBA #01922

Old 10-25-2012, 03:45 PM   #12

There are some good ideas in this thread.

http://www.vulcanbagger.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=29955
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 10-25-2012, 03:56 PM   #13
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchinguy View Post
Another thought, the old fanny packs work great on sissy bars. I used one on my 1600 for years but stopped using it when I got this Nomad. About the right size & you can strap it most anywhere. Walmart still has them.
Fanny packs never went out of style, just go to Sun City on a weekend and you see seniors sporting them all over the place.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 10-25-2012, 06:49 PM   #14

I had a Wolfman Enduro tankbag on my DR650 to keep extra ear plugs, parking pass, mp3 player, cell phone, wallet, sunglasses, and all that kind of nitnoid stuff for commuting to work. Was going to get a purpose-made 'cruiser' tank bag and in the interim was going to use the Wolfman as a temporary measure. But the Wolfman has turned out to be just the ticket. I just move it from a bike to bike. The length is a perfect fit to not cover the information display.

Old 10-26-2012, 09:49 AM   #15

On my Concours and now on the ST1300 I have small compartments in the fairing/dash for tire pressure gauge, advil, sun screen, etc.. I really missed those on my Nomad. My solution was a small cloth travel pouch with a zipper that I kept in the left saddlebag. Easy access and I didn't have to rummage around for things in the saddlebag. Worked very well.

Dan K
Member #100
2009 ST1300: Performance exceeding even Victory riders' boasts.